bob style single wheel trailer with ezee rear motor ?

Diamondback

10 kW
Hi all.

im considering the purchase of a single wheel BOB style trailer for use on a planned upcoming trip.

is anyone here able to tell me if the trailer hitch will play nice with the ezee rear hub motor ?
or will i have to have something custom fabricated ?

thanks in advance.

Jason.

Hi DB, I used a BOB pusher trailer behind my LWB recumbent bike. In general, it worked great. Like most single wheel trailers behind a two wheel bike, there is a tendancy to sway at speeds over 20 MPH. The weight and the way it is loaded are the biggest factors that affect it. If you can keep all the heavy stuff down low you get better results. This is true whether the BOB is a powered pusher trailer or just a plain pull trailer.

Here's a link to a very interesting thread by member Kingfish who has fabricated what appears to be a very costly single wheel pusher trailer from a bmx--like frame. He's gone to great lengths with structural reinforcements and steering stabilizers to reduce wobble at speed. Even so, he hasn't eliminated wobble.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26675

I've also read that high torque pusher trailers are apt to spin at start-up which makes the small 16" wheel on the BOB problematic. Accordingly, I've purchased a used 1993 Giant ATX 770 chromoly 26" frame with shortest 16" seat tube for $20 and would hook it up to a BOB hitch (BOB calls it a "fork") if I decide to build a pusher. I would need to fabricate an 80 degree rear facing hitch connector just below and behind the steerer tube of the frame to mate with the BOB hitch.

The bottom bracket hanger would serve as a base for connecting a platform for trailer stowage and battery mounting.

I use the verb "would" because I haven't convinced myself that the limited power and speed handling practical limits of the system is worth the effort, even though it would allow me to use both of my unpowered bikes in a powered mode.
I'd probably run a 24 x 2.35 Big Apple tire at low pressure to reduce start-up spinning and provide minimal suspension for the trailer. The hub / battery pack voltage would prudently be modest enough to live within the start-up spinning and >20mph instability constraints.

thanks for the info.

on the trip, i think my average speed will be around 20kph, so any swaying should be minimal.

i should have made my post a little clearer too.
i have the ezee mounted in the rear wheel of my bike.
the trailer will be a normal pull trailer, not a powered push trailer.

Jason

Does the rear dropout area of your bike have any threaded holes for mounting racks, etc?

If so, the BOB trailers can be attached through the use of Bob NUTZ screwed into the holes. Since the normal mounting method is to slide the NUTZ onto both ends of an extended BOB skewer I suspect you would not be able to axle mount.

I read one thread where Golden Motors /Canada hooked up a BOB type trailer to a clever torque plate with a mounting holes in a protrusion extending behind the dropout.

The frame does have holes for a rack, but those already mount my rear rack.

Maybe I'll need to have a custom mount made up.
As you said, maybe a good torque plate that has an extended
Part to mount the hitch too.

All good info.

Thanks.

Jason.

I'd make custom bolts for the rack...you just need a bit to stick out so the bolts can do double-duty if they're made for it.

What REdiculous said. I would further suggest that the trailer mount be on the inside, if possible, to mimimize the torque forces on the extended bolt.

The extended torque plate/arm is most compelling when using a fat 26" or a 29" tire if you only have a 26" BOB fork.

Back