BMS facts and how to charge lifepo4 without it!

maxwell65

10 W
This article is in 2 parts:
part 1:direct comparison of sealed lead acid batteries & lifepo4
part 2:BMS facts and how to charge lifepo4 without it!

This article is about batteries and my personal experience with both sealed lead acid (SLA) and lifepo4 batteries, and most importantly how to care for your lifepo4, and not make the same moronic mistakes I have made in using my lifepo4, I had to learn the hard way through personal experience, hopefully this article will save you money and heartache.

SLA or lifepo4? There is NOTHING TO THINK ABOUT HERE! Ive used both and hands down lifepo4 wins the race.

When I got into building my first E bike I ordered lifepo4, but at the time the technology was IMHO good as far as the batteries are concerned but there were problems with the battery management systems, I say the batteries were good because I still have my original 48v20ah lifepo4 pack that was bought back in august 2007 now were may 2009, my whole pack is perfect except for one cell which is now completely dead, I started to notice its demise about 2months after receiving the pack it was the weakest cell and I monitored it closely. So far Ive gone through 70 charge discharge cycles at 70% depth of discharge (DOD). The charger BMS system died after only being used approximately 10 times. I will explain in detail later in this same article how I was able to continue charging my batteries without using the BMS provided to me by the Lifepo4 Company that sold me these batteries in the first place.

Here is a story of a direct comparison of using standard sealed lead acid batteries and then switching over to Lifepo4

My friend Chris bought a pack of lifepo4 48v10ah at the same time as me, we purchased together from the same company in china in order to save on shipping, to this day his pack is perfect. And he has gone through at least 250 cycles on his pack. Soon I will get back to lifepo4, now I want to tell you about SLA.

My bike was ready to roll mid July 2007 but I was still waiting for my lifepo4s, I had ordered them back in April 2007 but the company was making all kinds of excuses until the pack was finally delivered mid august 2007. (My guess is they were having problems with the BMS)

I already had 2 SLA 12v20ah batteries from my first 24v e bike so I invested in one more battery to bring my total to 36v20ah.i was king of the road, my goal; to be able to drive 22km to get to my girlfriends house. Well the only way that was going to happen I found out quickly enough was to do an enormous amount of pedaling, cause at only 12 km of riding you could really begin to feel the voltage sag, and at 16km the low voltage cut-off (LVC ) from the controller would kick in. at 17km game over. So from that point on I had to divide the ride between pedaling and battery power to arrive home sweating bullets, no problem on my part I liked the exercise and always laughed it off.

Here is the good part, for the whole month while waiting for my lifepo4s I kept thinking what a moron I was to think that these new miracle batteries were going to change my 22km 36v20ah SLA strenuous ride (don't forget the SLAs were good for only 17km but my destination was 22km) into a 48v20ah lifepo4 easy as pie ride.

I was very suspicious about this one teensy aspect; my SLAs weighed in at 39lbs giving me a total 36v20ah, and was giving me 17km per ride, all the time running through my head,ok Im at 12 km and these batteries are sagging, yet the lifepo4 pack that I will receive hopefully this year, weighs in at only 26lbs and yet supposedly has 48v20ah, my next thought,boy what a jerk I am there is no way in hell that a pack of batteries weighing just 26lbs will take me as far as a pack that weighs 39lbs, and my next thought, just be happy that if I ever receive these batteries that maybe it will take me close to the 22km I need to travel.

Well mid august the lifepo4 batteries finally came, I measured all the cells and they all matched at 3.3v, fully charged I was at 53v total (my SLAs would be at 41v fully charged) so this was exciting but I still could not help thinking well this pack only weighs 26lbs so don't get too excited lets see how far I go on a charge.batts cover open.jpg

It goes without saying 53v was really exhilarating not to mention the fact that my bike was now carrying 13lbs less batteries.

12kms into the ride hmm, I'm going upwards of 40and 50kmph and there is absolutely no sag, hey Im sag-less!

17km into the ride...holy moly, I'm still going strong18, 19,20, 22kms its full steam ahead into the driveway! I heard angels singing, halleluiah!!!

Now I grab my voltage meter, WTF I'm at 52v what is going on here??? yell out to my wife (she may as well be, we've been together 7 years) Ill see ya later, I just had to ride to see when these batteries would conk out, well driving like a lunatic I managed 32kms range in total.

I will never ever go back to SLA's, they are heavy and cumbersome, and give lousy range and an overall lousy ride.

So here are the facts: My lifepo4 pack weighs in at 26lbs and is rated at 48v20ah giving an exhilarating strong ride at 40 and 50kmph and a range of 32 kms using a 36v to72v40amp controller on 28" 700b wheels I weigh in at 160lbs clothed.

SLA's weighing in at 39lbs gives 36v20ah slow saggy ride approximately 36kmph and only 17kms range also using the 36 to 72v40amp controller on 28 700b wheels . Whats really amazing here is that at 39 pounds I'm only at 36 V 20 amp hours in order to go to 48 V I would have to add another 12 V 20ah battery bringing me up to a very heavy 52 pounds! I have no doubt in my mind that even with that extra battery I will get nowhere near the performance of my 48 V 20 amp hour Lifepo4 pack Weighing in at only 26 pounds!

(Note: I have since had to change the controller to the new 48v35amp 12fet IRFB4110) (also note that my Lifepo4 battery pack was bought in 2007 whereas today's newer packs are probably somewhat lighter, also it must be stated that depending on the company you are dealing with, they may sell Lifepo4 that are packed in foil which are even lighter as opposed to the plastic prismatic cells, the problem with the foil packs is each single cell cannot be monitored separately as they are tightly packed together and shrink wrapped all wired up to a BMS.)

part 2

BMS facts and how to charge lifepo4 without it!

As I said earlier my charger BMS died after only 10 uses. So you may be wondering what a "BMS" is, it stands for "battery management system".

Now I will unveil the mystery of what a BMS actually does, why it's important for the health and well being of your life batteries, and, here is the best part, this will be explained in "laymen terms."

No complicated electronic jargon here, this is for people that just want to know how to take care of life batteries and maintain them properly. so for anyone who wants to know about the electronic doo hickys inside a BMS you won't find it here.(note to all electronic geniuses, thank god for you guys, cause if it were not for you, the world would be a pretty boring place IMHO)

First off, if you intend on owning lifepo4 batteries you do have to learn one thing and that is how to use a voltage meter, its very easy especially if you only use it to check your lifepo4 batteries.cell voltage.jpg If you do not want to learn how to use a voltage meter, then dont expect to get the optimized life expectancy of lifepo4 batteries, they should be monitored every few weeks and it only takes maybe 5 minutes of your time to save your investment.

Do you really need a BMS to charge lifepo4?

Contrary to popular belief YOU DO NOT NEED A BMS TO TAKE CARE OF LIFEPO4 BATTERIES, however if you do not use a BMS you must monitor your pack manually, the good news here if your pack is well balanced to begin with you will only need to check your pack maybe every 20 to 40 charge discharge cycles. Here is how you can do this.

Each cell fully charged should register 3.3v up to 3.65v

The problem with lifepo4 batteries is they cannot be over charged, if you overcharge them they will be damaged to the point they will die. They basically will not be able to hold a charge.
another problem lifepo4 batteries have is they cannot be over discharged ; if they go below 2.2volts well you have done a very bad thing; once it goes below 2.2v it becomes starved for more energy, and if you run it for long enough below 2.2v it simply will never be able to take a charge, when a person drowns they will be unconscious if you revive them in a minute or two chances are they will be just fine, but if that person has been unconscious for 5 minutes or more, well unfortunately chances are that person will suffer long term damage. Its the same for lifepo4.

There are three ways to make sure you don't overcharge them;

1: make sure the charger you use is matched to your pack, for example if your pack is 48 V20 amp hours you would use a charger that is rated at 48 V at perhaps five to 8 amps.
2: you use a BMS with your charger
3: you use single cell Chargers made special for lifepo4.

Here I will explain the three different ways to charge lifepo4 batteries.

There is only one way you can really insure that your battery will not overcharge or discharge: this is where a BMS really comes into play and why companies that manufacture Lifepo4 want people to use them, the battery management system monitors each cell, when a cell is fully charged it should register at approximately 3.65 V, the battery management system senses this and it will not allow that particular cell to receive any more charging from your battery charger while at the same time it continues to charge the other cells until all the cells reach 3.65 V.

The battery management system (BMS) also incorporates a low-voltage cut off ( LVC), because the battery management system is wired to all the cells in your pack it has the ability to sense each individual cell, so if in fact one cell is weaker than the others, as soon as it reaches 2.4 V it will shut the power going to your controller, saving that particular cell from being over discharged.

So now you know why the battery management system is so important. Without it you have a much greater chance of ruining your battery pack. Remember when I said earlier YOU DO NOT NEED A BMS TO TAKE CARE OF LIFEPO4 BATTERIES, you don't, provided that you're willing to monitor the pack and that you fully understand that if in fact you have one cell in your pack that is not balanced with the rest of the pack and is in fact weaker than the rest of the cells and if you solely depend on the low voltage cut-off of your controller, well because of that one weak cell over time your battery pack will in theory become very unbalanced, and in turn will dramatically decrease the life of the overall pack. The reason for this is simple; the stronger batteries in the pack will keep the low-voltage cut off from your controller cutting out the power to your motor in a timely fashion, (remember: we are talking about the low-voltage cut-off from your controller not a BMS )for example you're 48 V pack should cut out at 42 V and in normal circumstances it will, but just because it is cutting out the pack 42 V, that does not mean that all the cells in your pack have not gone below 2.4 V it simply means that the overall pack has gone down to 42 V, so some cells may be at 2.6 V while others can be at 2.2V, 1.8V, etc, well here it goes without saying that the cell at 1.8 V is very likely ruined. IF you do not understand this paragraph AND you want to operate your Lifepo4 pack without a battery management system then you must understand what is said here. IF you don't understand this you definitely need a battery management system.

When I first received this pack it came with a very complicated charger and BMS (battery management system) each cell had a set of wires that would do two things:

1: charge the batteries to 3.65v and make sure that each individual cell would be matched to the voltage of the weakest cell thus balancing the pack.

2: there was an onboard LVC (low voltage cut-off) that would stop the flow of power leading to the motor controller once it sensed that any cell fell to 2.4v.

Well all that was very nice until about 10cycles worth of charges the BMS stopped working. So now I call the battery company and they want $165.00 for a new BMS and take it or leave it.
So now I'm not a happy camper and because they were not reassuring that the same thing wouldn't happen with a new BMS I set out to find a more reliable one. Well back in 2007-2008 there were almost no options available and I thought that the batteries were going to end up being useless. So through some research and asking for help on this great forum endless-sphere someone recommended to use a 12v smart charger and charge in series 4cells at a time, at that time I thought this guy is nuts if he thinks I'm going to experiment around with my $700 pack of batteries only to ruin them with a regular charger. Well after checking around it turns out he was not so nuts, maybe crazy, but not nuts. So I took the plunge and charged up 4cells with my 12v smart charger and to my surprise they charged up very nicely and they stayed balanced. So for the next few weeks I charged them like that 4 cells at a time and then invested in a Soneil 48v3.5amp charger. Turns out that this charger is perfectly suited to lifepo4 chemistry, I now charge my whole pack of 16cells which is 48v20ah pack lifepo4 since April of 2008 and to this day (sept 2009) the pack is still perfect and has gone through at least 90 charge discharge cycles.soneil label.jpg

To be safe I ordered 4 X lifepo4 3.65v2amp single cell chargers and for the first time last week (around june5) I charged my pack using the single cell chargers and they all took the same amount of time to charge up to full after a 22km ride (approximately 3hrs each cell) which means that the overall pack is still perfectly balanced and I could of just kept going with the Soneil charger.lifepo4 single  cell charger.jpg

Now unfortunately there is another problem that has to be addressed with owning a lifepo4 pack, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU LET ANY ONE CELL GO BELOW 2.2V. Let me repeat that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU LET ANY ONE CELL GO BELOW 2.2V. If a cell goes below 2.2v there is a very good chance you have permanently damaged that cell.dead batt.jpg

How to protect your lifepo4 from going below 2.2v without a LVC monitoring your whole pack

Here you have to know how far you can go on your pack assuming that all cells are healthy and paying close attention if you have to go to an 80% depth of discharge (DOD).
Also when taking the voltages from all your cells pay attention to which cell is the weakest in the pack, you can then wire that particular cell and have those 2 wires easily accessible in order to take a reading, as soon as you see that you're hitting around 2.4v to 2.6v then its time to start pedaling and immediately re-charge.

notice in the pic the 2 wires coming from my weakest cell in the packView attachment 1

On my 48v20ah pack I know that I can go up to 32km maybe even 35km,but because I have no LVC (for now, cause one day I will install one as they are becoming more and more accessible) I will never go beyond 25km to be safe. If you notice in the pic below you can see the test wires coming from my weakest cell. So the trick here is to know the parameters of your pack.

When I first got my lifepo4 pack I foolishly brought down the pack to the LVC of 2.4v and then waited for the volts to go back up and then continued riding. Well I paid the price in finding out that one of my cells was predominately weaker than the rest and sure enough it eventually died, so now instead of 16cells I am now using 15cells (Im waiting for a new cell to arrive and of course this company is taking forever to deliver)

The good news is the other 15 cells are still running great and because I monitor my pack properly and take care in its usage I believe it will serve me for years to come. My friend has a pack from the same company and has gone through at least 3 times as many charge discharge cycles at 80% depth of discharge (DOD) and his pack is 48v10ah and he too has no BMS. Since first writing this I'm happy to say I got my new cell and I'm back to 16.UPDATE it is now July 2011 im still using the very same 48v20ah pack and it is still perfect,,,when on the rare occasion i go for an extended ride at about 25kms the pack starts to sag a bit so now instead of 32km range at full charge I'm down to 25kms range at full charge,,,not bad for 5 yrs usage,,,,,and its still going strong.keep in mind i drive fast,full throttle all the time almost no pedal,speeds between 38 to 45kmph easily topping out at 50kmph on straights a mile and more.as for my friends pack his stopped working completely about may 2011,,,he lives in Toronto and it was his sole means of transportation,,,its no exaggeration that he used this pack 200 to 250 times a year for the course of the five years running the pack to 80% DOD,,,,his pack was only 48v10AH so he only had apx 15 to 18kms range till his pack is depleted,,,and all this without a BMS!

How do you propose owners of prismatic cell lifep04 setups
manage their packs when they may have 80 plus cells wrapped
up in layer after layer of duct tape ? How do you propose those
with cylindrical setups with dozens of cells soldered/bolted together
test their setups? ....Your asuming everyone with Lifep04 has those big
heavy lifep04 like your using...they dont...On top of that Some of us
dont have time OR want to sit and test then individually charge
cells...no..a BMS might not be necessary BUT monitoring and
balancing is, a BMS makes it a hell of alot simpler/convenient...

KiM

You say your 2007 model bms quit after 10 cycles. Therefore you never want a much more reliable 2010 model bms. Works for you, but I'll stick to what ping puts on my batteries. My first one now has 5500 miles, estimated 400+ cycles and still takes me every inch as far as ever. Loads of 100% discharges too along the way.

Don't get me wrong, loads of people were discussing their %*^((&& up bms's when I ordered my ping in early 2008. But nowdays some vendors actually make sure they work before they send em out. I know that manual balancing and discharge monitoring works, and can work better than a cheap bms, but it will never be as easy as I unplug the charger and ride 30 miles. I think the typical bms on the better vendors batteries are fine for bike size packs. I don't know enough to comment on this when it comes to car or even motorcycle size packs putting out 200 amps or more. If a bms fries now, it's cheaper to replace and worth the expense so you can go live your life instead of monitoring a charger.

And also, there is a battery discussion section.

After reading your post a third time, one more comment. I'm not suprised that your soneil charger has done so well. I mis wired a plug on my ping charger after about a dozen charges and have used sla chargers for around 400+ cycles. The charger voltage never was enough to activate the bms balancing function, but my pack has stayed pretty balanced all this time. Eventually I got into the soniel charger and adjusted the voltage up and got the bms working for top balancing, but the bottom line is that it is true that a good set of lifepo4 cells that is not abused will stay pretty balanced. Your use of a 12v model made it easier for the charger to balance all the cells with a shorter string in series, but my experience shows you may have been ok with a 36v model too.

The main thing seems to be that big, orange text is meant to CONVINCE US OF IMPORTANT STUFF. We might not be able to find these things out on our own. Or, things that contradict big orange text. How confusing.

Good article and looks like you have some well-matched cells with the exception of the one. So long as you have a decent charger, a cell charger to balance with when needed and well-balanced cells to start with it is as you have explained. Not riding to LVC each ride helps keep things balanced also. If you were not so lucky in your purchase of a Lifepo4 pack you may get something thrown together with several mismatched cells or constantly ride to LVC then a BMS would be advisable and save you grief.

I charged as you do for a while that is until my charger decided to not shut down and took a 48V a123 pack all the way to 68V in the few minutes I was not watching it closely. The maximum pack voltage is 52V. I finished my BMS and use it religiously, for charging only, since that mistake. Now and again when I see one cell is out of balance too far, I have a weak cell also, I charge it with a single cell charger like the units you use. It will then stay balanced for several rides all the way to LVC.

Some of the chargers coming from China have a warning not to hook them up without a battery connected and come with their lead colors reversed, we really appreciate that, never know what you are getting.

So in the end is a BMS really needed/required? Probably not most of the time, still it is another layer of protection for the rather expensive batteries many of us choose to use.

Dang, now I gotta edit my comments to put in some big orange text so I won't look too stupid to know how to do it.

I'm with you maxwell no BMS for me ether. Yeah, we can all sit around and argue about it but we will all have our own reasons and opinions on running with or without a BMS. Granted I have only done 50 or so cycles on my 4 12v Thunder Sky packs but I am very happy using a pair cheapo 24v SLA charger or a 12v SLA smart charger. My cells are not exact but non were they when I received them. The small amount that they are out of ballance has been there from day one and remains to be exactly the same. Of course I am very kind to my cells and check them after a ride and after charging.However, I do plan on purchasing 16 individual cell chargers before the riding seson starts again. And I will likely install LV sensors but not to automaticly cut off the pack. I would agree this method is not right for everyone but it sure seams to be good for a growing number of people.

Another vote for Not using BMS on lifepo4. I'm for buying more capacity. How much every you think you want to use, take the AH and multiply it by 2 and that's how big of a battery you should buy. Thumbs up Maxwell. I got the same little chargers too.

It might not be for everyone but for someone who wants to invest the time to understand LIfepo4, going without a BMS is definitely an option. It's also cheaper.

Of course it's an option. Just like running the pack to 100% dod every cycle is an option. Just like running a 2 c cell at 2.5c is an option. The debate is whether it's a wise option. I just think monitoring pack voltage manualy discharging and charging is merely inconvenient.

Cheaper just depends on several things, particularly the size of the pack and the amp output. Bms that works ok for 40 amps or less is pretty inexpensive compared to a few cells. Bigger packs where bms costs thousands for 200 amps is another issue. With a lot more at stake monetarily with a large pack, the inconvenience of manualy monitoring things gets more worthwhile for sure!

Nothing wrong at all with having lots of extra capacity, provided the total weight of the battery pack is not a burden. For me Morph, carrying a 50% reserve would mean carrying 30 pounds of battery at all times. Why do that when I can carry 15 pounds and a 1 ounce bms? For me to ride serious miles, I'll be carrying both pings, and I'll need every watthour to make an 80 mile ride including resets of the bms. I can reset a bms and get another 3 miles if I keep the draw below 10 amps. I've done it many times. So I'll carry 30 pounds of battery for the 60 -80 mile rides, but not for the 20 mile rides.

BUT WHY DOES IT SEEM TO BE A ONE OR THE OTHER THING? DON'T MOST OF THE SMARTER GUYS HERE USE A BMS AND MONTIOR THE PACK VERY CLOSELY?

Besides a bms is simply another tool for monitoring the pack. I agree, if you know which cell will discharge first every time, all you really need is to know when that cell gets low......That is untill you have something happen to another cell you're not watching. The bms is a tool for watching all the cell groups without having 16 voltmeters on board.

Again, bms problems from months or years ago have no bearing on the performance of stuff avaliable now. How many threads do you see complaining about a ping bms? How many complaining about one from V Power? Even with the more problematic products, I bet there are thousands of happy customers for every one that got a bad one. The real problem is a customer service one, and a quality controll one, not a bms design issue. So no problem at all for me with my pings.

I'm a dumbshit, ya'll know that by now. So I just ride along happily trusting my bms. But I have checked the voltage of my cell groups once in a while after a good discharge to see if any are much lower than the other. They never have been off much. Eventually I just stopped doing it very often. Discussions of how to balance a lifepo4 pack are moot if you have a set of good cells. If you pack allows it easy, simply replace a bad cell and the balancing is mostly a non issue.

dogman said:
Of course it's an option. Just like running the pack to 100% dod every cycle is an option. Just like running a 2 c cell at 2.5c is an option. The debate is whether it's a wise option. I just think monitoring pack voltage manualy discharging and charging is merely inconvenient.

"BUT WHY DOES IT SEEM TO BE A ONE OR THE OTHER THING? DON'T MOST OF THE SMARTER GUYS HERE USE A BMS AND MONTIOR THE PACK VERY CLOSELY?"

I'm a dumbshit, ya'll know that by now. So I just ride along happily trusting my bms. But I have checked the voltage of my cell groups once in a while after a good discharge to see if any are much lower than the other. They never have been off much. Eventually I just stopped doing it very often. Discussions of how to balance a lifepo4 pack are moot if you have a set of good cells. If you pack allows it easy, simply replace a bad cell and the balancing is mostly a non issue.

Well we knew there would be a separation between those who do and those who do not feel the desire to have a BMS but we all have a right to have our own opinion. But I think it's totally unnecessary to implying someone is somehow less intelligent if they do not agree with your opinion. I to admit to not being overly intelligent (hence my user name “dumbass”) but I have never thought anyone was smarter then I just because of their opinion. You may not have meant to imply this but it is the way some (including me) will take your comments.

I totally agree that running with no protection is a high risk but this risk is your right to take and in no way does not make you stupid. However, in “my opinion” I prefer to have a monitor that gives me both a viable and audible alarm and allows me to take what action I feel appropriate. Just like driving my car if it has an over heating problem I want a notification of the problem but I damn sure don't want it to turn off the engine. I agree this is normally a lesser danger on a bike but I still want to keep control not some electronic device no matter how reliable it is. But this is just “my opinion”. The same opinion I have a right to have thank you.

the fact that my BMS died over 2 years ago and i was left having to go back to SLA for about a month until i was able to gather the information that in fact i was able to charge manually,and the fact that i have been charging manually for the last 2 years and my pack is still perfect,is the reason i wrote this article,and the reason why this great forum exists,To enlighten and give power to the people :mrgreen:

and the reason i highlighted the important stuff in red is because IT IS IMPORTANT! + i believe it becomes more comprehend-able to any person that is foreign and new to this great hobby. but who's kidding who,i did it for the idiots! :shock:

AussieJester said:
How do you propose owners of prismatic cell lifep04 setups
test their setups? ....Your asuming everyone with Lifep04 has those big
heavy lifep04 like your using...they dont...On top of that Some of us
cells...no..a BMS might not be necessary BUT monitoring and
balancing is, a BMS makes it a hell of alot simpler/convenient...

KiM

well now you know about the prismatic's and why there a lot better :) forgive my sense of humor kim ,of course im just kidding,yes the duct taped ones are lighter and less bulky,but the prismatics are easier to maintain in terms of replacing a dead cell if need be,and as for me i like to be in the drivers seat when it comes to maintenance.and as for your comment:

"How do you propose owners of prismatic cell lifep04 setups
test their setups? ",

here is what i have to say,use the packs and all should go well for the normal operating life, but if for some unknown reason something does go wrong with the bms,you can always carefully take the pack apart using a sharp utility knife, and there is no reason why you cannot charge manually as explained on the article.

as for your other comment:
"On top of that Some of us
cells",

well all i can say is this,if your a billionaire and money is no object, GREAT! chuck the defective pack in the recycle bin or give it away to someone here,or maybe this article is not for you.just my 2cents.

BTW to anyone whose interested the actual time to monitor a prismatic pack is about 5 minutes a month, if that,provided they follow the outline i wrote.

^^ I dont even use Lifep04 ...Dont use a BMS either...I also wouldnt
recommend any noob to this hobby follow your no bms advice either...
I gues i fall into the category of "this advice isnt for everyone" :mrgreen:

just my 2c

KiM

maxwell65 said:
BTW to anyone whose interested the actual time to monitor a prismatic pack is about 5 minutes a month, if that,provided they follow the outline i wrote.

Just to add another 2 cents (mine again) if you feel it takes to long to manually check each and every cell then maybe you can do as I intend to do and install these http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9282 They will check your charge and give a LV alarm. Yes I agree if you have 80 cells then they too are a problem do to cost ($300 for 10 to handle 8 cells each). But for 8 or 16 cell setups I think they would work well (I'll let you know).

if you are running your pack to 50 - 60 % DOD and you kill a cell, that cell wasn't any good anyway. That's how I look at it. Suppose you take your pack out fully charged, you run it to 50 - 60 % and when you get back, you discover that a cell is dead. How would a monitor help you at all in that situation assuming you are running prismatic cells? It wouldn't help you at all. YOu'd only find out a little sooner.

Yes indeed, a cell with 40% less capacity than the others would be a dead duck, bms , no bms. whatever. A runt is a runt.

Several times I had the bms save my pack when the charger failed to fully charge the pack. I'da killed it for sure without a bms lvc, or some kind of low voltage indicator or warning. So for sure you need to have a lvc warning of some kind. I don't think using a monitor on the cells is going without a bms, it's just a different form of the same basic thing. Monitoring a cell, or all the cells for low voltage in use. Discharging a bare pack of cells with no way to know when voltage is too low really is riding bareback.

Charging isn't the major problem if you have a decently matched set of cells. A good set will tend to stay balanced enough, and even a cheap sla " smart charger" can trickle charge the low ones up a bit eventually if the pack is left on it after the green light goes on. That's basicly how I treated my ping for 2000 miles of riding. My charger was slightly undercharging the pack so the bms wasn't doing any balancing. When I got a higher voltage charger, the bms still did nothing, why? Because after all that time, 200 cycles or so, the pack was never unbalanced. Discharging at a lowish c rate and long periods on the charger is why the pack stayed balanced.

As for prismatic packs or larger round cells being somehow superior to other forms, that is mainly true only when you have to remove and replace a cell, or if you want to add cells to make a higher voltage pack.

For cell monitoring purposes, one 20 ah prismatic , two headways, four ping pouches, or ten 18650's are all the same thing. They are a string of paralell cells.
There isn't one big cell in a 20 ah prismatic or a 10 ah headway . Inside the larger cell you will find a paralell string of smaller cells. So nobody is monitoring a single cell on a 20 ah pack. They are monitoring a paralell string. Since paralell cells all rest at the same voltage, it behaves electronicly like a single cell regardles of whether it's ping cells soldered together, spot welded 18650's or a 20 ah prismatic cell. It's not one bit harder to manually monitor cell groups in a prismatic 20 ah format or a 18650 string of paralelled cells.

But it sure as hell is harder to replace a bad string of 18650's. Or unsolder a ping pack. But none of that has any bearing on the bms discussion, I've just strayed to another topic.

Back to the bms topic, I again state my opinion, that only riding along with no real idea of the voltage of the pack is ill advised. A bms with individual cell lvc, monitoring a known weak cell with a voltmeter, a lvc warning buzzer on a known weak cell, pack trackers etc are all good ways to know you have not overdicharged the pack. I just find the bms that comes on a pingbattery to be affordable, and reliable. A voltmeter monitoring a single cell group could easily reassure somebody who was wanting to make sure the bms is working right.

Just having a voltmeter on the whole pack doesn't cut it. Controller lvc doesn't cut it. Planning to use only 50% of the capcity doesn't cut it if you are only assuming that you have a full charge.

dogman said:
Yes indeed, a cell with 40% less capacity than the others would be a dead duck, bms , no bms. whatever. A runt is a runt.

Back to the bms topic, I again state my opinion, that only riding along with no real idea of the voltage of the pack is ill advised. A bms with individual cell lvc, monitoring a known weak cell with a voltmeter, a lvc warning buzzer on a known weak cell, pack trackers etc are all good ways to know you have not overdicharged the pack. I just find the bms that comes on a pingbattery to be affordable, and reliable. A voltmeter monitoring a single cell group could easily reassure somebody who was wanting to make sure the bms is working right.

Just having a voltmeter on the whole pack doesn't cut it. Controller lvc doesn't cut it. Planning to use only 50% of the capcity doesn't cut it if you are only assuming that you have a full charge.

Your points are taken however, I disagree with a BMS or LVC (low voltage cut off) being the same as a monitoring alarm. A BMS on discharge is a LVC and as such will do just that (cut off the power from the batter). Whereas, a monitoring alarm will not. Furthermore, most if any BMSs do not have a readout but the monitoring alarms as indicated in my last post does.

Please remember we are talking about a charged pack before riding. Yes, we do know that the pack was charged to the normal level that we prefer to charge to. We are not just jumping on the bike willy-nilly and riding off into the sunset without a care of the level of our charge. We (I) do track Ahs and mass voltage as riding. And as stated by myself and others we are very kind to our cells and only discharge to about 50% to 60%. So the risks are minimal with the exception of a short which would not be detected. However, if a cell had an internal short it's dead anyway.

It also sounds like you have charged exactly the same way as I and others have done. I don't know that these SLA chargers do any better at balancing or not. I am guessing the fact of cells being in reasonable balance is because the are bottom balancing so well and the SLA charger doesn't charge as high as a lifepo4 charger does.

Sure. A bms and a low voltage alarm are not the same thing. But my point is that they basicly aim to acheive the same goal, not overdischarging the pack to the point where cells get ruined. One way is automatic, the other requires the operator to take action, but both aim to actually monitor cell voltage, not make assumtions as to state of charge at the start, or make assumtions as to how much has been used. Instead either method measures the actual voltage of cells under load.

When I talk about knowing you have a charge, I am thinking of some times my bms saved my ass. I had two different chargers that had weak solder in the output end of the circuit. Twice it was inside the charger, and three times it was just the plug. In all five events, the charger happily turned green light, and I rode off thinking I had a full charge, and ran out halfway home. Since the loss of contact was intermittent, the next day the charger seems to work fine but then again interrupts the charging halfway. The first time it happened, it took me a week of sometimes getting home, and sometimes not to figure out I had a bad connection in my charger. I'd look at it, and it works fine. Maddening till I figured it out. Meanwhile, the bms saves me time and time again.

This I why I comment on actually knowing you have a charge. Not taking the freaking chargers word for it. Now I have a killawatt so I can measure the power the charger uses, and smell a rat if my rides come up short.

To my way of thinking, especially with a larger pack worth thousands, the best way would be to have a bms, and then also monitor all the cell groups voltage by several methods. Low voltage alarms and a voltmeter that can switch to monitor each cell group. And perhaps, even cell monitors that log every detail for diagnostic purposes when needed. The pilot in me loves redundancy.

But on a bike, with a pack worth only a few hundred. Trusting my ping bms is working fine.

As for the chargers, with my battery a good size one discharged mostly at about .75 c, balance what? You gotta get inbalanced to need balancing. I also believe in being nice to your cells, and find a matched set treated nice stays pretty balanced. The guys with more powerfull controllers are the ones with a need to balance the battery. The tiny trickle of current from my soneil sla charger would eventually balance the pack on those rare occasions that I did get it out of balance. The bms would take action if leaving it on the charger constantly ran a cell too high. After the first 2000 miles, I figured out how to turn up the voltage to activate the bms every charge if needed. At that point I was charging my 36v ping to 47 v. Nowdays the same charger only reaches 45.5v.

Back