Buzzing Motor

NRWEISS

1 µW
I have run into a road block on my conversion... Its a 1000w 408 series crystallite motor. I have purchase a new controller, Display and 52v 20ah battery. The BMS on the battery was garbage so replaced it. The controller is what I was recommended by Power in Motion as well as the screen. I replaced and rewired the hall sensors. I have checked all the boxes as for phase shorts and hall sensor connectivity. When twist throttle applied it jerks and then makes a buzzing noise as if gear are missing teeth. Please dont resond with check the de railer or the planetary gears. De railer is n/a and it is a direct drive hub. it does work but as soon as i apply more throttle the motor stops and sounds like a bad starter in a car. Please help thanks

Does it have the same problem with the motor off-ground and on-ground? If so, then:

If the hall sensors are functioning correctly, then it's probably the wrong phase/hall wiring combination.

If your controller has a self-learn function, use that to correct this. The company that sold the controller should have the manual that tells you how to do this, if they didn't provide one with it; it's often done by connecting a pair of wires temporarily, but the specific procedure varies from controller to controller.

If it doesn't have SL, then you'll have to manually determine the phase / hall wiring combo; there are a lot of threads and posts with various ways of doing this.

Some possible results, there are many more

If you find no working combinations (there should be three forward, and three reverse) then something is probably wrong with the controller (wiring / connection faults between it and the motor, blown FETs, damaged gate drivers, etc), if you've already verified the motor itself works correctly and has no problems of any kind.

If it does not have a problem off-ground, then there's a small chance the battery is sagging in voltage for some reason (bad cells, interconnects, etc) so much that the controller is cutting out, then the sag stops, controller works, loads the battery down, it sags, controller cuts out, sag stops, etc., repeating rapidly causing a stutter or grinding. But the first stuff above is much more likely.

Last edited:
Back