BBS02 motor whine

Interesting evaluation amberwolf. I'm at wits end trying to resolve this. I like the fact that your suggestion is safe, inexpensive, and actually a design improvement.

When I reassemble the motor tomorrow, I'm going to try peddling the motor as fast as possible without a chain on it just to see what it sounds like. I haven't done that yet. Probably should have done that first before changing both bearings for the rotor!! :shock:

Doesn't the motor have a freewheel/clutch between it and the pedals so that they can't backdrive it? (I'm not intimately familiar with the BBSxx systems)

If it does, perhaps you could use a drill to spin the motor shaft directly (if it will fit in the chuck).

amberwolf said:
Doesn't the motor have a freewheel/clutch between it and the pedals so that they can't backdrive it? (I'm not intimately familiar with the BBSxx systems)

Your correct in that it won't pedal backwards. I was just going to pedal like normal, spinning the motor in the same direction as under power.

What's your thinking on spinning the motor backwards? Not sure.

Unless the system works differently than the other middrives I'm more familiar with, pedalling forward shouldn't spin the motor at all (the clutch is there to prevent the motor adding drag to the pedals).

Pedalling backwards might drive the motor; I'm not sure how it's internal clutch works.

Back