Bizarre, yet reliable and robust CVT transmission design.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
ya know, there wuz a former member with a similar unhealthy ocd stiffie for gonzo tx, may wanna check out his posts over there.
also coincidental, your join date; bout the same time as he got.... hmmmm...............................

:lol: at the "ocd stiffie for gonzo tx"
I just think it's brilliant that someone came up with a way to seamlessly change ratios on a toothed box with no clutching.
You know; wanted to share that 'Oh wow!' moment. :)

former member:
lol! Nah; we're not affiliated.

Logic11 said:
No one has EVER come up with a way to seamlessly, instantaneously shift ratios with no clutches etc before...

I'm not sure thats true. The VW DSG gearbox preselects the gear in anticipation of the next change, its really cool, its effectively a conventional gearbox with the ability to shift up or down at will, without the use of a clutch. If there was a bike lightweight version I would have it on my shopping list tomorrow as it works so well in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1Vk7SE-TI

Double post error.

DSG gearbox has two clutches, neither is controlled by the humans foot.
K1 and K2 on any DSR gearbox diagram will show you the two clutches.

Waynemarlow said:
Correct but without any human interaction then in my book its clutchless shifting, its just part of a computer operated system.

From a parts count, weight, cost, drag, and mechanical complexity and associated failure modes, it's a lot of extra burden to take on when it's very well understood that using the correct motor geometry eliminates the need, while offering higher continous power and efficiency with lower costs and improved powertrain durability.

There are times where its way outside the useable rev range of an electric motor where a gearbox of some form would be needed. In my instance I do a lot of single track EBiking on steep terrain at very low single figure speeds and yet I need to ride at 30mph to get to those areas and still be able to peddle in a range of 40 - 100 rpm. Rear hub motors in this application don't yet seem able to cut it.

As Bosch, Shimano, Brose, Fazua and others with mega budgets on development have seemed to go down the mid drive with a cassette as the go to, as much as would like to do away with a gearbox, as yet that Unicorn wide rpm band electric motor still seems some way off.

Waynemarlow said:
As Bosch, Shimano, Brose, Fazua and others with mega budgets on development have seemed to go down the mid drive with a cassette as the go to, as much as would like to do away with a gearbox, as yet that Unicorn wide rpm band electric motor still seems some way off.

No unicorns necessary, most motors have "wide rpm band" as long as they are supplied with correct voltage.
Shimano, Brose, Fazua use cassettes because they are legally limited to low power.
Check my second build (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=82678), LMX bikes (https://lmxbikes.com/index.php/en/homepage/) or search the EBike Non-hub Motor Drives forum and you will find mid motor pedaleable ebikes capable of 30mph with the motor being drivenby a single gear.

Avner.

Back