10 µW
Hello everyone,
I have a hub motor of following data:-
Number of strands- 5
Wire gauge- 25 swg
Number of turns- 14
motor rated power- 250W
RPM- 350

Now if I want to make another motor of following parameter, what changes should I make in winding :-
Rated Power- 550W
Peak power- 1000W
RPM-350
Wire gauge- 24 swg

It would be great help if anyone can guide me through it.
Thank you

Motor "power rating" isn't just windings, it is motor design (ability to shed heat, efficiency so it doesn't create the heat to begin with, etc). Given the difference in power level you are after, it's possible you'll need to start with a physically larger motor; just rewinding this one may be insufficient.

The "power rating" isn't really all that meaningful anyway; see this page for some thoughts on that:

If you have a specific job for the motor to do, it is better to determine what torque you need from the motor at what speed (or range of speeds), which you can then use to determine a specific kT (torque / RPM constant), which you can then figure out a winding for. You can possibly use the motor simulator here
to experiment with that. Be sure to read the whole page to get a better idea of how everything works and what to do with it.

Defining what job (speed, acceleration, etc) the motor is already doing for you, under what conditions (terrain, wind, weight, etc), and then what job it needs to do for you, under what conditions, will help you with this project (and will be necessary to use the simulator to figure things out).

To greatly increase torque you would need to alter the design of the motor itself, increasing the width of the stator and rotor (magnets) is the easiest and probably highest effort/benefit ratio.

Note that changing the torque constant also changes the RPM constant (kV), so to get higher torque you get a different RPM, for the same motor power. For instance, non-hubmotors can use a high motor RPM with a lower-torque smaller motor for the same output power, and then use gearing to convert that RPM into torque, for the same power (minus the efficiency losses in the gearing). (geared hubmotors do this, too, but with a non-alterable gearing ratio; middrives can easily have the ratio changed by the end user).

To get a higher motor power (whether you change the winding or not), you have to increase either:

--The voltage to the motor (which increases it's RPM unless you lower the kV of the winding)

--The current to the motor (which increases the heat generated for a specific winding resistance).

Either one will almost certainly require a different battery than you have now, and probably a different controller as well, since it's likely that either or both is limited by current or volts it can handle or supply to below what you want to do with it now vs what they were designed for.

Is there any formula for determining rpm of hub motor based on number of turns and poles or any other parameter?

Also today I faced another problem. I have 2 stators, A and B. Both are exactly same. Even winding on both stator is same as follow:-
Number of turns- 7
Number of strands- 10
Wire gauge- 24 swg
Slot- 48

Only difference in both motors is of air gap and magnet length. Motor A has total of 1.2mm air gap and 27mm magnet length, and Motor B has 0.5mm air gap and 30mm magnet length.
Both are running on same controller. Motor A is running at maximum of 680 rpm, whereas Motor B is running at 530 rpm.
Now I am not able to figure out why is rpm changing when winding is same.
Got any idea regarding this issue??

Different air gap means different magnetic interaction between rotor and stator, which changes the kV and kT. Almost anything you change in a motor design will affect it's operation to one degree or another.

There are FEMM simulation tools that can show you how the details of various motor interactions work, or direct math formulas for motor design on different kinds of motors, but you'll have to look around for them as I don't have any direct links. There are some threads in this subforum (motor technology) including hte sticky index thread that may help.

ok thnx for the info
Also if you have any research paper or literature or thread related to kv and kt please share.

Back