Component wisdom needed.

Obiwan007

1 kW
Hey all, I am working on a little electronic project that may turn out to be useful to many of us. But I need to know about the way a form B reed switch works. It looks like it may be just the thing I need but I am wondering how directional the sensitivity is. Here is a pic:

image.jpg

So this style of reed switch is unusual in two way. First, both leads come out of the same end of the glass tube. Second, it is in the normally closed position so when a magnetic field approaches the continuity is interrupted. This will be just the ticket for my project if the switch will operate when the the magnet comes close to the tip rather than the sides like a normal reed switch. Anybody have any experience with these? I want to mount it verticaly and have the magnet approach from the top. Will this work? Also, any suggestion where I can get these cheap in super small sizes? Thanks

Hummmm, not worked with that kind....

You got a data sheet on that one?

:D

Edit: Now that I think about it I did do some work on an house alarm system once that had similar but not exactly the same type of reed switch.

The magnet was on the top of the door and the reed switch mounted over it in the top of the door jam. It switched when the door opened and closed, tip to tip.

This kind.
http://store.sacelec.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2583

Back