BBS02B Latest Firmware or know where to get?

Muramura

100 mW
Hey people of the bike forum,

I have a bafang bbs02b 52v thats acting up, with the throttle, going full throttle with like 5% and above...so something broke.. I just tried to use Stefans 2.2b version programmer seems to be issues since this is a older firmware just used karls preset? the motor has crr1094824e010015.3_170815.hex firmware just want to know if anyone knowledgeable or knows someone with the latest firmware. The throttle works normally with ramp up, in a standstill and lifted off. but once load is there meaing my fat booty it acts weird. please share or help bleeh ;P

There are a few firmwares around the forum for BBSxx, most of them are probably in the "voltage fix" thread posted by me for someone else.
BUT: not every firmware even within a model is compatible with the hardware of every version of that model, and you can probably brick your controller by using the wrong one.

If your hardware is of a different version than the "latest firmware" you're after is for, it may flash, but then leave the hardware inoperable and unflashable. :(

So...choose carefully, and understand the risks. ;)

There are a few firmwares around the forum for BBSxx, most of them are probably in the "voltage fix" thread posted by me for someone else.
BUT: not every firmware even within a model is compatible with the hardware of every version of that model, and you can probably brick your controller by using the wrong one.

If your hardware is of a different version than the "latest firmware" you're after is for, it may flash, but then leave the hardware inoperable and unflashable. :(

So...choose carefully, and understand the risks. ;)
thats for the bbshd tho? not my bbs02b.....

The thread is about the BBSHD, but I recall people posting about the 02 as well--I don't know what firmwares are in there or what they work on...that you'd have to check on. ;)

Same with other BBSxx threads with firmwares...it's not always clear from what someone posts whcih one it's for or was found to work on (this is true of other websites as well).

If anyone has info or a contract at bafang thats with there firmware team would be awesome, thanks but guess ill have to be a nerd and do it myself.

Bafang is.. an interesting company. Their products are mostly solid, and I enjoy working with them (the products), but the company is awful. They distribute through a structure / pattern that somewhat screws over distributors and leaves them with the bill in many cases, they offer zero support to end-users (us), they release no software for DIY upgrades, installs, or otherwise, and they're virtual impossible for us peasants to get ahold of.

You'll have to be a nerd and do it yourself. That is the entire basis of this forum.

So.. welcome 😉

hahaha yeah I thought that might be the case, its sad to see such a great platform go south especially since they went to canbus. I thought this might be the case but thought maybe someone ahead might know some solutions lol. but guess ill be hopeful if not ill go find a controller that is easy to program and swap in. Just money and time is all hahah

if not ill go find a controller that is easy to program and swap in

The Phaserunner or Baserunner have both been used for BBSxx systems, dunno if anyone is presently selling the wiring harness to just drop it in, but there's threads on various versions of conversions around here.

I think at least one VESC conversion has also been done.

if not ill go find a controller that is easy to program and swap in

The Phaserunner or Baserunner have both been used for BBSxx systems, dunno if anyone is presently selling the wiring harness to just drop it in, but there's threads on various versions of conversions around here.

I think at least one VESC conversion has also been done.
yeah I was thinking of doing so or a bac controller since its cheaper and more robust. or use a vesc controller and go super diy lol but I appreciate it just trying to use what I got you know lol

Grin's *runner is the BAC in a different casing but with usable setup software and some community support (not much help to be had from ASI on anything they sell based on most reports; they really only seem to want to deal with OEMs).

Grin's *runner is the BAC in a different casing but with usable setup software and some community support (not much help to be had from ASI on anything they sell based on most reports; they really only seem to want to deal with OEMs).
yeah I heard about that years ago, its more so a less industrial product only using there boards from a bac855.

so was wondering if you might know why my throttle is only going 100% the whole time then granular. somehow there is a conflict or maybe my throttle died or a hall sensor?? software settings that conflict

so was wondering if you might know why my throttle is only going 100% the whole time then granular. somehow there is a conflict or maybe my throttle died or a hall sensor?? software settings that conflict
You'll have to explain what you mean, exactly. Describe the specific behavior you're seeing, and the specific inputs you are making at those moments, and the specific conditions you're riding under at that time. More detail is more likely to be helpful than less.

If it is something that has not always behaved this way, then specifying what has been changed in the system, or what specifically happened to the system, just before the behavior began, will help. Also specifying the behavior the system had before this new behavior would help.

You'll have to explain what you mean, exactly. Describe the specific behavior you're seeing, and the specific inputs you are making at those moments, and the specific conditions you're riding under at that time. More detail is more likely to be helpful than less.

If it is something that has not always behaved this way, then specifying what has been changed in the system, or what specifically happened to the system, just before the behavior began, will help. Also specifying the behavior the system had before this new behavior would help.
Well I used a programmer to change the stock settings config from the firmware crr1094824e010015.3_170815.hex, it was stefans 2.2b version, at first it read the config wrong but I refreshed it, seemed to fix it but idk just seemed buggy like thats why i asked if anyone had the most recent version frimware for me to flash, I used karls special sauce which was the config it had like 4yrs ago probably when I bought it at luna. but I also did a hydraulic brake refill/flush which could have gotten mineral oil somewhere to cause this issue.

The problem now is the throttle will only go full throttle at even a slight press! Then be linear from 0-100% increments. Idk what setting would cause this or if its a combo of settings that make this happen or if the throttle just failed.

Given the situation, if the system originally came from Luna, your best bet is to contact them (if they're still around and answering) and ask them for the firmware version and settings they used on this type of drive at the time you bought yours. They might not bother to keep any of that around, but they might.

If the throttle itself had failed (without having had some obvious mechanical failure, or an impact event, water intrusion event, etc that you would know about), you'd almost certainly either have no output from it at all, or only full output (which the controller would usually call a fault and not operate at all).

Mechanical / etc damage to throttles can dislodge their magnets that can cause them to start at too high a voltage, or not go to high enough a voltage, but not normally the kind of output required to cause what you see. Throttles are usually cheap, so it's not an expensive test--but most likely not a fix.

If you flashed a different firmware than what you had, and/or changed settings, that's more likely to be the cause, as there are threads here about the BBSxx throttle-response problems with various versions of hardware and software. Some of them require internal controller hardware changes to correct, but those are for systems that didn't work right to start with; yours did, so I doubt the hardware fix would work.

I can't think of how a brake leak could cause an electrical problem like you are seeing. But even if oil had gotten into something like the throttle you'd be able to feel it on the outside as well from wherever it got onto it to be able to enter, etc (same is true of any other oil intrusion into electrical system parts--you'd presumably know wherever excess oil went as you were working, or see/feel it on there afterward, and be able to then check those parts).

Given the situation, if the system originally came from Luna, your best bet is to contact them (if they're still around and answering) and ask them for the firmware version and settings they used on this type of drive at the time you bought yours. They might not bother to keep any of that around, but they might.

If the throttle itself had failed (without having had some obvious mechanical failure, or an impact event, water intrusion event, etc that you would know about), you'd almost certainly either have no output from it at all, or only full output (which the controller would usually call a fault and not operate at all).

Mechanical / etc damage to throttles can dislodge their magnets that can cause them to start at too high a voltage, or not go to high enough a voltage, but not normally the kind of output required to cause what you see. Throttles are usually cheap, so it's not an expensive test--but most likely not a fix.

If you flashed a different firmware than what you had, and/or changed settings, that's more likely to be the cause, as there are threads here about the BBSxx throttle-response problems with various versions of hardware and software. Some of them require internal controller hardware changes to correct, but those are for systems that didn't work right to start with; yours did, so I doubt the hardware fix would work.

I can't think of how a brake leak could cause an electrical problem like you are seeing. But even if oil had gotten into something like the throttle you'd be able to feel it on the outside as well from wherever it got onto it to be able to enter, etc (same is true of any other oil intrusion into electrical system parts--you'd presumably know wherever excess oil went as you were working, or see/feel it on there afterward, and be able to then check those parts).
I did, the customer rep was giving me hogwash responses like I been here 12yrs and know what I'm talking about, he had no clue what I was telling him or asking him about firmware files or any config files of there controllers just not technical at all!.. only a replace warranty guy. Just very infuriating then he proceeded to give me golden motors firmware not thinking I would not see what he did, which I knew he did without telling me . This was last year but still upset with people like that.

The firmware is the 52v bbs02b firmware just might not be the latest out there....hence everything of why I posted.

As for the throttle I could see if I got another one around it is 4yrs old or more I think...Might need to redo the firmware flash maybe it didn't stick enough or just glitched out when I tried to use the software to change parameters settings...

Last edited:
Hopefully you can fix it just by resetting up the various parameters. If not:

The firmware is the 52v bbs02b firmware just might not be the latest out there....hence everything of why I posted.

You probably don't want to hear it, but as I said before, you don't want "latest" (unless you're sure that was what you had, and that no newer FW than that was ever released).

You want what you already had that worked.

"Latest" might not work at all, or may just brick the whole thing, or do some other random change to behavior, etc.

If you're just looking for potential fixes, then you can simply try *any* version of firmware that is compatible with the specific set of hardware your system uses (which there is not really much way to know without testing it, unless you happen to find a compatibility list somewhere).

I don't know which threads or websites have BBS02 FW actually uploaded to them (or linked from them), but you could just try each one of them that you find, as long as you're willing to accept that you may have to buy a new system (or parts) if it bricks it. And that each firmware probably has some other behavior different from what you were used to...but you might also randomly chance on the FW you already had without knowing it. ;)

Back