Bicycle Stolen within 4hrs in UK Theft Hotspots

GTA1

100 W
If it is this bad with a regular bicycle, what would it be with a e Bike ?

What is everyone's experience with bicycle thefts in other places?

USA? Canada?

------------------------------------------------------------

Bicycles will be stolen in under four hours, finds survey of Britain's cycle theft hotspots
Bicycle thieves strike in under four hours even in Britain’s ‘safest’ cities, according to the results of a test to find where criminals would strike most quickly.

By Alastair Jamieson
Published: 7:00AM BST 22 Jun 2009
Bicycle thieves strike in under four hours even in Britain?s ?safest? cities, according to the results of a test to find where criminals would strike most quickly.
Bicycle thieves strike in under four hours even in Britain?s ?safest? cities, according to the results of a test to find where criminals would strike most quickly. Photo: GETTY

Researchers armed with shiny new bicycles set out to discover how long it would take before thieves struck.

The quickest theft was at London Bridge railway station in south-east London, one of the busiest in the country, where an unsecured £130 bicycle was pilfered in just 17 minutes.

Related Articles

CCTV is popular with public claims minister
Bike fashion: cycle in the right gear
How to use Google Street View
People with poor credit ratings due to identity fraud 'to double'
Public to vote on criminals' community sentences
Bedbugs return to British hotels

Glasgow (1hr 30mins) and Birmingham (1hr 55mins) also proved to be hotspots, with bicycles disappearing into the arms of criminals in less than two hours.

At the other end of the scale, a bicycle left in bustling Mathew Street, Liverpool, remained undisturbed for three hours and 52 minutes.

Other cities involved in the experiment were Bristol, Manchester, Norwich, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Cardiff.

Employees at insurer More Than, who were behind the experiment, said they were shocked by the "efficiency and expertise" of the thieves.

Some bicycles were taken by individuals who "swooped" as they jogged past and one thief managed to ride away on his own bicycle while towing his bounty.

Marketing director Pete Markey said: "The experiment has shown us that it doesn't matter who you are or where you live, if you don't take the necessary precautions, it's only a matter of time before your bike is stolen.

"It really does make sense then to ensure your bike is secured properly to an immovable object before you leave it unattended, and to think about taking out insurance cover just in case the worst should happen."

Some 300,000 bicycles are stolen every year in Britain, one every two minutes, according to Government figures.

The summer cycling season traditionally sees a surge in thefts as people dig their trusty steeds out of the garage to enjoy the warm weather.

Insurers said the average bicycle costs £218, meaning thefts cost the nation some £65 million every year.

Bicycle owners should always use a good quality lock and chain and ensure it is fixed through the wheels and frame to an immovable object.

The full results were:

Liverpool, Mathew Street - three hours 52 minutes

Bristol, East Street, Bedminster - three hours 15 minutes

Manchester, Arndale shopping centre, Market Street - two hours 57 minutes

Norwich, Exchange Street - two hours 34 minutes

Newcastle, Eldon Garden shopping centre, Percy Street - two hours 25 minutes

Portsmouth, Albert Road, Southsea - two hours 12 minutes

Cardiff, Capitol shopping mall, Queen Street - two hours 10 minutes

Birmingham, The Rag Market, Edgbaston Street - one hour 55 minutes

Glasgow, Buchanan Street, one hour 30 minutes

London, London Bridge Station, Duke Street Hill - 17 minutes

Back in the 80's a ford pickup truck would dissapear in 15 minuites or less if parked at the mall in El Paso Texas. Back then there was no traffic backup at the bridge to Juarez so they'd be across in 6 minuites. Once across the border the buyer was the Juarez police force, who would retitle em and sell em in mexico. Victims often saw their truck driving by with a juarez plate on it and go HEY! Sometimes they could follow the truck and steal it back if the guy parked. Lots of ford trucks got stole in Las Cruces too, 40 minuites from the border, and even Albuquerque 4 hours north got hit some after all the fords trucks in town got secured somehow. Guys would remove tires for the night or park jammed between two other cars, chained to a tree, distributor parts removed, or a secret ignition switch under the hood. No lowjack then.

A timely thread because my bicycle was stolen about 3 hours ago.

I parked it in the bike rack at Borders book store about 3 miles from home and locked it with my 6 foot cable lock and went inside to browse conversational Spanish books. I came out about 30 minutes later and SHAZAM it had disappeared. The cable was cleanly cut and left lying on the ground. (I picked it up with my car keys to preserve the fingerprints and DNA (LOL - as if that's gonna happen).

I flagged down a passing policeman who was driving by and he agreed to sweep the neighborhood but (as I found out later) it was to no avail. Fortunately, I was able to catch a city transit bus to save my arthritic back and legs and rode to within a 1/4 mile of home. Then I called in a police report and they sent a policeman to take the report (same guy I flagged down).

I lost my Breezer, an eZee motor and kit with Lithium battery, my bike lock and one of my panniers with 2 environmental friendly grocery bags. The jerk will have to buy his own charger.

I don't live in a gated upscale community or in the ghetto; it's a nice, mid class, urban area, with mostly single family homes but some apartments, with some very pricey homes nearby. I was in a commercial area near the University. Unfortunately, as I found out later, there is a a high rate of bicycle theft in the area around the University where I was.

Lessons Learned
1. Park near the entrance regardless of the bike rack location. If the manager complains, don't patronize the store. This bike rack was not completely visible to the public (shrubbery, far end of the store, no windows in Borders to observe, not many people because of other store closures due to downturn, etc
2. No more cable locks (chain or solid pipe with tough lock)
3. Regardless of neighborhood, don't be complacent
4. Hack an alarm and maybe a cell phone alert or tracking device that I've seen on the internet
5. Take "Breezer" out of my sig and about $1800 out of my pocket.

I, too, sympathize with your loss and the terrible feelings of violation it will bring to you.

This may sound outrageous but it is what I do. I ask the merchant if I can bring my bike in the store. If they say no, I thank them and tell them that I will need to patronage some other establishment. I then put a lock around the tire and frame (and maybe something stationary in the store if it is handy). I now have several merchants in our immediate area who know me and just nod or wave when I come in.

I love it when a customer will off-handedly make some comment about how inappropriate it is to bring a bicycle into the store. I explain to them that the police department allocates no resources to reducing bike theft and that, when captured, bike thieves, unlike car thieves, are never prosecuted. I then say I would gladly chance my bicycle to an outside lock if and when bike theft is ever treated with the same seriousness as car theft. That usually quiets them.

Ouch, It's amazing how easy they cut the cable locks with nail clipper size wire snips, one strand at a time. I like that idea of getting permission to park just inside the door or take your money elsewhere. I park outside the 'Wallmart every few weeks or so, and rely on it being 6:00 am, when thieves are sleeping off the drug binge. Otherwise, in normal hours, I have to be able to see the thing at all times. I use a really cheap cable lock, and being able to see the thing.
For sure, near the university is where they go to get the most bikes to steal. If you have renters or homowners insurance, see if the bike might be covered.

Here is something we should be advocating for on this site:

1. A system of marking all critical parts that is difficult to erase without destroying the part(s).

2. A central registry of parts so marked that we can all check before buying something on e-bay etc.

Ideas:

VIN type universal serial numbers that are marked on every frame in a way that makes removal difficult / impossible.

i.e. stamped markings on the lower tube that require a special rounded stamp and bracing the inside of the tube ---- that can only be really properly done at manufacturing.

Acid etch of part serial number on things like hub motors, battery cases, forks, controller cases, etc.

Jerry- so sorry to hear about your loss. I would make a "stolen bike" flyer and post it in all the local bike shops (many have a bull board area, or will at least keep a copy behind the counter. The theif may try to get parts or a charger, or my try to hock the bike at a pawnshop.

Last year I had my Giant Lafree ripped off from my garage. I live on a busy street with lots of pedestrian traffic, and have a VERY small garage that is in front of the house but detached and poor line of sight to the front. The garage is so small that I did not think a thief could get the bike out with the car in there- wrong. I stupidly left the garage door open for literally one minute while I ran back in the house to get something (I had to use the car- I forget why). When I backed the car up, I realized the bike was gone. I didn't have it locked (another stupid move). The bastard scratched the hell out of my car (04 Prius) getting it out, too.

I posted flyers with a pic of the bike and description, and contacted all the dealers in the area, since the theif did not get the "ignition" key or the battery pack, I thought they might try to buy a replacement part. I filed a police report and figured I would never see the bike again.

A police officer (University of Washington Police Dept- they are real cops!) was investigating bike theft rings, noticed my flyer in the LBS and found my bike, (along with a bunch of other peoples'). Several weeks went by, and I got a call out of the blue from an officer about my stolen bike. They actually recovered the bike and got it back to me. I am really greatful for their work- but the police would not have found my bike, or known who it belonged to without the flyer I posted- so the day I spent riding to every shop and pawnshop in town was worth it! (cops recovered the bike in a pawnshop in a town about 30mi south of me). E bikes tend to be unusual, and are often unique builds, so yours may be recognizable. Most theives would not bother to dismantle the electric components and probably dont know what they are. Don't give up hope, put up some notices in places where bike people hang out- someone might see your ride on the street and call the cops.

Man. Jerry, that blows.

And GTA1 there is a thread under Bike Pics and Vids ( http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9486 ) where folks can put up serial numbers. Probably not as robust an idea as distributing flyers, using the National Registry, filing police reports, going to pawn shops, or grabbing a lead pipe and tracking down that sketchy dude who was casing your homestead yesterday, but if you have your serial number and bike info, can't hurt.

I read online somewhere several weeks ago (think it was the Village Voice or some other free press blog) one way to recover your bike from pawn shops, is to take a picture of yourself with the bike, and stuffing it under the seat tube. That way, if someone doctors the serial number and/or you have a less-reputable pawn dealer who is being obstinate, you can open the seat, pull out the picture of you and your bike, and ask the obstinate pawn dealer why the bike they're selling has a photo with you and your bike inside of it.

Which reminds me. I've been meaning to do that...

I posted this as "stolen" on Los Angeles craigslist. They got one of my pannier bags too. Here's a picture in case any one in this community sees it on ebay or your city craigslist.
If you have renters or homowners insurance, see if the bike might be covered.
Ya, now I've got a police report, i'll give it a week and contact my insurance folks.
I was surprised to see an older woman with her bicycle inside safeway (grocery store) this morning.
Good point. Since I'm an old man I can bring my bike inside and just claim non compos mentis.Vincita pannier 1.jpg

Attachments

• Electric Bike 004 small.jpg
    Electric Bike 004 small.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,040
Cackalacka said:
is to take a picture of yourself with the bike, and stuffing it under the seat tube. That way, if someone doctors the serial number and/or you have a less-reputable pawn dealer who is being obstinate, you can open the seat, pull out the picture of you and your bike, and ask the obstinate pawn dealer why the bike they're selling has a photo with you and your bike inside of it..

What about a device, remotely activated, that causes the Lithium Battery to ignite a cache of Rocket fuel cached in the seat post and handlebars, presumably with a projectile intended to penetrate the seat?

Or just have the Lithium battery ignite...

What about a device, remotely activated, that causes the Lithium Battery to ignite a cache of Rocket fuel cached in the seat post and handlebars...

While I must admit that would rock like nothing hath rocked before, and almost make it worth it to have one's bike stolen, when the day comes and I trade in my SLAs for some Liths; I'll unpack those and bring em in, even when I park the bike locked in my garage...

In the early 1990's there was an Acura Integra (similar to Honda Accord) that had a high performance engine (B18c) that was a "drop in" for the lightweight Honda Civic (hatchback was the lightest one) so for a couple years in southern California, the Acura Integra type-R was the MOST stolen car. The engine and trans were the high-profit item, but fenders/doors would also be sold black market to body shops. This was before LoJack was common.

I see sting operations all the time on TV. If you can involve the newspapers and raise some public awareness, the local police may put out some effort. Bicycles may seem to be low-priority, but NYC instituted a "broken window" policy. Its based on the premise that most crime is from the same 2% of society over and over. By investigating what seem to be low-priority crimes and arresting trouble makers who just "break windows", the fact that they are in jail will also lower the serious crime. As most serious crime in the US is based on drug violators who can't get a job due to their record.

Agree or disagree with the social theory, but serious crime went down in NYC after the policy was started. Also, setting up stings with undercover police bicycles that have GPS will lead to arrests of bicycle theives. This will identify them, and put their fingerprints and pictures into the system. Bike thieves may only get $40 for a bike (clearly more for high-end bikes on CL and EBAY) but they are criminals of opportunity, and arresting a bike thief will result in fewer stolen cars, house burglaries, and purse snatchings (including muggings)

When someone steals a bike, its not their first crime...or their only type of crime.

THE POLICE FOUND MY BIKE. :shock: :D
I just came back from the police warehouse where I identified my Breezer which was stolen about 3 months ago. Seems they served a warrant on a guy on a separate charge and found the bike.

Everything seems to be intact but I'll bet the lithium battery has run down. Hope it recharges (it's just over one year old). I'll know for sure after I pick it up next week after all the paperwork gets processed.

Will wonders never cease.

don't try to use the battery before you recharge. don't do anything to take charge out. in fact you can take the charger to the police station and charge it as soon as you see it, while you do the paper work.

if the controller was disconnected then you may be ok. but if the battery drained the BMS would not shut off until the pack was really low, but it would shut down finally when one of the cells reached LVC. if the first 4 cells were still strong at that point, it may have survived for all this period of time with just the BMS circuit current trickling out. so it may survive yet. 3 months is close.

so happy for you to get it back too.

wow, so cool you got your bike back! I live in a smallish town with a large university and bikes get stolen every day. bike thieves are scum.
I bought a nice bike about 6 months ago and haven't locked it up once. I take it in the grocery store all the time and noone complains.
If I have to go somewhere where I would need to lock it up, I take the car :( it's a bummer, but has to be done. I just can't deal with the thought of some jerk riding my sweet bike around.

Back