BLDC Motor Rewind

UKJ

1 µW
hi all,

I've read a number of threads on motor rewinding but just wanted to confirm a couple of queries.

I plan to rewind a 8pole 12slot motor to reduce its KV rating to better suit my application. Its similar to the lightning rods motor.

At present I have 23 strands, 6 turns, 0.5mm dia copper.

I plan to change to 5 turns. Use 0.6mm dia copper. (this is a spec of another motor I have which is much preferred)

Questions i'm unsure on;

1. I assume the aim is to fill the slot space as much as possible to increase the amount of copper.
2. Is it best to try and match the total CSA of a single loop - i.e 23strandsx0.5mm this is roughly the same as 16strandsx0.6mm.With the extra turn i'm assuming it will be difficult to fit this all in.
so...
3. What effect would it have if a single loop CSA is reduced to allow the extra turn?

Heat is the enemy on this setup and I know another motor with a lower KV and thicker copper works very well.

This will be the first motor I have tried to rewind so any constructive feedback is most welcome.

Thanks!

23 strands 6 turns means 138 strands in the slot.

Assuming you use the SAME strand thickness then:

138 strands overall divided by 5 turns means 27.6 strands... hmmm...

So here you must decide...

Do you think you can push it to 28 strands making 140 strands overall or
do you relax and drop down to 27 strands making 135 strands overall?

How capable are you at the task?

How tight was the old wind?

The added strand is "pure profit" in the sense it increases motor efficiency so if you can pull it off it's always better to round up and not down. But the difference is a few percent. (small)

--------------------

However, if you start changing wire thickness now you need to get into all kinds of bother figuring out copper cross sectional area and comparing that.

It's easier when you have plenty of strands like this (thin wires) to simply adjust the count.

Back