• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Charging 12v SLA with Li-Ion charger?

smaua

10 mW
hey all, i`m sorry if this is a silly question but i tried searching and googling and i`m still a bit confused as it's been hard to find my specific situation

basically i have a 12v 8aH SLA that im trying to use for an electric vehicle i`m playing with, but there's no charger. I`m not really looking to buy one as it's just a toy vehicle and i want to just do it for free if it's possible.

I've also got one of these : http://www.ryobi.com.au/products/details/14-18v-one-dual-chemistry-intelliport-charger

was reading about how charging a 12v SLA u need a bit more than 12v, and this ryobi charger says 14.4-18. but maybe it's more complex than that..

obivously they are completely different types of batteries but i`m wondering if this charger would be intelligent enough to charge the SLA without damaging it (too much)?

thanks for reading!

edit: ive been reading a bit more about this and i thought i should say i also have a multimeter and i could monitor the voltage with it if that makes it safer

That would only work if your 12v battery had the same electronics inside it that your Ryobi packs have.

You can buy a 12v trickle charger, very slow, for about 5 bucks though. Or use a 2 amps car charger, a bit more expensive. (harbor freight, or ebay)

The best investment you could make, would be to invest in a small, inexpensive RC charger. Something like an Imax B6. With that, you will have a fairly slow charger, 50 watts, but it will be able to charge any chemistry battery you get in the future, up to about 24v.

BTW,, if you do that, set the charger for 2 amps for that 12v lead.

Thanks! thats cool advice..i`ll look into the rc charger cause that would be super handy. just realised i could wire my ryobi battery instead of the SLA so that makes everything much easier and faster.

Back