• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bike Smiths Paying For Positive Reviews??

Jason27

10 kW
I was up late last night researching my next ebike/ build and I came across a guy on ebay who does Prodeco selling. Check this out:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Two different people on ebay saying the exact same review phrase. "It cant get any better than this"

I have heard of companies doing online reviews of products for a fee. I checked Amazon too and many 5 stars for prodeco. No one rates a product 5 stars. lol

What do you guys think?

Jason27 said:
I was up late last night researching my next ebike/ build and I came across a guy on ebay who does Prodeco selling. Check this out:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Two different people on ebay saying the exact same review phrase. "It cant get any better than this"

I have heard of companies doing online reviews of products for a fee. I checked Amazon too and many 5 stars for prodeco. No one rates a product 5 stars. lol

What do you guys think?
bike smiths is a top class seller and it's a very good bike. i bought it from him

I don't doubt that, but I have never seen two different people say the exact same review.

Don't you find it kinda odd?

I originally posted this in the other forum. I was up late last night researching my next ebike/ build and I came across a guy on ebay who does Prodeco selling. Check this out:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=bike-smiths&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=290961133768&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

I have heard of companies doing online reviews of products for a fee. Or is it a coincidence?

What do you guys think??

:?:

Coincidence / lazy feedback providers. Either way I wouldn't be suspicious.
You didn't bother to comment on the two people posting AAAAAA a few lines down.

Some people can't be bothered to think up ebay feedback so they copy others.

People think Ebay feedback means something?

Not limited to eBikes or Prodeco (although they do seem to play the game) I believe majority of product reviews are "shills". Friends/employees of seller, sellers using different user names, different computers, connections, etc.

It's become the "game" of internet retail IMO. Large numbers of reviews tend to dillute the probability of shills but a determined business can and will find ways to pad those results....

We had an infestation of shill members here a while back, either legit buyers who were encouraged to register here and promote, or dealers trying to drum up business, it was obvious that they were certainly not all unsolicited .... seems to have quieted down lately, thank god.

hmm maybe lol. but this guy bikesmiths is kind of cunning though, which is acceptable to an extent when you're doing business. he did not tell me that he had the 38.4v 16ah battery when i asked him for them. mightve been trying to get rid of the 38.4v 12 ah stock of his

Then the amazon reviews are almost all 5 stars. Hmmmmm

Jason27 said:

What do you guys think?

I think you have too much time on your hands. Remove the tinfoil hat and work on you new build! Lol

Oh I know.. I just think its a pretty clever marketing technique. I'm sure a few reviews are legit but come on when's the last time you rated a product 5 stars?

The point being, do companies have people whose JOB it is to say nice things about them? Of course.

Do employees on their own say nice things about the company? Of course.

Are there people with no connection to the company who take it in their head to spread the word? Of course.

I wouldn't get too caught up in worrying about it.

Ypedal said:
We had an infestation of shill members here a while back, either legit buyers who were encouraged to register here and promote, or dealers trying to drum up business, it was obvious that they were certainly not all unsolicited .... seems to have quieted down lately, thank god.

I know at least one ebike manufacturer/assembler that asked me to post a review here for a bike they were "supposed to send me". "If you are happy with the bike can you blog about it and spread the word since I am giving you a shipping discount?" Is basically how the offer is presented. I ended up buying another bike from another outfit, when all was said and done.

I plan to write a full review with pictures when my new Motiv bike arrives. It will contain specific information about the transaction, the shipping and the product and I will avoid any "opinion-info". But really, how much value does a review from a purchaser have? Most will gush over their new bike if they like it to reinforce their buying decision. If they have problems that are not resolved by the seller, their revue will be tainted with their displeasure, etc. its human nature. Shilling? This is the age of guerilla marketing, where you go to a resturaunt that has the highest rating in the City on Trip Advisor and find it was all hot air.

Back