• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Can I reverse the chainring on BBS02 for positive offset?

Projectitis

100 mW
Hi all,

I'm working on a custom build (recumbent trike style) which has a standard width (68mm PF30) bottom bracket at the front, and a 170mm fatbike axle at the rear. This is being powered by a BBS02 middrive motor. I need to ensure the chain clears the rear wheel with a nice direct chainline. It looks like if I reverse the front chainring so that the offset goes away from the frame, I am almost bang-on for alignment.

Refering to this diagram -
schema-moteur-bbs01.jpg

- the spacing with the stock ring places the chainline at 18.25mm away from the bottom bracket. I've read the offset is "around 1cm" so I am assuming 10mm. This means if I reverse the chainring I will be 20mm (twice the offset) in the other direction giving a new chainline of 38.25mm.

1) Does anyone know if the stock chainring offset is exactly 10mm?
2) Is there any issue reversing the chainring (e.g. are the teeth cut symmetrically)?

Thanks all,
Peter

You can switch the ring round no probs or use washers under the ring with longer ring bolts. Or use a chainring adapter between the ring and the freewheel and chop the arms off the adapter.

I'm not sure of the offset.

Back