chevy volt 96v module

peadar

100 W
HI all, new to site have ninja 250 8000w hub qs ,fardriver 96850 controller. going for 2 48v chevy volt module . Need charger info, I saw on evalbum a guy used 2 mean well HEP 320 48A 6.7AMP , in series the HLG type is cheaper and seem to do the same thing? will not be using bms, looking also for battery balancer

Yes, you can use two Meanwell HLG-600H-54A and adjust the voltage of each one so the pair equals the full voltage of the pack it will be charging. You can get about 11-12A out of them, so if you need more charging current you can parallel another pair of them to the first pair, just make sure you set the voltage of each seriesed pair exactly the same. If you need less charging current you can either turn down the current on the 600H's or you can use a smaller version like the 300, etc.

The HLGs are potted solid and waterproof/vibrationproof, so you can mount them on the vehicle itself (I use a single one mounted under the SB Cruiser trike).

For a balancer, first test them before charging to see if they are all equal. If they are, then test them under load to see if they stay equal when under a load about the same as they'll see in-use on the vehicle. If they are, then charge them up and see if they stay equal for the charging cycle from beginning to end. If they do, you won't need a balancer at least for now.

If you only charge them to to around 80% of full, and only discharge them to 20-30% above empty, and use them at significantly less than their max current delivery ability, they'll probably stay balanced for some goodly number of cycles. You can then periodically check them, especially when they are nearer empty than full, and then again when full, to see when they start to drift apart. A simple multimeter can be used if you have the patience to check each cell, or you can get some of those RC-hobby multicell checkers and wire up a connector on the pack to match the checker (or change the checker connector to match what you want to use, or make adapters, etc), to check a few cells at a time.

If you're using their full capacity range, and/or their full current capability, they're more likely to drift apart over time, but if they are well-matched cells even full-usage won't unbalance them much until they age enough to become unmatched.

Thanks for the info, is there a cheaper way to go, battery wise? with the same power
as the chevy module?

peadar said:
Thanks for the info, is there a cheaper way to go, battery wise? with the same power
as the chevy module?

No.

Best, most powerful, cheap, and long lasting hybrid EV cells you can buy from a OEM manufacturer. For electrick motorcycles.

If you are after cheap power.

If you are after superduper long range at the cost of power, you can buy a larger, longer range at slower speed, less powerful battery for about 4x more money.

I have a friend with a homebuilt Volt scooter battery that does 1.8 sec to 60mph and breaks 100 mph on a Yuma hub motor. 1800 amps.

I have another friend with a 273 motor with a 96v Chevy battery from a Volt ( 2x, 44v,12s nominal modules in series for 24s, 88v nominal, 100v fully charged... ) on a Hayabusa.

One thing. dont let old coolant sitinthe module channels. The coolant is bad for the cells. Wash it out good.

Also....... I charge my Chevy Volt cells at 15-25A. One hour. Single cells. The cells are ganged up when they are in teh OEM modules.. so...

...IN the module, you can charge at 50A to make a 1 hour charge. You would need to charge at 50 amps to chargethe bike in one hour.

It will take along time with only 6 amps.

600w charger wont cut it unless you want to wait 10 hours per charge.

.....you need like 6000w charger to charge in one hour.

OEM battery took a 60,000w charge input. In the original car as configured ) (@ 96s). OEM battery was designed for 120kW output and 430 Amps for 8 years.

Thanks , chevy 88 volt sounds good, gen1 is cheaper but heavier than gen 2 ,size I'm not sure about gen 2 maybe smaller?

Low and slow charge I thought would be better to balance module

What does your friend use to charge his chevy 88v module and how much?

Where do you recommend I purchase Chevy module 88volt
Thanks again.

peadar said:
Low and slow charge I thought would be better to balance module

Yes they are very well behaved cells, and do balance very nice if you treat them nice. i do sometimes charge on a low rate too. Sometimes. I also use a hobby grade charger to do a special balance evey 1x per season soi can look at the cell voltage and the charge on teh hobby grade high end charger... A hobby grade charger for RC is useful to me for looking ...

peadar said:
Thanks , chevy 88 volt sounds good, gen1 is cheaper but heavier than gen 2 ,size I'm not sure about gen 2 maybe smaller?

Thanks yeah. I dont know, exact weights, but I can take a pic of the Gen1 and the Gen 2 cell plates next to each other. I have many many here for example. the early module has 3p, 15ah cells, in parallel per cell group. the later has 2p, 25ah in parallel per cell group. They do have different footprints but are basically the same size-ish ( same car , different battery footprint). Same length basically, slightly ( slightly ) different design.

The later module cells are a little more energy dense at 205wh/kG as opposed to the early at 180wh/kG.~.. dont quote me. So you get a little more energy density... bot modules are very powerful, early and late.

Eaton. We like to use big DC rectifiers. Or real electric vehicle hobby grade chargers thru a user installed BMS system...I have senn amny EV conversions using the small and powerful Chevy Volt pack for the core ofits power system. ... I mean.. it is part of an electric car battery you are looking at.

There are ebike chargers... small...

Then there is.. electric car and golf cart and forklift and electric motorcycle chargers. Big. Reliable. Well known in teh HobbyEv crowd.
Examples:
http://liionbms.com/php/charger_options.php

DIY and somewhat dangerous?
This is a Eaton DC rectifyer.. ... its like that Meanwell HLG .. but on steroids... 10x more output. You have to be very careful with this kind of power. It can kill you if you do something wrong, such as wire a system incorrectly.
http://dcpower.eaton.com/3g/Rectifiers-list.asp

i like the curtis and elcon ev chargers that were on the link ,has anyone used them to charge
chevy volt 88volt module?

the pfc1500 or curtis 1621

peadar said:
That's a lot of good info,
How many miles per charge does your friends Busa get,

I dont know. It was two years ago. i dont know what eventually happened to the bike: built for the philly auto show.

Here it is. Escobar built it. My friend M. Escobar.

This bike has a pair of 44V nominal Chevrolet Volt modules. Runs on a 96v controller. There is a whole video series for the build.

[youtube]0_RtsaH2pJc[/youtube]
[youtube]2-okdlt4PSA[/youtube]

You can see the two modules in this screenshot.

Trickedout.JPG

peadar said:
good stuff,4 modules that's a lot of weight,it sure looks good , any ninjas out there?

i think it was a pair of modules? 2x, not 4x? IDK. Also the controller he used was a BAC8000... 800A? IDK.

I could ask him.

Tricked Out is doing nice work :bigthumb:

No mention of what's being used for the charger though.

PaPaSteve said:
No mention of what's being used for the charger though.
Here he mentions the range he got.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwT4e6-o_Eo

DogDipstick said:
Here he mentions the range he got.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwT4e6-o_Eo

Took a minute to figure out DIY Guy is the build lead (owner ?) and Tricked Out Customs is the fabricator.
Half way into the video the bike suddenly has LG cells and some kind of charger ???
No BMS mentioned.
Would have been nice to see a spec sheet.
Cool enough though ... nice finish work.

PaPaSteve said:
Took a minute to figure out DIY Guy is the build lead (owner ?) and Tricked Out Customs is the fabricator.
Half way into the video the bike suddenly has LG cells and some kind of charger ???

Yes, Marilio is the guy in the jacket, and he wanted to do it, so he worked with Tricked Out Custom. they both were kinda naive in the building of EV systems. but they figured it out. i was the one who reccomemded the Chevy modules as a drop in power source, and he ws happy with the power he got. |

They tried a N.2 cell pack from a Chevy Bolt for a little while but I do know 100% they used the ChevyVolt modules for a BAC 8000 and it logged 800A output pretty easy. The n.2 cell is an energy cell, not a power cell. 2-3C maximum. The LGZ hybrid cell in teh Volt is certainly a power cell, not an energy cell. 10C or more, continuous.

If you are really interested, i will ask Marilio what happened to it ( The DIY guy). It is just a Facebook message away, if yall want to know more. What charger. Etc.

peadar said:
good stuff,4 modules that's a lot of weight,it sure looks good , any ninjas out there?

Yea I will have to ask if it was 4 or 2 modules in teh bike he rode with. But i know they made good power.

DogDipstick said:
Yea I will have to ask if it was 4 or 2 modules in teh bike he rode with. But i know they made good power.

Or ... watch the videos.

Here's a BTW ...
Frank, a member here on Endless Sphere, built a Busa that hits 204 mph running batteries from Lonestar Sleeper Cells.
video here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpPurk5L7k

PaPaSteve said:
Or ... watch the videos.

I did! Lol. My attention span isnt the best, and I skip through alot and yes, it was him just trying to build an electric bike for views, so its not that interesting but he is a friend and a cool guy. I would have preferred datalogs and quarter mile times but whatever.

I think the four did not work. Did not fit well. I think they then went with 2 and got " not enuf range" on the pack.. so they tried the n.2 cell pack and a few cells gave trouble..

....all hearsay but now Im gonna ask him. Lol. Nowudunnit. Ill find out for real what he did. Hold on a sec. Gimmie a little.

Found a 4.5kw gen 2 pack from Ingenext on line but they do no ship,
who to call ? any shipping welcome,the module is $730+tax
they are hard to find

Ingenext is Canadian and shipping would likely very high even if they did ship to you in the US of A. Search around at wrecker / junk yards or even other only second hand ev sites (they are out there; especially in the US). I've been toying with the idea of using Chevy Volt cells in the future and this site car-part.com seems to return some results even for my area; so you'd likely have plenty to choose from (although you'd probably have to buy the whole pack)

Ingenext is Canadian and shipping would likely very high even if they did ship to you in the US of A. Search around at wrecker / junk yards or even other only second hand ev sites (they are out there; especially in the US). I've been toying with the idea of using Chevy Volt cells in the future and this site car-part.com seems to return some results even for my area; so you'd likely have plenty to choose from (although you'd probably have to buy the whole pack)
I ended up with kokam 57ah pouch cells new in the box 24 in series 96v ,should be better than the volt 88v

I ended up with kokam 57ah pouch cells new in the box 24 in series 96v ,should be better than the volt 88v
The voltages are the same. Just the Volt is nominal voltage 3.7V/cell 88.8V and the kokam is @4V/cell
later floyd

Back