Car alternator to PMAC?

Another thing that seems strange is it seems to always want to spin in reverse. Every time I have set it up on the nuc it spins in reverse, but there I can just change direction. And I just connect the phases and halls in any order and run self learn.

On the cheap controller I have found a few combinations where it spins fine in reverse, but only bad running forward.
I might have missed some combination possibly, but it sure seems a lot harder to find a good forward combination.

j bjork said:
Another thing that seems strange is it seems to always want to spin in reverse. Every time I have set it up on the nuc it spins in reverse, but there I can just change direction. And I just connect the phases and halls in any order and run self learn.

On the cheap controller I have found a few combinations where it spins fine in reverse, but only bad running forward.
I might have missed some combination possibly, but it sure seems a lot harder to find a good forward combination.

Well, i tried to search for hall sensor problems, maybe you could search on RC filters for the signal
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/419166/3-phase-bldc-hall-sensor-problem

j bjork said:

Also, Austiwawa's video talks about the 36 possible combinations of hall sensors and phases, did you tried all of those 36 and put it in an Excel spreadsheet?

Hello DIY kollegues,
may I ask a question in this interesting discussion.
How do I find the correct sequence for synchronize rotor to stator.
I was able to set my falling edge and rising edge on the zero crossing of my sensor signal. How do I find stator U to Rotor Sensor U by test.

Here my test setup to set zero crossing.
How do I find UVW Stator to UVW Rotor by measure not by jepardy.

Sensor System works. When I attached it to the controller I had fail starts and that should not be!

Greetings Robert
d79da8691addf04531aec48a3a369515.jpg
79924812d56d2b1a2735c4da4ace7cfc.jpg
674be8c4f7cd2915b0fa66b2eecc7506.jpg
c3e6bbaf5c8bec28f4124a721a6cd40d.jpg
38a555788d69274afbb95bd926fc1574.jpg
c347eba52198cda6219186f21a4e249b.jpg

Gesendet von meinem CPH1911 mit Tapatalk

I have a 8 polepair rotor not 6 as others may have
663a1b7798b80e25e7f6c8ced1814066.jpg
45c00f39b02a2efaffd93b6310d92441.jpg

monette999 said:
I was able to set my falling edge and rising edge on the zero crossing of my sensor signal. How do I find stator U to Rotor Sensor U by test.

Unfortunately, this varies depending on what controller you are using. They are not consistent about the labeling. The only way I know is to trial-and-error using limited current so you don't blow anything up.

The optical encoder looks great!

Hi is the spike on the lower measurement the EMF feedback pulse?
35d85ba18231ff5e442637e018e117e8.jpg

fechter said:
I did something like that many years ago to build a hydroelectric generator. I used some old ceramic speaker magnets that took up the space of the original field coil. One thing I found is the original shaft is magnetic, which shunted away most of the magnetic field. I had to make a non-magnetic shaft from stainless steel. After that it worked reasonably well until the bearings rusted out. But the ceramic magnets are really too weak to make a decent motor. And they get easily demagnetized by high currents.

That was before neodymium magnets were affordable. Now what I see people do is use multiple smaller magnets in a ring around the shaft. Get the right length so the rotor halves are the right spacing. On yours, there is a cylindrical core around the shaft that would have to be removed to make room for the magnets. On mine it was a separate piece that came out with the field coil. You'd still have the issue with the shaft being magnetic.

The skewed "claws" aren't optimal for a motor but should make it a bit quieter.
Do you have a recommendation about the arc spacing on a rotor magnet?

I would like to prefer the 25mm magnet and using metal clips to clamp the magnet.

The 28mm can be only glued that difficult.

Here my ideas of my rotor conversion to PM.

Greeting.
Robert
0a1679744862fe400e49508f612cf8e2.jpg
a7d450f4e42fa981cdf12b7ef22e9a75.jpg
df1056d9a9a3248e349e308d58b9c689.jpg
43f5259b2c72871e3a83fe4e4fa2a9ec.jpg

f96f818799bf084f0a528c53b7f4ea9c.jpg

Maybe we can make a group buy of these magnets.

Maybe IPM Will be easier to manufacture?

If the tolerances are good, laser cut metal sheet and flat magnets can be used.

That's a nice motor but it must be very expensive. The sales video wasn't cheap.
Good Marketing.

I am happy with my alternator,

15 Euro a piece, from Shebay.
and with a sensor system it works well, so 50km/h is not a problem on a 20S 8p configuration.

Greeting
03b13b3a434c005f93983a0ce62441d9.jpg
a19feb800f6d8fef319796c987586ac1.jpg

What I am talking about is the way the magnets are imbedded in the rotor in stead og glued om top og it. With this design, IPM, there is No need for rounded permanent magnets.

Yes I saw that but how an a private engineer with limited equipment build such a rotor case. It look like precision stamping of the Eddie Current Rotor Housing with slides square magnets.
For this build you need a sequential stamping line with integrated welding.

I don't have this at home.

Thanks.

Afaik there is No need for laminations because the rotor is stationary compared to the rotating magnetic field.

I was thinking that laser cut plates could be bought with slightly oversize holes for magnets which could be glued in so they dont slide.

Then the blocks central Hole for the shaft can be taken to size on a lathe.

But yes quite the project!

Back