Bosch battery compatibility

Dumsterdave

100 W
I have the opportunity to buy 2x36v bosch ebike batteries for very cheap (about $40 usd for the 2). Problem is that i don't plan on using them on a bosch motor. I heard there is something inside then that makes them work with (and only with) bosch motors. Is this true, or can I use them on any 36v motor?

Batteries are batteries, only the BMS circuitry could make them proprietary. If you can't find a workaround, the BMS can be replaced with one that will work with any other controller that you plan to use.

I know that they are just 18650s, with a bosch specific BMS, but will that BMS allow the bosch battery to work with controllers that are not bosch branded? I have soldered BMS's onto packs before, but i'd just like to know if it is possible to skip this and just plug it in to a new controller without having to open up the case and change the bms. Just to simplify things :)

Hard to say, with the info you provided. But if you see only two contacts on the battery plug, then that could only be a + and a -, with no other connections to communicate with proprietary bosch controllers.

Chances are there are more than two contacts, but two of them may be only for charging. I'd just rig up some kind of temporary connection to the two larger contacts, which are going to be the main battery connections. Then connect to your controller and see what happens.

Back