Castle HV60 or 160 for Astro3210 ??

SoSauty

1 kW
Several issues discussed with RC Astro 3210s;

1) Y-pedal found his HV160 controller ran hot at cruise and had to open the throttle wide open or close to wide open to keep the heat down,

2) Belt slippage, system flexing, and torque shock are expressed concerns,

3) and from MWKeefer:
[*At 44.4 volts the motor RPM (assuming minimum 90% efficiency) would be: 5394.6 RPM
Astro specs list the best amps on this motor at 17 which with the Kt (if accurate) is wrong... 17A would give you 170 Kt but the same docs claim best motor efficiency at 93% and 190 in oz, that would be 19A right?They claim the figure of 375 in oz above 90% efficiency so... Using the Astro provided Kt: 375 / 10 = 37.5 A, close enough to the 38A you specified. Astro also claims a peak of 500 in ounces of torque for up to 60 seconds... this is interesting, 500 / Kt = 50A. Now we have a max nominal power of 50 * 44.4 = 2220].

My question is, "If the 3210 developes its' power in a range of 17amps to 50amps, the Castle HV controllers like to be run at full power, and over throttling raises stress issues; wouldn't the HV60 amp controller be more suited than the HV160amp?" Or, why does an Astro3210 need to be fed 100+amps?

I believe there's a deeper answer, but could folks be running the HV160 for the big power while the smaller HV60 would yield a more reliable albeit more modest power?

This thread is even more theoritical as I just read recumbence thread as to HV160 and now I can't find the delete for this one :oops:

These controllers just switch pack voltage to the motor windings.

It doesn't matter if the controller's sticker says 10,000amps or 5amps, the power it sends to the motor is determined by the motor winding characteristics, the PWM%, and the pack voltage.

If you pick an HV60 or an HV160, they will both try to do the same thing, just one of them is much better suited for doing it. :)

What I'm saying is that its going to pull what its going to pull. There is no method of phase current controlling for any RC ESC. It's determined by the voltage and the motor winding and RPM. So, unless you're super confident of the amount of time your motor will be at low rpms, its always best to go with the biggest available. Even then, if you've got a low turn count, and plan on doing a bunch if partial throttle stuff, its still likely to fail at some point.

Thanks LFP, so the motor decides the amp draw. I'm going to move this thought over to recumbence's thread on Castle HV160 in the non-hub section.

Hi LFP, as you know I'm running a 10 turn 3210 with the HV160.
Do you think it's ok for me to run low throttle on flat ground?
Battery voltage fresh off the charger is 41v

Nanoha said:
Hi LFP, as you know I'm running a 10 turn 3210 with the HV160.
Do you think it's ok for me to run low throttle on flat ground?
Battery voltage fresh off the charger is 41v

10 turns and 41v max. You've got a really good chance of having your controller live forever.

Back