Charging a Li battery from a 4Runner alternator.

Ihave used the 30 amp Orion TR Smart unit (non isolated) and can say it is a solid unit with good features .The blutooth programming and monitoring is especially useful,.. even if the range did seem to need a nearby phone position.
Victron have very good dealer and customer service support .
I am not sure the higher current units are an advantage as i never managed to get more than 20 amps through to the battery.. maybe very large guage connection cables would help ? (eventhough mine were specd for 50A ?)
Thanks very much. I guess having the battery right behind the front seat of the forerunner will make the distance pretty short, so maybe that will help. I’m hoping for 30 A but I’d be pretty happy with 20 A . That’s still four times the power that you get typically from cigarette lighter port charging of a jackery .
So I am thinking I need to run a wire or two through the firewall. I was thinking 10 AWG would technically be big enough for 30 amps or less, but maybe 8 AWG is a better choice. I’m thinking some 8 AWG welding cable with 50 amp Anderson connectors on the end in the cab of the forerunner. And then I can connect that directly to the Orion 12–12 30 amp. I don’t really have a good idea how you run wires through the firewall. I’ve been kind of observing where wires seem to come through now below the steering wheel area and thinking about what I need to do.

It is a 10s3p from Sanyo I bought from Grin pretty recently. 36 volts 10 Ah. So far I have mostly charged it from the Jackery 1000 or from occasional random shore power using a 2 amp charger I got from grin.

Back