• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Best folding eBike for NYC subway commuting?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lightweight folding ebike for my first/last mile commute in to NYC. I'd prefer something slightly stealth due to NYC laws, but as far as I can tell the main targets are commercial delivery drivers so it's not a huge issue. I would only need to get 5-10 miles on a single charge, so I would sacrifice range if it could get me something more compact or lightweight. Since I'll be carrying this on a subway, these would be my main concerns.

Ideally I'd like for it to be less than $1k, but could possibly go a little higher for a quality product. I'm open to buying a pre-made bike or converting a folder myself, but I would love to hear some opinions. Here are some of the options I've been checking out:

Cyclamatic - Seems to be sold out, but it was listed at $699 a few weeks ago. It looks like it folds up pretty compact and has decent aesthetics. Range is possibly overkill, and pretty heavy at 51lbs. Good reviews.

Cellet Lightweight Bicycle A little over budget at $1178, but I think a few companies sell rebadged versions of the same bike at a cheaper price. Would feel like a bear riding a bicycle. Ultra compact, mixed reviews. I think that wheel size would be tough to deal with in weather.

Copenhagen Wheel or FlyKly + Citizen Tokyo or Dahon Boardwalk. These won't ship until summer, but they do seem to be very stealth and I like the high-tech aspects of them. Any other ideas for better folding bikes to convert? I could also use something like a Magic Pie 3.0 and have a throttle instead of a pedelec, does anyone have any specific kit recommendations?

Brooklynness CMYK 3.0 Bike This bike seems to be designed exactly for my commute, but I can't find many reviews. The 60 minute charge is a little disappointing, but it only weighs 25lbs. It's also only a pedelec and I'd really prefer something with a throttle.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd love to hear from someone that actually brings an ebike on the NYC subway every day.

electricsheep said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a lightweight folding ebike for my first/last mile commute in to NYC. I'd prefer something slightly stealth due to NYC laws, but as far as I can tell the main targets are commercial delivery drivers so it's not a huge issue. I would only need to get 5-10 miles on a single charge, so I would sacrifice range if it could get me something more compact or lightweight. Since I'll be carrying this on a subway, these would be my main concerns.

Ideally I'd like for it to be less than $1k, but could possibly go a little higher for a quality product. I'm open to buying a pre-made bike or converting a folder myself, but I would love to hear some opinions. Here are some of the options I've been checking out:

Cyclamatic - Seems to be sold out, but it was listed at $699 a few weeks ago. It looks like it folds up pretty compact and has decent aesthetics. Range is possibly overkill, and pretty heavy at 51lbs. Good reviews.

Cellet Lightweight Bicycle A little over budget at $1178, but I think a few companies sell rebadged versions of the same bike at a cheaper price. Would feel like a bear riding a bicycle. Ultra compact, mixed reviews. I think that wheel size would be tough to deal with in weather.

Copenhagen Wheel or FlyKly + Citizen Tokyo or Dahon Boardwalk. These won't ship until summer, but they do seem to be very stealth and I like the high-tech aspects of them. Any other ideas for better folding bikes to convert? I could also use something like a Magic Pie 3.0 and have a throttle instead of a pedelec, does anyone have any specific kit recommendations?

Brooklynness CMYK 3.0 Bike This bike seems to be designed exactly for my commute, but I can't find many reviews. The 60 minute charge is a little disappointing, but it only weighs 25lbs. It's also only a pedelec and I'd really prefer something with a throttle.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd love to hear from someone that actually brings an ebike on the NYC subway every day.

On the Kicked Goods bike page it says "18v rechargeable Li-ion battery charges in about 2 hours" - funny, we have Stealth Fighters and Bombers (48-72V 18Ah) that charge in 2 hours. These 18V batteries should charge in like 30 minutes tops. In my opinion, for $980, it's way overpriced for what you're getting. I could understand if it was a full 26" folder for a little more money, but this - sorry.

From the looks of the Copenhagen Wheel, it may not be the best choice for stealthiness, as it might attract more attention than deter it.

The Cellet bike looks decent, but a bit goofy.

I guess you could look at something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Prodeco-Mariner-Folding-Electric-Aluminum/dp/B00APBSDIU.

81ykk-OVmXL._SL1500_.jpg

slacker said:
Nycewheels.com is a local outfit that sells electric folding bikes.
Their electric bike selection (http://www.nycewheels.com/bikes.html) starts at $1499 - definitely outside of the OP's scope. Plus, the only electric folder (Brompton) is nearly $3K (with taxes and all). As a test ride, that place is great, but I can't see how a $3K electric Brompton can be more reliable than the $1K Mariner I mentioned above. You (electricsheep, mostly) have to look at it from the practical stand point - any decent electric bike (whether it's 20" or 26") will cost about $1K or more - now it's just up to you what you want to accomplish. 20 mph is plenty fast for any city driving. It may not sound like much, but 20 mph on a bicycle is very different from 20 mph in a car - you actually feel the road, and as such, you appreciate and respect the speed more (if that makes sense).

Unless you want support your rear, you might even be comfortable on something like a SoloWheel - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=25322:

[youtube]WOOoFEKiK8A[/youtube] [youtube]yAoIMXU0zM4[/youtube]

Rollodo said:
slacker said:
Nycewheels.com is a local outfit that sells electric folding bikes.
Their electric bike selection (http://www.nycewheels.com/bikes.html) starts at $1499 - definitely outside of the OP's scope. Plus, the only electric folder (Brompton) is nearly $3K (with taxes and all). As a test ride, that place is great, but I can't see how a $3K electric Brompton can be more reliable than the $1K Mariner I mentioned above. You (electricsheep, mostly) have to look at it from the practical stand point - any decent electric bike (whether it's 20" or 26") will cost about $1K or more - now it's just up to you what you want to accomplish. 20 mph is plenty fast for any city driving. It may not sound like much, but 20 mph on a bicycle is very different from 20 mph in a car - you actually feel the road, and as such, you appreciate and respect the speed more (if that makes sense).

Unless you want support your rear, you might even be comfortable on something like a SoloWheel - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=25322:

I would feel way too silly on a SoloWheel in NYC. 20mph is plenty fast enough for me... I used to have a low end Currie with an SLA and even that was more than enough. I called Velomini and they were nice enough to ship one out for me to try out for free for a couple of days.

Get a second hand brompton and convert to electric.

I did that just under $1000 (I live in UK though) with a bit of luck :lol:

Pat

The Prodeco would be a nightmare on city buses..It's way too heavy and clumsy..there is no folding magnets to keep the fold locked together so you will have to use a strap...I would say the Prodeco is good to put in your trunk, saves on a bike rack and possible theft...As mentioned, a Brompton converted to e-status or I tried the Dahon, but sold it after trying the Strida..I am now in the process of making a quick connect friction drive system from a R/C motor for the Strida..I do not think there is a better inner city bike than the Strida..Yes you hear all the stories..try one for a week..I promise you will fall in love with the bike..The Best bike I have ever owned, and once I convert it to ebike status...It's the only bike I will ever own..

Folds in about 10 seconds..weighs 18 lbs..costs 500.00 at West Marine..I purchased a 30.00 dollar Golf bag cover from WalMart..The bike fits right in..I throw it over my shoulder when I have to walk around,go on the subway... just unzip the bag and pull out the bike when I need it..I have been on the plane with it..just checks in like luggage because of It's size, weight and It's in a golf bag..

The bike comes everywhere with me now..because It can..and If you live in a condo like I do, no bike's allowed in the elevator, halls,etc..just throw the Strida in the Golf bag, over your shoulder and no problem taking your bike to and from your condo..I hang my Strida up in the front hall closet..It takes up as much hanging room as two winter coats, It's that compact when folded..

Browsed the strida website and was impressed with the offerings. For some reason I didn't get that impression when they first started showing up. Maybe the accessories and upgrades made the difference in my view.

I ride 20" wheels. A folder. If I could rewind the clock I'd have went to 24" wheels. Just my 2 cents.

Can you give us more info on the strida? BB size, rear wheel spacing, and front fork spacing please.

Is the Strida an ebike?

Rollodo said:
I took a look at their site - is it MSC Cycles? So is it like Pure Fixies?
Googled "Strida bikes" and got two seemingly legit sites.

Ya, right. Click on stridabikes.com and see what you get lol. I am at work with "big brother" and I clicked that site thinking was the real deal vs "strida.com" and guess what...

Penis enhancement system!

Now watch the hit's on this thread skyrocket :lol:

That's too funny..try Strida.com

The 16 inch wheels sound small but the unique riding position makes them feel the perfect size..All I have to say is try one..you will be amazed..Strida is now owned my the Japanese company.. Ming..The largest bike manufacture in the World..

You can buy the Strida LT at West Marine...499.00 dollars..Here is a video below..My exact bike in Matt Black with the composite wheels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT9ANkoDbWQ

An electrified brompton is ideal.

Brompton gives the most compact footprint folded and a short wheelbase to fit in subways unfolded.

Their front frame mounted bags give you somewhere nice to stash the battery plus plenty of room for carrying other things.

Only downside is that brompton doesn't do their own electric version so you have to fit a kit or find a shop like NYCeWheels that does them.

rollodo wrote Plus, the only electric folder (Brompton) is nearly $3K (with taxes and all). nycewheels carries many folding bike besides the brompton,please check your facts before posting,thank you. :roll:

slacker said:
rollodo wrote Plus, the only electric folder (Brompton) is nearly $3K (with taxes and all). nycewheels carries many folding bike besides the brompton,please check your facts before posting,thank you. :roll:

One of the downsides or reading and posting E-S from my phone... sometimes I do a bit too much skimming & not enough careful reading :D

Hi electricsheep,

See you had not said what bike you ended up getting. Since you wrote you tried the Velomini for free, others took over the discussion. I also tried out the Velomini and was surprised how much it felt like a regular bike. Also like the fact that it folds up so small and has both standard pedaling, pedal-assist and power on demand capability. It also comes with a carrying case included in the under $1000 price. I hear that the single speed model is also international airline legal as checked baggage. Is that the bike you selected?

As a NYC commuter and ebike rider Xootr Swiftfolder is the best all around choice I found. It won't fold quite as small as Dahon/Brompton but it folds enough to satisfy train personel stink-eye. It also uses standard size bicycle components so if you roll your own you won't be stuck trying to fit 100mm motor in 74mm forks, etc.

The ride is GREAT and actually better than one of my 27" tire road bikes. They offer a somewhat pricey electric version but installing a kit on Swiftfolder is relatively simple. Best folding bike ever, IMO.

Xootr.com

Also look at Swiftfolder.com for background history/info about this awesome little bike that rides like a large bike.

Back