• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cargo bike Xtracycle Bafang conversion build

SamRich

100 W
Not many cargo bike on ES so I thought I'd share this build - nothing fancy here.

I was going to buy an Edgerunner frame but the freeradical xtracycle kit with parts was cheaper and I could customize it with better components.

Frameset
Xtracycle kit on Novara frame that was lying around in the basement waiting for a project.

Bafang BS02 48V 20A
I felt that for a cargo bike a mid-drive made the most sense since you can take advantage of the lower gears when you have heavy cargo and need to go uphill, but can still go 25+Mph on flats with the high gears.

13S 10Ah lipo with 20A BMS 5.5 lbs battery, easily fits in framebag and sufficient for any errand around town.

Misc Hardware
Shimano 9spd Deore 11-34t drivetrain
Mechanical disc brakes.
Mavic/Deore wheelset

I have many friends who test rode it and it was generally their favorite electric bike - Still feels like a bike and offers more possibilities (cargo wise).

20140509_075518.jpg

20140509_075526.jpg

20140509_075633.jpg

20140509_075737.jpg

20140511_103002.jpg

It rides great - real stable even a 25 mph. I consider this my minivan. Next year when my son is old enough, me (or my wife) will be able to ride him around town with the seat attachment or with a trailer (a kid trailer not the cargo one :).

Nice bike!! Cargo on!

beautiful, cargo bikes are like 2 wheel pick-ups. let us know how the mid-drive works out for you. peace out :D

Nice build! How's it holding up? I'm planning a BBS02 build on an Xtracycle Edgerunner. I could save a lot by using the Free Radical kit, but worried about frame flex, plus I'd need to find a decent frame anyways. Also like the lower center of gravity with the 20" rear on the Edgerunner.

Back