BBSHD on a Giant Seek 1?

titusmc

100 W
I'm about to buy a Giant Seek 1 (2016) to use as a pedal commuter with the intent to convert it to electric in the future. It has a Shimano Alfine 8-speed IGH and uses an eccentric bottom bracket for chain tensioning.

Does anyone know if it is possible to install a BBSHD on an eccentric bottom bracket? If so, would it be any harder to install than a normal BB?

I also realize that pumping lots of power through the IGH may cause it to fail, but I'm willing to take that risk.

Seek-1-Aluminum.jpg

Not the same bike, but for those who may not know what an eccentric bottom bracket looks like.
IMG_4272.jpg

If the eccentric BB accepts standard cranksets then it is just matter of determining BB width. Given your mission for this bike and the known weaknesses of the Alfine 8 perhaps a BBS02 would get the job done. And save some money.

Just committed to buying the Giant Seek 1 from my LBS!

I may not convert it for awhile, but I will update if I do. The BBS02 seems attractive to me since I usually cruise at 20 mph and only want power on hills.

A 750w mid-drive would meet my needs, I think - I just like over-engineering things (I'm an engineer, after all) - is it possible for an end-user to limit a BBSHD to 750W? Would this even offer any benefit over a BBS02 other than allowing for future hot-rodding?

You can use a PC and the programming cable to set the amperage to any level you like, even down to the 250w eurolimit! No real advantage though in having all that headroom unless you are going to use it eventually.

is it possible for an end-user to limit a BBSHD to 750W? Would this even offer any benefit over a BBS02 other than allowing for future hot-rodding?

Yes. It can have its amps moderated.

Comparing the BBS02 and the BBSHD, the HD will run cooler at all amp levels. If both were running up the same steep uphill, the HD would have the option of running higher amps and pushing a higher gear while running a higher speed. Both would need to downshift, but the HD has the option of not needing to downshift quite as low to keep the motor from overheating. If you limit the BBSHD to 750W, then I see no benefit over the BBS02, they'd both have the same "power"

I suppose it depends on how steep your hills are, and how fast you like to go. If you can be happy with around 1000W, then the HD would be more expensive and heavier than necessary. The BBS02 struggles with heat near 1500W, depending on how often you give it a lot of heat. At 1500W, the BBSHD is not straining.

Back