• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Best brakes for a trembley ebike - trembley like an OX

oh my goodness i love my 800 watt and 1500 watt ebikes
holey moley manchester canal towpaths
so the M65/T rim brakes are ok - but just not good enough
so can i change pad material?
OR?
must i get disks?
in which case what brand etc.

dont muck about you know we wont stand for it
thank you for your time

are the brakes able to cause the wheel to skid?

if yes, then you can't get better braking than that.

to do so, you'd have to change the tire itself. or change the surface the tire is skidding on (meaning, ride somewhere with better road/path surface--not usually an option).

if no, then you could try changing the pads, or the braking surface.

pads are easy. there are lots of pads out there, with different compounds.

the ones i've had the best luck with are by koolstop, the salmon pads if for wet conditions. you have to get the right pad style for your particular brake arm and rim surface, but the koolstop website should have enough info to help you pick the right pad style. if the salmon ones don't work you could try other compounds.

if none of the pads make a difference, then the problem could be in the braking surface itself. if the surface is excessively smooth, like steel chromed rims, or painted or anodized rims, the pads can't grab it very well.

if the levers simply have a lot of pull before you get significant braking, your housings or cables might be a problem. if they're bad enough, changing those to just about anything new and setting them up correctly would help, but there are some "really good" housings and cables like jagwire that are designed for very low friction and compression, so more of your lever action results in braking, without haivng to first compress the housing and then stretch the cable, and without letting the brakes "stick on" that wears the pads out.

adjusting the pads for evenness and getting them as close as possible to the rim with the lever unpulled, will help you get more braking sooner.

if you end up having to go disc (which i doubt), the avid bb7 cable-operated mechanical brake with 200 (203)mm rotor is what i use on the front of my sb cruiser trike, and that will skid the wheel (and give fine control up to that point) from 20mph; the trike is about 500lbs with me on it, and it still works to skid the wheel even with another 300lbs+ in the cargo area. if i had better weigth distribution, it would brake at higher levels before skidding...at some point i'd still hit the traction limit of the front tire, and skidding would still happen.

Before you fool around with disc brakes, give your rim brakes a chance to demonstrate their capabilities. Replace the cables with die-drawn slick stainless wires and good quality plastic-lined housings. Replace the pads with Kool Stop “Salmon” (red iron oxide) or “E-bike” (gray) compound replacements. Ideally, have the installation and adjustment done by a seasoned professional, because there’s a lot of subtlety to getting it right.

Back