Beleeb c40 variable voltage battery charger

I've been looking around for a variable voltage battery charger and came across this one. I need one that goes up to at least 72v. I thought about the lab power supply route but I'm not the only one that will be using it so I need it to be somewhat safe and easy to use. Like the grin Satiator 5A which is always sold out or sold for an increased price on ebay. Any of you guys use one before? Mostly positive reviews. Costs $179.99. I'll provide the link below. If it doesn't work go to Amazon and find it, it's the c40 model. Not sure where I was suppose to post this, so hopefully it's fine here. Also surprisingly I couldn't find any other threads about this on here. Hopefully this will help others in search of the holy grail of battery chargers.

Screenshot_20240301_150147_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301_150206_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301_150206_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240301_150113_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301_150113_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 2
Some of the negative amazon reviews are fairly scary, such as the one that failed with internal arc/flash when turned on; another received with corrosion, etc.

I haven't looked at the other sites it's sold on to see how bad the problems with those.

It does not have a way to set a specific current limit (just low medium or high, however much those happen to be), so it can damage batteries (cells and/or BMS) by charging at too high a current. Unless you have a very large pack that can handle high charging currents, you could set your pack (and bike) on fire, if your BMS doesn't protect against charging overcurrent (most don't). For instance, there's not many 36v ebike packs that could handle 12A charge current; most of the 48v ones wouldn't handle 10A, etc. Most of them would be doing good to handle 2-3A of charge current, especially as they age.

It does not say what "low, medium, or high" are, not even as a proportion of the "max" current, and it says specifically there isn't a way to set an actual current. So you sets your knobs and you takes your chances. :roll:
1709344397026.png

The ad's pictures (the large one in your post) state chemistry specifically only lead types. It says that it has has voltages compatible with various common ebike packs, but it does not have any way to set it to a specific chemistry (and there's no way it could know or detect this on it's own), so if it is trying to charge whatever pack is connected as if it was some other kind of pack, it could damage the pack (or start a fire).

It's "4 stage" charging (that you can't change) first "pulses" the current (in what way and by how much it does not say, which in itself is dangerous), then at some unstated point it changes to CC mode, then CV mode, then something it calls "recharging", which does not appear to be an actual mode--it would just be responding to a BMS that's in balancing mode (turning it's input on and off as needed, disconnecting and reconnecting the charger).
1709344481816.png

I don't think I'd want to use this thing.

I would give that a oh hell no.

And I charge things with a bench power supply, and a timing circuit I built myself...

I would know exactly what a bench PSU*** is doing....I could only guess what the Beelzebub charger up there is doing. :/

***I use a few different Sorensons for this kind of thing on occasion, when I'm not using a Meanwell LED PSU (HLG600H54A) or a Grin Satiator (or a charger that came with a battery).

Oh, I was not defaming the good name of bench power units everywhere... I was saying some idiot left me alone with a soldering iron and circuit boards.

Back