"Broom", a junk commuter ebike

pawelr98

1 µW
Hello

I'm new to the forum so I wanted to start with showing my e-bike that I use for daily commute.

Let's start with the specs:
Steel Frame 24" bike from ~2007
MY1016Z 250W 36V brushed DC motor
"Because" freewheel aluminium crank
2x28T schimano gears on crank
11S6P LG MG1(10A 2900mAh) battery- self made
PWM driver based on TL494 and mosfets-self made

Speed:20-25km/h normally, 30-32km/h on flat road with lowest gear ratio and fully charged battery

It all started in early 2016 when I got the idea.
I was in my last year of highschool.
It was at that time when I decided to actually build an ebike.

Later I purchased a stick welder and welded the frame extension(frame of a small children bike was cut into pieces).
Then I could really start using it.

At that point I was using 3x12V 20Ah lead-acid batteries and I didn't have freewheel crank.
Pretty much how it looked like back then.
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKPS6F4EImU [/youtube]

I was riding it from time to time to get some parts from hardware store.

Because I had a normal crank I had to ride with legs up.
The shadow casted by the frame and myself looked a bit similar to a person "riding" a broom.
This is where the name comes from.

But most likely you noticed the welded extra pair of pedals.
At the beggining it served two purposes:
-place for legs when riding
-motor activation

The "motor activation" part is because of Polish bicycle law (most EU countries have similar laws).
E-bike can be called a standard bike when following conditions are met:
-250W max nominal motor power -check ("nominal" giving a lot of room for extra power)
-48V max voltage -check
-25km/h max speed -check (mechanical limit based on gear ratio)
-Motor activated by pressure on pedals- check

They really did directly state that there must be "pressure on pedals".
So I did exactly that. There's a simple thyristor circuit which activates the controller when pedals get pushed once.

Later I purchased a freewheel crank which finally allowed me to ride normally.

The worst thing that remained were the lead-acid batteries.
They were just darn heavy. ~20Kg on the frame extension (high center of gravity) made it rather unstable on corners.

I didn't use it much because I was spending my time in a different city attending university.

The great breakthrough came when I decided to put together a spot-welder for 18650 cells.
I purchased cheap new LG MG1 cells which had been removed from new batteries.
They measured like a brand new cell.

zVHtyrV.jpg

Battery ended up like this. Balance ports divided it into 6S + 5S for charging with Imax B6.
2jsWENf.jpg

I don't use any BMS system. Just balance charger.
I monitor the voltage using small voltmeter and the battery is protected from shorts by a 25A fast-blow fuse.

After I made the battery I decided to do some more work on the bike.
Removed some junk parts I welded years ago, aligned the rear wheel, replaced the front brake(only one), added lighting and many other small improvements.

The state of the bicycle as it is today.
Doing commute 2 days in a week because it's faster than public transport in early hours.
Public transport can get really crowded and people can even "fight" for ability to get into a bus.
Really gets attention when I roll into university gate on this thing.

Chinese throttle cracked on my first commute. Had to replace hall-sensor(leads broke off) and tape it back together.
24" wheels are small for my height (181cm) so I just happened to hit the key when getting off the bike.
The throttle went into pieces. Really low quality plastic.
lcXuFo4.jpg

ZUuqpS0.jpg

BOuRIyO.jpg

Running fixed gear, at one point I melted the line during welding :oops: .
hHvx9GL.jpg

Simple protection, a steel rod frame along with a chain and a padlock.
ptImidv.jpg

Steel frame is easy to weld using cheap stick welder. Aluminium is not.
If I am to replace the frame then I'm going to get another steel frame.

250W is NOT ENOUGH for rides in "hilly" terrain.
You can kill the motor faster than you think.
I increased the gear reduction to prevent the motor from burning on daily commutes.

I really wish Poland would increase the motor limit to 350W at least(500W would be ideal).
However plenty of e-bike people around here are just using stronger motors which is illegal(such ebike is classified as moped).
Not that police cares much.
Each time the motor struggles I'm considering putting a stronger brushed DC motor or a BLDC motor(a normal one I can just put in the mounting place of current one, it will have better cooling than a hub motor).
Maybe if I kill the current motor then I will really consider purchasing a new stronger one.
For now I prefer sticking to the law.

This thing is amazing!

How much does the chain weigh over your battery box, though?

I would say the chain is somewhere around 2-2.5Kg mark.

The motor has nearly killed itself.

The thing with the MY1016/MY1016Z motors is that the shaft bearing from commutator side is placed in a rubber ring.
With time and heat it gets soft and the rotor will eventually collide with permanent magnets in stator.
I found 360° marks on the magnets.

I was searching for a solution and refrained from riding.

Recently I placed an order on a bearing mounting ring made out of metal.
Cost is ~10PLN or ~2.5USD.

Default shaft bearing is 608 or 8x22x7mm (internal, external, thickness).
Rubber ring makes it 26mm external.

It was almost impossible to find a 8x26mm bearing but I found a 22x26mm metal mounting ring for bearings.
This should fix the problem.
If it doesn't work then I also purchased a cheap ~0.5USD 628 (8x24x7) bearing which should make this rubber ring far tighter.

However there is a long waiting time for this particular item.
I also couldn't find any other local source so I will wait for it to arrive.

While those chinese motors are not the most efficient or reliable then the "crudeness" of DC motors(controller is very simple, "self-regulates") and the pricing makes them appealing.
If the metal ring fixes the bearing problem then the motor should be rather reliable.
Maintence is fairly easy. 20-30 minutes to take it apart, check all the components and put it back together(the harder part).
All you need is two screwdrivers. One philips(screws) and one flat(prying open).

Back