busted again

justadad1957 said:
i actually thought this thread would lead to some suggestions for cheap lighting options

900lm flashlight with battery and charger under $40: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140547474738&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I go one, it's not really 900lm but it's MUCH brighter than the HF flashlights.

At least you don't flunk the attitude test when they do pull you over.

The rules locally are always what the cops make them. I'd lose the earbuds, improve your situational awareness, and make token stops at signs when you do see any car. Chances are, the cops just want you lit, and slowing down and looking at the stop signs rather than blasting em. Nice you have freindly cops, not all small towns do. Keep the 48v, but stay within the cops tolerance of exceeding speed limits and your cops won't care if your bike goes faster than 20 mph. Let er rip out of town if you live in the burbs, but ride nice downtown and you'e good to go.

At wallmart, they sell a Zefal brand light kit. I have two because one is a bit dim for riding fast. I aim one high and one low. Comes with a pretty good rear flasher. I'ts far from the best light, but it's cheap, easy to get hold of, and mine have lasted over a year. The main advantage over a really bright flashlight is it comes with a decent handlebar mount.

dogman said:
At least you don't flunk the attitude test when they do pull you over.

The rules locally are always what the cops make them. I'd lose the earbuds, improve your situational awareness, and make token stops at signs when you do see any car. Chances are, the cops just want you lit, and slowing down and looking at the stop signs rather than blasting em. Nice you have freindly cops, not all small towns do. Keep the 48v, but stay within the cops tolerance of exceeding speed limits and your cops won't care if your bike goes faster than 20 mph. Let er rip out of town if you live in the burbs, but ride nice downtown and you'e good to go.

yeah, I reckon this is the quintessential ebike advice , has alway's worked for me.

One thing I've just gotta ad is that I NEVER EVER speed thru school zones, no matter if I'm on the ebike, car, motorbike or the truck, that's just a given.

the cfl route just looks like it would break too easily
i would actually like to use the relector mounting location above the front wheel but
the zefal light looks more like the route i will take
handle bar space is limited so using 2 of them is out
but atleast a light any light would keep the cops happy
other than theres not enough sprinkles on the donuts

Your thread is titled "busted again," but you didn't mention if you received a ticket. Considering that you didn't have lights, were speeding, and ran a bunch of stop signs, if he didn't give you a ticket you certainly weren't busted. Heck, I'm surprised he didn't confiscate your bike or at least write you up on each violation.

Here's my opinion (since you posted):

1. Ebikes, in my opinion, shouldn't be ridden faster than the speed limit.

2. I don't think having an ebike capable of going 45mph is a problem (if the law allows it), just like I'm glad my car is capable of doing 100mph (if pushed), because having the power to move is good. It doesn't mean you have to use that power. All cars and motorcycles can easily exceed any speed limit, so having a fast ebike is not a big deal. HOWEVER: Going 45mph in a 25mph zone is wrong no matter what vehicle you're in.

3. Speed limits are a good thing. Engineers plot the proper limit for any given situation. Sure, they get it wrong sometimes, but we should obey them, especially in our cars, and particularly in residential areas. I'll never understand the reason people speed in their own neighborhoods. In our state you will see a jail if you hit a kid while exceeding the limit. People get arrested all the time for manslaughter in Georgia because they failed to drive legally and someone got killed. But if you are following the law, and someone else makes the error you won't get in trouble. Speeding doesn't even help that much. You only save a couple minutes, but the risk isn't worth it. I haven't had any kind of moving violation in years. Heck, I think my last moving violation was in the 90s. I just decided I don't need to speed, even on the interstate. I'll hit the slow lane or second lane and put on cruise control. I just don't see the point of going 85mph down the freeway when 70mph (much of Georgia) is more than enough.

4. Stop at those stop signs. Where I grew up in Southern California, the lycras are always yelling at people in cars, particularly those people who carelessly open their doors after parking next to the bike lane. But those same lycras then, in mass, go right through all the stop signs and stop lights. It's a bit of a one-sided affair.

5. Finally (and this just comes out of my head and is my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily right): Ebikes should be like women's makeup. It's meant to highlight, not make you look like a clown.

In other words, if you turn your bike into a motorcycle and wear motorcycle gear, obviously the cops are going to notice and get freaked out. But if you simply look like every other bike rider they probably won't notice. I'm not advocating lycra (most of us ebike to commute to work), but just put on a bike helmet and casually pedal as you ride the posted speed limit.

Or do what I do, ride in a shirt and tie and watch the people say, "hey, look, a Mormon." I get that a lot.

Back