Co-designer wanted, 3 wheeled tilting car

xarvox said:
As the cad design comes together more and more, i realize that a gravity-controlled tilt function is a bit too complicated for me.

So now ive started investigating in electronicly controlled tilt function.

LOL...sheesh man, i wish i was in your boat puting batteries in my digital camera is a task for me let alone coming up with an electrical controlled tilt function, what happens when the batteries flat does it simply fall over LoL...

Checkout this trike the designer even got it right ie. 2 wheels at the back YES DOC he got it RIGHT!!11oneoneone :p has a neat little feature you can lock the bike in upright position when at stand still, might be worth incorporating this into your design too ?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...07/august/aug0707r8leaningtrike/?&R=EPI-93348

KiM

Here's an idea I've been playing with that would allow for a purely mechanical tilting mechanism. This is a very rough 'sketch,' but I'm working on a more detailed version. The curved bar would also have teeth on it to match with the cog on the steering column. There would be a larger curved, tube attached to the main body of the vehicle which would 'guide' the curved bar part of the front axle assembly as well as hold the steering column/cog in proper position.

The main drawback with this design is that it will always want to tilt. So if you take your hands off the wheel, it will automatically want to turn/tilt - not a desirable effect for emergencies. However, I think I have an idea for a very simple 'auto-correcting' mechanism that will force it to go straight when no force is being put onto the steering wheel.

A nice point with this system, is that it not only tilts the main body of the vehicle, but at the same time it shifts the weight/center of gravity to the inside of the turn - in relation to the three ground points of contact.

MechanicalTilt01.jpg

MechanicalTilt02.jpg

MechanicalTilt03.jpg

I think the simple leaning bicycles put a pivot on an angle behind the seat, to accomplish much the same effect. The rider is placed low to provide some self-centering capacity. A linkage like Michael's illustration could include spring-driven centering.
fun1.jpg
fun1b.jpg
leaner1.gif

A couple of members posted their leaning bicycles, but did not elaborate on the construction details.

TD,

That's an interesting and easy leaning trike. I wonder how it handles at powered bike speeds or down hills.

John

Here's some better illustrations to show what I'm thinking about.

For the self correcting, I've included a "bungee" with a pulley on the steering shaft (second picture does not show it wrapped around the pulley - but you get the idea....). Not sure if this would really suffice....... :oops: I suppose if the steering column cog was large enough, a good stiff rubber cord would work, however if a smaller cog were to be used (resulting in more revolutions of the steering wheel to make a turn), then it probably wouldn't work very well.....

MechanicalTiltB-01.jpg

MechanicalTiltB-02.jpg

MechanicalTiltB-03.jpg

I would think for the early protos, a means of adjusting the pivot angle to optimize the lean/steer ratio would be advised. (Might be good to keep for tuning, even in production.) For that matter, a simple pivot might be inadequate for a broad range of speeds... a variable ratio based on wheel rpm might be needed.

One build I've seen, has wheels tilted in at the top, like competition wheelchairs. That might also benefit from dynamic adjustment.

Hey!

I just launched my website, hordur.se

still, swedish tho, so no luck for most of you guys... :p
But babelfish or equal translation services should be able to fix it for you :)

i must say, ive been twisting my head around a mechanical self-centering tilt function, but realized i simply dont have the brains for it..

The big problem is the overall complexity to translate the sideforces into oposite tilt-forces.
meaning if i replace it with a actuator instead i can easily read the angle with a pendulum and use a computer to keep the pendulum pointing relative down regardless of speed or side-slope angles.

With a spring (or similar safetysystem) it will return to vertical relative to the front wheel angle, meaning naturally self-stable and requre mechanical force to tilt.

Im working on incorporating a second programmer on this project, while i design and build the frame itself.
I will start with something simple, a remote controlled car (about a metre long) or convert a standard bike into a 3wheeled auto-tilter :)

i will never know what works if i dont try it :)

Its much cheaper to scrap and rebuild something small, and i know for a fact that i will fail a few times before i get it to work just right :)

Carv'n Marv'n said:
...even cheaper still to draw it on paper

Thank you for your very insightful post!
It must have taken you seconds to scrible that together, and from the bottom of my heart, i thank you for taking the time and effort.

As per Marvn's suggestion, Googling skateboard trucks (image search) gets some interesting reading
trux1.jpg

http://www.randal.com/guides_faq.html

Carv'n Marv'n said:
it is wise to separate the tilting and steering components /snip/ Hydraulics can work well in tilting and steering systems.... but still better - to be interacting with the human body for lean control.
Exactly. Forget the electronics and sophisticated control mechanisms. Simply separate the two inputs and use hands to control one and feet to control the other. You already have a highly sophisticated, quick-learning, attitude-sensing, parallel-processing unit between your ears :)

Hi,

Googling "Tilting Trike" turns up:
http://tiltingtrike.com/
overview
Vehicles that lean into turns are inherently more stable and quite a bit more fun than those that do not. By tilting into turns, bicycles and motorcycles have a cornering advantage over automobiles that is physically harmonious and produces a thrilling ride.

But having to balance on two wheels limits the application of these vehicles: Two wheeled vehicles always carry the risk of falling over if they loose traction or the rider otherwise loses control. In light of this, many people are working on multi-wheeled tilting vehicles which would merge the feel and handling capacity of a motorcycle with the security and stability of at least three wheels.

The complexity of engineering tilters has proven to be a significant barrier to mainstreaming them. When was the last time you saw one? Most tilting vehicles in development and production have some sort of mechanism or two stage gizmo that is an active part of vehicle control. As a result, the action of leaning into curves is either not optimized for all speeds, not as responsive as operator might like, or it is prohibitively expensive and complex.

I have designed and developed a tilting three-wheeled suspension that allows for complete control of the tilt angle of wheels and chassis, while retaining independent control of the steering angle, through an innovative application of a four-bar linkage.

The effect is unlike anything I have ever ridden, maximizing every good quality of a two-wheeler with all the stability of three to create a driving experience that simply has to be felt to be believed. Somewhere between skiing, skateboarding and motorcycling, my invention allows for the complete, independent control of leaning and steering in an intuitive, safe and easy way.

Complete tilt control means counter-steering associated with turning two-wheelers is eliminated: To execute a turn, you just dive into it, forcing the chassis to tilt at the same time you turn the wheels. Tilt control reduces the yaw time, --the time it takes to settle into a controlled turn—to essentially nothing. Additionally, if you hold it in a turn that is too tight for your speed, forcing the chassis to tilt, the three-wheeled configuration is optimized for maximum rollover threshold so it will resist flipping and rather begin to carve, ultimately beginning to drift as the rear wheel loses traction – an incredible sensation once available only to stuntmen and professional riders.

The best part of all of this is that the vehicle still feels exactly like a motorcycle.The tilt control on this prototype in no way detracts from the essential feeling of flight which makes motorcycling so physically exhilarating. Instead it adds depth and dimension and best of all control to this feeling, increasing its parameters and lowering its risk, all without a computer Plus, you don't have to put your feet down when you stop. If all this sounds too good to be true, just wait till you ride it. In the meantime, check out the video.

I have the complete, ready-to-ride prototype and am about to embark on a nationwide tour to promote this design though the appropriate channels. If you would like to schedule an appearance, email wilcoxjoe@gmail.com or call 336-210-6924

http://tiltingtrike.com/links.htm

Your message contains too many URLs. The maximum number of URLs allowed is 10

Post Continued:
http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_index.htm
There are five parts to this site:
* Motorized TTWs
* Human-Powered TTWs
* Designs and Simulations
* Patents
* TTW Links, Articles, and Related Points of Interest
o Mitch Casto's List Of All Motorized Tilting Three-wheelers on WWW
o Mitch Casto's List Of All Human Powered Tilting Three-wheelers on WWW

http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_links_mcttw.htm
List Of All Motorized Tilting Three-wheelers on WWW
http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_links_mchpttw.htm
List Of All Human Powered Tilting Three-wheelers on WWW

Alan Maurer's Tilting Trike
[youtube]GCJp4tU4TE4[/youtube]

Tilting tricycle bicycle leaning trike
Shows a short test of a new leaning (tilting) bicycle construction - collaboration for further development sought.
http://www.hyperbike.cc
http://www.hyperbike.cc/Vorlage.phtml?id=1796&lan=en
enPorter - environmentally friendly and efficient cargo transport
The project investigates the feasibility of an electric assist system with a tilting three wheeler (trike-tadpole). The enPorter solution allows for a much lower centre of gravity and high safety on slippery roads.
Compared to usual bicycles used for postal delivery, the mechanism for holding the unmanned bicycle in position is much lighter and less complex. A tilting prototype was motorized with an PSM (BLDC) motor and tested with a 36V 15Ah LiFePO4 battery. The driveability was excellent.

We are currently searching for an internally geared five gear cargo grade hub motor for the rear wheel to meet the needs of rough delivery practice in combination with European rules for PAC (Electrically power assisted cycles prEN 15194:2005).
[youtube]dNAipmCKj2M[/youtube]

Good luck on finding the "internally geared five gear cargo grade hub motor for the rear wheel"

Came across this leaning trike - the two lever arms operate independently - one controlling the turn of the wheels, the other controlling the tilt.

I actually really like this design - very streamlined - plus they can do hub or belt drive motors. No prices, but I'm guessing it's a bit pricey. But still, it's a beautiful trike! :shock:

http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm

rohloff.jpg

windschutz.jpg

neige2.GIF

That's kind of what sucks about our evolutionary history. We're born with an innate sense that you better be big or you're going to get eaten(And it also feeds ones sense of dominance) and some people have a natural tendency to pick the biggest vehicle they can afford within their practical limits due to this impulse, which is at odds with energy efficiency of minimizing the cross-sectional area relevant to drag/air-friction. And then we have a wheels race for the bigger vehicle due to safety concerns about mixing with the other big vehicles out there, which certainly doesn't help out the energy efficiency equation.

Here ya go.... http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/wianecki/leaning_trike.htm

Photo14.jpg

Back