BBS02 750w with pannier mounted Turnigy Multistar 16ah

ThunderDuck

100 µW
I recall some people were interested in pannier mounting batteries so I thought I'd upload a couple of photos of my build.

There is a Turnigy Multistar 16ah brick in each of the panniers driving a BBS02 750w. The bikes handling characteristics are not
compromised as the weight is kept very low. Pannier mounting also makes for quick removal when it comes time to recharge.

As you can see the bike is quite stealthy.

RIMG0118.JPG

Some car audio fuse bling.

RIMG0120.JPG

So far travelled around 260klms with no problems.

Room for at least another 3 of those batteries in each side yet. :idea:

Gday KKid ... your extra 3 batts either side would extend the range to > 320 klms.
Thats about three hundred more than my average ride!
Perhaps a couple of those 10 ah bricks. Now they would fit neatly in the
small outer pockets and extend the range to a useful 130klms ... hmmn

Can we get a picture of your batteries?

Thats a nice mounted Battery. I usualy dont like Batterys mounted on the Bike, but yours look nice!

I have ordered a Bafang 250W for my mother, we was testriding some Pedelecs together last week (a cube Bike with the new Bosch-Drife, Panasonics etz.) but she (and me) liked the feeling of the Bafang more, + she wants the Battery in the Cargo-Bags similar like you did it.

Is your Motor at 750w getting extremly hot sometimes?

ambroseliao said:
Can we get a picture of your batteries?

Sure ... will take some photos next recharge.

Foppel ... I am a big guy at > 110kgs. I mostly use pedal assist #2 of 3 and
with the appropriate gear for terrain. After a long hill climb the motor
is warm becoming hot, but well within normal operating temperature.

LIke it a lot,

What voltage do the two turingy multistar 16ah come out at, 44.4 volts ? (Is it the 22.2v model ? )

Do you feed them straight to the bbs02 ? Did you have to modify/configure something in the bbs02 controller software to have accurate readouts and battery cutoff, for the 44.2 voltage of the two batteries ?

Thanks

2 Multistars are 44.4V nominal.
I charge mine to 4.1v per cell so thats 49.2v hot off the charger and I have ,on a couple of occasions, run them down to LVC on the BBS02 and they are then around 3.5v per cell.
Normally I stop at 3.6v per cell and they stay balanced then but any lower and they are to balance charge.
No need to alter any settings to run them,the voltage readout on the lcd is pretty useless for lipo as they have a very flat discharge curve until they hit the cliff!
I use a wattmeter on my bike so I always know the total voltage left and how many Ah I have used.
This was my first wattmeter,very cheap and now attached to my bulk charger .
CAM02286_zps74ed2357.jpg

P1020443_zps2c171324.jpg

Thanks KINNINVIEKID !

So you fix the wattmeter to the handlebar to see where the batteries are at, or just keep it in the battery compartment and check from time to time ? The wattmeter is connected to the batteries' "charging" cables I guess... ?

What wattmeter do you use on your bike now ?

Also what charger do you use with the Multistar 16AH ?

Can the BBS02 controller be configured to cutoff at 43.2v (3.6v per cell) or 42.6v (3.55v per cell) ?

Do the controller/BMS boards measure the voltage cutoff point under load or at rest ?

I don't know if it's possible but could be cool to make a screen that centralizes data from both the wattmeter and the bbs02 controller...

I use a GT power 130A wattmeter currently mounted in a handlebar mounted smartphone holder (along with a temperature guage) but I will be mounting it on the frame top tube shortly with velcro.
It is connected to the power cables between batteries and motor.
I use a pair of Meanwell NES 350-48 chargers in parallel to charge at 17A
You would have to look at the programming thread on here to see if lvc can be altered,I am happy to leave mine as standard as the meter allows me to see what the battery voltage is at any time.
Voltage cutoff is under load on all controllers.

Ant1,
If you're worried about over discharging and you don't want to get a Watt meter to mount to your handlebars they have voltage meters that plug into the JST balancing leads on LiPO that have an alarm that will sound at a specified voltage so you know to cut it off.

G'day all ... regarding overdischarge I don't rely on anything more sophisticated than the the
Bafang electronics. I try and keep everything as simple as practicable and while adding a wattmeter
would be nice, I consider it unnecessary for my usage. In practise I recharge at the 1.5 - 2 bars which
equates to 50 - 60 klms range. If pushed to the limit my understanding is that voltage sag from these
bricks would trigger the LVC before any damage to the batteries would occur.

Back