Controller fix/modification

mcintyretj

100 W
Hi all,

I accidently connect 100v to my backup 48v controller and heard a loud POP and figured it was fried. However, everything seemed to be working fine but about 1 or 2 mph slower. I have some free time this week so I decided to open it up and check it out. It sure looks like the capacitor is popped.
CIMG5496.JPG

My plan is to replace the exploded cap (63V470uF 105c) and add some solder to the shunt(s) wire (the 2 staple type jumpers?). This setup is the yescomusa 500w 48v rear kit. The motor runs cool so I think a few more amps would be safe. Tips or advice welcome.

Tim McIntyre
Seal Beach, CA USA

Poke around the forums and there are lots of controller repair and mod threads that will have most of the information you need. Some links are also on the wiki.

I've had a couple of the exact controller. I shunt modded one to ~45A almost 2 years ago. I've got another I never used sitting as a spare. replacing the cap should be all you need to get it working properly again.
I did it like this, but didn't go past half way with the wire.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31643

Since you connected so much more voltage to the controller, I would check the output of those three step down regulators sitting next to the resistors there. Those may have blown also. You'll need to replace the cap, power up the controller and probe the output leg and ground. That controller has a coating of weather circuit protector; you'll kinda have to scrape and poke to get a good connection.

I have that controller sitting as a spare as well. :D I've got mine shunt modded and it peaks at 60 Amps. I run the infineon controller now, and it is much smoother and quieter then the old 15fet yescom.

Thanks for the replies. I replaced the cap, looped some wire around one end of the two shunts and added some solder. I was probably too conservative with the wire and solder because when I tested it around to block it topped out at 23 mph on 12s (@48v) which is about the same as it was before I popped the capacitor.

There was a lot of the circuit protector material all over the board. I had to use an exacto knife and some sandpaper clean up the shunt area just to wrap the copper wire around a few times. I did not check the regulators but the controller seems to be working as it should. I will open it again when I have some time and take some pictures.

Thanks again,
Tim McIntyre
Seal Beach, CA USA

Increasing amperage will only produce more speed when there's a heavy load. If you want more speed, you'll have to increase the voltage. Max for that controller is 63V. That's 15s lipo. Should get you ~28mph top speed.

I am as well in stage of modding my 50A Greentime controller. At the moment i have 2 fans attached to new side covers i made out of aluminum. I will upgrade my cables to 10AWG. I was gonna replace caps with Rubycon ZL's but it is very hard to source these at 100V and 470uF. I will still have an option to water cool the controller as i have received my drilling mill. I was looking for formula to exactly calculate shunt resistance for desired amperage if any one knows?
Also, is there a way to adjust HVC and LVC on the controller? I have build a scooter some time ago and it looks like my controller is cutting off power when my 12S pack is still at 37V under load with all cells balanced within 0.01V.
I hope i am not trashing your thread mcintyretj, i thought it would be relevant.
IMAG0001.jpg

Back