BLDC eddy current loss

sonni

1 µW
Hello, i am new to this community. My name is sonni and i am a electric longboard builder from germany.

A mate and i discussed if their is a eddy current loss ,when we screw a metrical 3 mm bolt (10mm long) into the stator and statorcarrier of a 6354 brushless outrunner motor(diameter 63mm, 54mm long).
The screw is next to glueing our only chance to fix the stator on the carrier. I realy dont like glueing :D

By the way we dont know if it is a big disadvantage when the isolation of the inner bore, from the stator to the statorcarrier is removed?

I experienced som heat dissapation of my diy hub motor. I have never thought about the eddy current in this case but perhabs a isolated stator could solve my problem?

Has anybody some thoughts for me? I am no motor spezialist and thankfull for every answer.

Greetz Sonni

If you put anything thru the layers of a stator's laminations that shorts them to each other, it's going to keep them from working as designed, and probably cause heat. I don't know how bad the problem would be.

Miles (others too) has posted quite a bit of info over the years on how this kind of stuff works, but you'd have to poke around the forums to find it.

lamination works because they are insuladet , if you put a screw shorting the lamination together there wil be a huge drop in efficiency and the motor will have a localized overheating.

Also drilling a hole will interfere with the magnetic flux and some other parts of the lamination will saturate ( this it happends only if you drilled a hole in a high flux zone of the lamination , )

Thanks for your replies.
I have recognized that most of the stators are not isolated at the inner bore, where it is supported by the statorcarrier. Is the glue in between enough isolation?

Greetz sonni

Back