Cool Fuel

oatnet

1 MW
Saw this show "Cool Fuel" on the Science Channel (DirectV) yesterday and Tivo'd it. Basic premise is an aussie travelling a 16,000 mile path through every (contenental?) US state, using only alternative fuels. In the episode I watched The goal was to drive from Green Bay, WI, to Chicago, IL on moo power (methane from cow poo driving generators).

They had an ebike, a motorcycle, and a scooter that they charged up on moo power and put into their "soybean oil powered RV". Host drives one vehicle until it dies, then the RV meets up with him and he trades to a new vehicle. The support structure somewhat invalidates the purpose, but a novel concept nonetheless.

They intended to stop at Moo-power dairies along the way but apparently host has an extreme tendancy to get lost, and is unaware of the existance of $99 GPSs. Instead they charge at a few interesting spots, including a truck-mounted charger, which they eventually connect to the motorcycle and charge it while driving. He also borrows a way-cool 70mph solar-only car (University of Arizona) that ROCKS, and a few other interesting EVs.

An interesting show, I'd like to see more. Not sure if the food-crop fuel (soybean) is the best choice.

I am watching another show (Invention nation?) with some kids driving a fry-oil RV around meeting inventors, they had a recent episode "building" (reassembling) an RV.

Back