climbing ability bafang bbs 750 vs mac 12

just built a bike with MAC 10T at 74V, 26" wheels. It pulls around 3400W peak, goes 50kph. The motor gets really hot really fast ...it cuts out after a minute at this power (Temp probe connected to Kelly controller). I would always use temp monitoring when using these power levels with geared hubs. Otherwise it will burn very fast.

1boris said:
A MAC 10 on 30% hill 48v 30 amp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHJPOL3_HQ

Was the person filming that standing on a washing machine? Jeez that video was painful to watch

o00scorpion00o said:
d8veh said:
I don't think you're such a great fan of the bosch because it makes you put in effort and you are not a fan of putting effort into peddling if I remember correctly ?

I've nothing against the Bosch, but I prefer to have complete independent control of the motor power. I pedal nearly all the time that I'm riding. I have every type of motor in my own bikes. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

OP was only asking about the BBS02 and the 12T MAC with 48v and 25 amps on 20% hills. What other motors do at different voltages etc is irrelevant. My opinion is that I'd prefer the MAC at 48v. It can do what OP asks, and is more relaxing than the BBS02 to use. The question was simple, and so is the answer.

d8veh said:
o00scorpion00o said:
d8veh said:
I don't think you're such a great fan of the bosch because it makes you put in effort and you are not a fan of putting effort into peddling if I remember correctly ?

I've nothing against the Bosch, but I prefer to have complete independent control of the motor power. I pedal nearly all the time that I'm riding. I have every type of motor in my own bikes. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

OP was only asking about the BBS02 and the 12T MAC with 48v and 25 amps on 20% hills. What other motors do at different voltages etc is irrelevant. My opinion is that I'd prefer the MAC at 48v. It can do what OP asks, and is more relaxing than the BBS02 to use. The question was simple, and so is the answer.

I wasn't being smart by the way, I just remember you saying something on pedelecs.co.uk .

I was out the other day and I noticed how it would sometimes be nice to have a throttle, see I got dodgy knees and if you get pain and you really need to back off on the pedals then the Bosch backs off the power.

Sure I bet the hub moor will always be more relaxing to drive, but how did you find the 750W bafang BBs 02 compared to the Bosch ?

1boris: I am very interested in your observations and comments on the Mac 12t and how that has worked out for you. My wife's bike is a step-thru with 700c x 47mm tires. She doesn't really like to ride above 15 mph, so in adding a motor setup to her bike I have been leaning toward the Mac 10t or 12t for, as you have pointed out, the simplicity of operation and the torque to take on hills when 48 volts and 25 amps are supplied. We do have farm dogs in our area, so being able to sprint to 25 mph on rare occasion would be a plus. She is of slender build. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

hcrider

Hi,I bought a mac 12 motor in 26" wheel and run it at 48v 25 amp.And tested it against my Bafang bbs02 48v 20 amp (46 front cog 32 rear cog). I had the two diffrent setups on similar bikes and used the same battery.I found an steep offroad hill and used throttle only.Both motors stalled but the mac 12 motor was the stronger and went longer up the hill before it stalled.And on every other hill the mac was faster.I am 110 kg so I belive she should buy the mac 10 motor to get more speed.About 25 mph(48v).Mac 12 gives about 21 mph.And by the way the bafang crank motor get hot really fast if I dont pedal.Steep hills with mac 12 is no problem even at my weight.

I compared what I had.From the info at em3ev.com there is not a big diffrence from a 20 and 25 amp bbs02 motor.anyway I belive the mac 12 will be stronger in most hills.And you can always increase the current in the mac 12.the bafang bbs is already on its maximum limit.I feel the bbs 02 is only good on the flat and for slow climbing at steep hills-it loses power and speed fast in medium hills if yo dont have very high cadence.

The other benefit of the BBS02 is to be able to change the gearing to go faster when you're on flat. Mac 12T would just overspin.

So if you only want to use the motor for going uphill, yes a Mac 12T has more torque and can take more power.

If you need perfect freewheeling and able to also use the motor on higher speed, you can consider the BBS02

"1boris"

"Hi,I bought a mac 12 motor in 26" wheel and run it at 48v 25 amp.And tested it against my Bafang bbs02 48v 20 amp (46 front cog 32 rear cog). I am 110 kg"

I weigh 71 kg, and that gearing works great for me on steep pavement, pedaling and running 13.5-15.5 kph, pulling 450 watts. Yesterday I climbed 5.5 km up a mountainside, with 10-18% grade the whole way.

Off road, at your weight, without pedaling, you need a smaller chainring, or a 42 tooth rear cog. You have to take advantage of the gears. This is not a hubmotor.

o00scorpion00o said:
d8veh said:
A 20% hill is nothing for a 12T MAC with 48v and 25 amps. That video shows it on a 30% hill.

Why do it with 1500 watts when you can do it @ 500 for a crank drive ? unless of course you don't want to put effort into peddling.

I can't see a mac pulling 1500 watts at slow long climbs doing it all day compared to the crank drives. Though I would like to try it with a 12T.

You don't have to be putting 1500 watts into it all the time.

The motor simulator says that if you use 45% throttle at 48 volts, you can climb a 20% grade at 9 kph and be drawing 500 watts. The motor will not over-heat until you do this for a continuous 5 minutes, and if you have the temp sensor and a CA, it can be set to automatically scale the power back so as to not damage anything.

crossbreak said:
completely depends on the grade of the hill. At more than 15% the MAC will simply stop. The middrive will still do it. On a 5% hill the MAC will be faster.

Not exactly accurate.

Mac on a climb

I ordered both a MAC and BBS02; have not yet tried the BBS02.

The MAC is quite a climber. In a few months I'll be swapping out the MAC for the BBS02 to test.

Here is the MAC Config.

The BBS02 will use a Dualdrive with 10 speeds and the Lekkie ring.

I have no experience of the mac but have been running the bbs02 750W for over a year on a heavy 26" and i can tell you it pulls 36 mph on the flat and will climb anything you throw at it in fact you have to be careful in the granny gears on vary steep hills as it will flip over backwards.

Back