CAR2GO review/opinion: Pricing make public hazard

Saw a post in this forum that Car2Go allegedly charges by the minute.

That would expalin why I saw some Car2Go drivers doing unsafe maneuvers, apparently in a big hurry.

My opinion/review on Car2Go? Two thumbs down.

I know for certain that a 50cc scooter with a flat deck can carry the same load as Car2Go's Smartcars.

We had a bike trailer, pulled by an ebike, that had a bigger payload than Smartcars.

Its over priced and yes its by the minute, $0.40/m, or $15/hr or $90/day, free gas, free insurance. Now they have added a $1 per trip fee, cant go over 300km on a trip, cant go a certain distance outside home town. Car2Go user card is good for anywhere Car2Go is, like Austin Texas. I have spent a lot of money on Car2Go, but its only good for short trips for the convience factor. I always go for the 4 door Mercedes and I do fit in their 2 door Shmart car (no typo), I am 6'5" and ~300+ lbs. Seat all the way back, and seat tilted all the way back. Shmart car is gutless but in the winter it can bomb through ice and snow like a truck. 4 door Mercedes is powerful, Turbo I think, slams me back in the seat and I drive them like their stolen.

Enterprise is cheap but takes time to get into a car, no free gas, no free insurance. I paid $12.50/day this weeked, Hyundai Sonota, 550km for 2 days and $50 in gas. So same milage as Elantra, but the Nissan Versa is the best gas milage and I fit in that. The Sonota has a ton of room. And yes, I always pin the gas to the speed limit, then put it on cruise. I go around corners at mach 2. I drive them hard. But I am always courteous to bikers and pedestrains. Your credit card may have CDW on it, Collision Damage Waiver. Its good to have, just deny their over-priced insurance and windshield coverage. I never drive behind trucks or be in anyones blind spot but today some moron almost sideswiped me, geezer didnt even look.

Budget is the most expensive. Airports are always the most expensive with extra added fees. Different brand stores offer difference pricing too. Enterprise by me was $12.50/day, while other locations like downtown were offering $20/day. There are some other more independant offerings, Rent-A-Wreck and another. Rent-A-Wreck has older vehicles, 4+ yrs old. Cant beat Enterprise.

There is a p2p car rental app now. Like Airbnb. Only 4 cars in my town. I might rent the Ford Escape and see what the milage is like, then rent it again in the winter to see how the 4x4 is. Its peer reviewed so you dont wanna piss the car owner off.

More and more car-share programs are being closed down. Mountain Equipment Co-Op had one, I dunno if its still going.
One I know of closed down, Calgary Car-Share I think is what it was called. I think they had Toyota mid-size vehicles.

I've found Car2Go drivers the scariest on the road. Like they're crazy bicyclists like me but with an extra 1000 lbs and a motor. They always seem to be grinning from ear to ear, squeezing in between other cars, running oranges, one-hand whipping around corners with a Starbucks in their other. Nice they have their "Tridon" cage but I really worry about them taking out peds and cyclists. Would like to see the accident stats.

Vancouver seems to be the king of kar ko-ops;
modo.coop - the original, actual co-op, still going strong
evo.ca - started by the province run insurance company
Car2Go
Zipcar
velometro.com - soon to be velocar share

I remember someone deriding the concept of car co-ops before they actually existed. He likened it to sharing toilets. Which is really weird, because people actually do share public toilets, which is a lot more of a "direct interpersonal connection". And there have always been taxis and rental cars.

Back