Best bang for the buck winter tire?

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Heya all, I have seen the Nokians and the Schwalbe Ice Spikers, but what I need is more of a road oriented tread micro knobbie or w/e instead of a full on MTB Off Road tread as here we get black ice, hardly any snow and I'd really like something more like this:

52621.jpg

But with the design to grip on ice.

I would just get Ice Spikers or Nokians, but I'm on pavement 90% of the time, and the knobbies would give me less traction.

I'm also looking for the "bargain" version, I love my Schwalbes, but as a wise man has already said, it don't matter how much $$$ you spend, a 1/4 screw will destroy any tire, so I am trying to avoid the premium priced tires (i.e. buying the IRC Cyclops instead of the Schwalbe Big Apple) if I can.

I would REALLY like something that had a special compound with walnut shell or something instead of metal studs if they exist?

Thanks! :)

Well, I didn't find anything that looked promising in a cheap tire, however, I DID find my favorite 700C tire in a 26!

These are NOT cheap, but neither is a crash because you slipped on ice!

Handmade German tires are never going to be cheap, but if they save me a spill on black ice, they are worth their weight in gold!

Continental Top Contact: 26 X 2.0

coclj-1.jpg

$60 really hurts! :shock:

Now you know I am going to catch another soldering iron (not just the tip this time :roll: :lol: ) in the tire now that I am running an even more expensive tire ... oh well only while it's threatening snow.

Maybe I will get lucky and we get a really big snow storm again this year and I can try out some real snow tires with studs!

I just picked up a pair of these for $30!! Brand new!! I love browsing the used bike stores in Portland! :mrgreen:

15395191_large.jpg

15395190_large.jpg

I might not use these until I am able to do a cross country trip, but if we get another freak snow storm like we did a couple years back, these will be the tires to have! (well, on the front anyway, the rear is a 26 inch. :wink: )

Ok, so I looked up a lot about studded tires, and it would seem that I was misinformed, studs are still the way to go, just the right studded tire for the job.

I found exactly what I was looking for here, but not in a 26 inch:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

noka10.jpg

I got this info from the guys over at bent rider (lotta crazy people like us there too who ride in the winter too! :twisted: ) and there is even a 20 inch made by Schwalbe, Marathon Winter: (same site as above)

swlwinter1.jpg

I would however prefer a fatter 20 inch if I can get it, hoping that there is some kind of studded winter BMX tire out there that is less knobby and more street oriented.

Oh! Almost forgot to mention, this is the 26 inch tire that I have found and will get instead of my Continental Top Contact:

26" Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 (same site as above)

Hak26sideview.jpg
Hak26topview.jpg

LI-ghtcycle said:
.... and there is even a 20 inch made by Schwalbe, Marathon Winter: (same site as above)

swlwinter1.jpg

I would however prefer a fatter 20 inch if I can get it, hoping that there is some kind of studded winter BMX tire out there that is less knobby and more street oriented.

i would be cautious for the moment with the Schwalbe Marathon Winter for an e-bike. See my post here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33739
Lost 30% of studs on rear wheel on my first ride.

Vendor got them back for a check, apparently they had similar problems in the past. We'll see what they say.

Good to know, I took back the other tires I had considered, and ended up with this for a rear tire:

scss72-1.jpg

I got one with some traded in used tires + $30 cash, so not too bad!

I'm going to look real hard for a 20 inch, I really want something 1.9 inch wide though, and now that I hear that the marathon winter is throwing studs, that is just more reason to find a better tire, or possibly take a nice soft compound BMX and use the DIY method with screws into the lugs.

My Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 26x2.10 just arrived. Impressive number of spikes for an impressive price (EUR 80 per tire).
large_IceSpiker.JPG

Photo of what I actually received will follow tonight.

I will only ride these when it has actually snowed on the road. As Hugues mentioned that he lost 30% of the spikes, I will be driving very carefully with them, and hopefully they will last a couple of winters.

When it is not snowing and no ice, I just use these specific Ebike tires: Schwalbe Energizer 47-559 26x1.75.
large_energizer.JPG

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...continental-topcontact-winter-ii-tires_197231

Review: Continental TopContact Winter II tires

By Caley Fretz
Published Nov 6th 2011 3:07 PM UTC

IMG_9588.jpg

The Winter IIs are designed with a cold-weather rubber compound. Photo: Caley Fretz

As much as I enjoy entertaining my fellow commuters, impersonating a dreidel in the middle of the street at rush hour just isn’t a good time. Plus, the patch of snow or ice that just sent me sprawling is likely to prevent the nearest rolling death box from avoiding me, which makes keeping the rubber side down doubly important.

This aversion to both humiliation and possible death spurs my annual search for winter commuter tires, something that will keep me safely trudging through nasty mornings while still rolling well enough to keep riding from being a chore.

Generally, my two top picks for winter are studded tires, like the Schwalbe Marathon Winter we featured in this month’s issue of Velo magazine, or knobby cyclocross tires, which have obvious benefits in the snow while still rolling acceptably on pavement.

The first contender this year is neither. Continental’s TopContact Winter II has neither studs nor big knobs. I was skeptical.
The specs

The first secret of the Winter II lies in its hundreds of tiny micro-siping channels. (Conti calls them lamellae, which I thought were the little frills under a mushroom. I guess they look similar.) The second is a soft, winter-specific rubber compound designed to maintain its grip in cold temperatures. Why tiny little siping channels instead of big knobs? Because big rubber knobs can’t bite into ice; traction is determined by the sheer quantity of edges attempting to grab hold.

The tread compound is optimized for cold weather, like a winter car tire. In warm weather the rubber is incredibly soft, easily squished around with a finger. As the mercury drops it firms up to a more reasonable durometer. Regular tires become super hard in the cold, compromising traction.

The Winter II is available in 700x37c or 26×1.9-inch sizes, which should fit any cyclocross, touring or mountain bike frame. Suggested retail is a competitive $65. The casing is a triple ply with 180tpi and a PolyX breaker for extra puncture resistance, and has a reflective stripe down the side for extra visibility.

I tested the 700x37s on my cyclocross-framed commuter. They measure a true 35mm, which I was concerned about initially but turned out to be a benefit in certain conditions. Weight is 607g per tire on our scale.
Where they’ll work
2011 Continental TopContact Winter II, tread

I was amazed that the Winter IIs held on to ice even without studs. I wouldn't try to turn quickly or brake hard, but coasting over a nasty patch is no problem. Photo: Caley Fretz

Traction on slippery surfaces is drastically increased over a regular touring-type tire, matching or even exceeding a cyclocross tire in certain conditions. The Winter II handles short sections of ice, even nasty black ice, much better than any ’cross tire I’ve used, though a studded tire still inspires far more confidence.

With less than four inches or so of snow on the ground, the Winter IIs cut through and use their contact surface area and soft compound to provide excellent grip.
Where they won’t

Deep snow is a no-go. The lack of side knobs makes tracking or turning impossible if the tires can’t reach down to a hard surface. The good news is that it doesn’t really matter what that hard surface is: Ice or pavement, the Winter IIs grab hold. The 37c versions I used were narrow; they could almost always get down and bite onto something during our last five-inch storm. Any more snow and they’d be in trouble, though.

Though the Winter IIs roll admirably fast when it’s cold, the soft rubber gets even softer and slower when it gets warm. The hundreds of little siping bits squirm around on warm pavement, sending rolling resistance through the roof. It might be worth swapping them out if a week of 60-degree highs is forecast.

That same soft rubber picks up gravel and other spikey bits more than any tire I’ve ever used. I haven’t had any flats yet, but I have picked a few chunks of glass out of the tire that the PolyX breaker stopped.
The scoop

We’re just two storms into winter here in Boulder and I’m already a big fan of the Winter IIs. I love their versatility: They grip well on ice (which is what usually takes me out, not the snow); can take on a few inches of snow with ease; roll well on dry pavement; and come with more puncture protection that more cyclocross tires. For extreme conditions I’ll put on the studs, or ride my mountain bike, or just strap on my skis.

Best of all, I don’t feel the need to pull them off between storms the way I do studded tires. That’s appreciated here on the Front Range of the Rockies, where even big storms often melt off the roads within hours.

The Stig said:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...continental-topcontact-winter-ii-tires_197231

By Caley Fretz
Published Nov 6th 2011 3:07 PM UTC

IMG_9588.jpg

The Winter IIs are designed with a cold-weather rubber compound. Photo: Caley Fretz

As much as I enjoy entertaining my fellow commuters, impersonating a dreidel in the middle of the street at rush hour just isn’t a good time. Plus, the patch of snow or ice that just sent me sprawling is likely to prevent the nearest rolling death box from avoiding me, which makes keeping the rubber side down doubly important.

This aversion to both humiliation and possible death spurs my annual search for winter commuter tires, something that will keep me safely trudging through nasty mornings while still rolling well enough to keep riding from being a chore.

Generally, my two top picks for winter are studded tires, like the Schwalbe Marathon Winter we featured in this month’s issue of Velo magazine, or knobby cyclocross tires, which have obvious benefits in the snow while still rolling acceptably on pavement.

The first contender this year is neither. Continental’s TopContact Winter II has neither studs nor big knobs. I was skeptical.
The specs

The first secret of the Winter II lies in its hundreds of tiny micro-siping channels. (Conti calls them lamellae, which I thought were the little frills under a mushroom. I guess they look similar.) The second is a soft, winter-specific rubber compound designed to maintain its grip in cold temperatures. Why tiny little siping channels instead of big knobs? Because big rubber knobs can’t bite into ice; traction is determined by the sheer quantity of edges attempting to grab hold.

The tread compound is optimized for cold weather, like a winter car tire. In warm weather the rubber is incredibly soft, easily squished around with a finger. As the mercury drops it firms up to a more reasonable durometer. Regular tires become super hard in the cold, compromising traction.

The Winter II is available in 700x37c or 26×1.9-inch sizes, which should fit any cyclocross, touring or mountain bike frame. Suggested retail is a competitive $65. The casing is a triple ply with 180tpi and a PolyX breaker for extra puncture resistance, and has a reflective stripe down the side for extra visibility.

I tested the 700x37s on my cyclocross-framed commuter. They measure a true 35mm, which I was concerned about initially but turned out to be a benefit in certain conditions. Weight is 607g per tire on our scale.
Where they’ll work
2011 Continental TopContact Winter II, tread

I was amazed that the Winter IIs held on to ice even without studs. I wouldn't try to turn quickly or brake hard, but coasting over a nasty patch is no problem. Photo: Caley Fretz

Traction on slippery surfaces is drastically increased over a regular touring-type tire, matching or even exceeding a cyclocross tire in certain conditions. The Winter II handles short sections of ice, even nasty black ice, much better than any ’cross tire I’ve used, though a studded tire still inspires far more confidence.

With less than four inches or so of snow on the ground, the Winter IIs cut through and use their contact surface area and soft compound to provide excellent grip.
Where they won’t

Deep snow is a no-go. The lack of side knobs makes tracking or turning impossible if the tires can’t reach down to a hard surface. The good news is that it doesn’t really matter what that hard surface is: Ice or pavement, the Winter IIs grab hold. The 37c versions I used were narrow; they could almost always get down and bite onto something during our last five-inch storm. Any more snow and they’d be in trouble, though.

Though the Winter IIs roll admirably fast when it’s cold, the soft rubber gets even softer and slower when it gets warm. The hundreds of little siping bits squirm around on warm pavement, sending rolling resistance through the roof. It might be worth swapping them out if a week of 60-degree highs is forecast.

That same soft rubber picks up gravel and other spikey bits more than any tire I’ve ever used. I haven’t had any flats yet, but I have picked a few chunks of glass out of the tire that the PolyX breaker stopped.
The scoop

We’re just two storms into winter here in Boulder and I’m already a big fan of the Winter IIs. I love their versatility: They grip well on ice (which is what usually takes me out, not the snow); can take on a few inches of snow with ease; roll well on dry pavement; and come with more puncture protection that more cyclocross tires. For extreme conditions I’ll put on the studs, or ride my mountain bike, or just strap on my skis.

Best of all, I don’t feel the need to pull them off between storms the way I do studded tires. That’s appreciated here on the Front Range of the Rockies, where even big storms often melt off the roads within hours.

Very interesting article thanks!

I think I will still go for a studded tire after all, seems everyone who rides in the winter recommends them. Love to see an alternative that works just as well, maybe some day.

LI-ghtcycle said:
The Stig said:

The specs

Very interesting article thanks!

I think I will still go for a studded tire after all, seems everyone who rides in the winter recommends them. Love to see an alternative that works just as well, maybe some day.

Thats because these only came out very recently!! Not many people have had a chance to try these yet.

I'd like to see an ICE breaking test! With regen maybe so its like ABS.

I took my old Trek y-bike with knobby tires to werq in the last snowstorm we had some years back. Had a bad arm so couldn't shovel the snow the snowplows left to get the car out of the driveway. Figured I would wipe out on the e-bike and it was heavy. People thought I was insane but it really was not a problem riding in the ruts. We really don't get that much ice and snow around here still I guess being prepared for anything has it's good points.

Got my 20 inch Marathon Winter ordered! :D

scoi82-1.jpg

The local recumbent expert at Coventry Cycle Works not only recommends the MW, she has one on the front of her Bachetta high racer! 8)

I should have it in the next week.

It's skinnier than I would have preffered at 1.6 inches wide, but I hear it still does a fair job of cushioning the ride, and it has glowing reviews pretty much everywhere I look, so I'm sure it will do just fine. :)

LI-ghtcycle said:
Got my 20 inch Marathon Winter ordered! :D

The local recumbent expert at Coventry Cycle Works not only recommends the MW, she has one on the front of her Bachetta high racer! 8)

I should have it in the next week.

It's skinnier than I would have preffered at 1.6 inches wide, but I hear it still does a fair job of cushioning the ride, and it has glowing reviews pretty much everywhere I look, so I'm sure it will do just fine. :)

just be careful not to inflate them too much, i lost 30% studs on mine after one ride,inflated at 60 psi
back to vendor, Schwalbe has replaced them now with 2 new tires, will mount them this week-end

Those are what I'm riding on my bmx.

Make sure you follow the breaking in instructions.

I ride them fairly soft, maybe 35 lbs, if that. Havn't lost any studs yet.

But beware, while they make riding on ice an almost non-event, they are suprisingly slippery when hard braking on asphalt. (which you don't want to do anyway if you want to keep the studs in the tire).

Back