BBS02 / 8Fun pedals grinding, noise and lock up

I have an old BBS02 750w labeled 8Fun that I bought used. I think it's likely a 2018 model. It's on an Xtracycle cargo bike/long tail. I have for a while felt like the motor noise and the feeling in the pedals is not quite right, especially at low speeds with low or no pedal assist, but then one day it was bad, it locked up and I can pedal it when it's off but once the motor engages it makes a bad sound and locks up at times. I live in a small city in Portugal, I did not think my bike shop could help but my bike mechanic says he will open it up to look and thinks it might be a bearing. I think I will have to buy a new motor and replace it myself, but if I could just buy a couple of parts that would be much less expensive. I want to know if any of you can help diagnose the issue from the sound, i have a video on Imgur and Google Photos New video by Chris, Hella, Dean & Zoe McSocks and Imgur
I appreciate any advice or guesses you have. Thank you

You'd have to open it up to see which part is the problem; it sounds like a gear-meshing issue (broken teeth, or debris stuck in them), rather than a bearing, but if a bearing ball or clutch roller has disintegrated and is munching up the other balls it could sound like that.

You'd have to open it up to see which part is the problem; it sounds like a gear-meshing issue (broken teeth, or debris stuck in them), rather than a bearing, but if a bearing ball or clutch roller has disintegrated and is munching up the other balls it could sound like that.
It's the pinion gear. it looks bad. I should replace the large gear too though it is only a little worn.

thanks for your reply.

I am in the EU, there is a website fasterbikes.eu that has some parts, but my BBS02 is the type A, which has a 10mm pinion gear, and they only sell the 12mm pinion gear which is the latest BBS02 type B model. I'm afraid I will have to wait weeks for this part from China.

It's the pinion gear. it looks bad. I should replace the large gear too though it is only a little worn.

thanks for your reply.

I am in the EU, there is a website fasterbikes.eu that has some parts, but my BBS02 is the type A, which has a 10mm pinion gear, and they only sell the 12mm pinion gear which is the latest BBS02 type B model. I'm afraid I will have to wait weeks for this part from China.
Weeks "IF" they are available. If you do find first version parts please do share the source?

Weeks "IF" they are available. If you do find first version parts please do share the source?
My mechanic found the right pinion gear in green bike kit.com
They have the 10mm pinion gear for the BBS02A, and the 12m for the BBS02B models.

Back