Cost of Semiconductor Switching per 1,000 watts?

Nehmo

10 kW
How much does it cost to switch, using semiconductors, an amount of electrical power?
IOW, how much does it cost to make a semiconductor switch per 1,000 watts? (Switching speed isn't critical, and some leakage is tolerable.)

Say it’s 100V DC, and you must switch on and off without an mechanical device. How much does it cost to make a semiconductor switch to handle 10 amps, in other words, a 1,000 watts at that voltage? How much does a semiconductor switch cost per 1,000 watts?

I'm envisioning a e-vehicle & roadway system, like a 3rd rail system, in which
 The e-vehicles have a battery but normally are connected via 2 connector shoes to segmented strips in the pavement
 The roadway has half-meter long conductor strips. One is the Ground and the other is hot, insulated from the surrounding ground but is still physically flat with the pavement.
 When the vehicle is completely over a connector strip, it can be powered on. When the vehicle moves to expose a part of the hot strip, that section of the strip is powered off.

I'm trying to estimate the costs of the roadway of such a system.

it would be far easier to have a air cored transformer setup so that voltage and amperage are not that much of a issue
something similar to the wireless charging pads many are using for cellphones/game controllers etc.
only have the primary windings in the road itself allowing passerby ev’s to pull current off of this by having a secondary winding in their cars so that they may convert it to a usable voltage using nothing more than a simple coil of wire , a full wave rectifier, a discrete dc dc converter , and a simple current limiter

nebriancent said:
it would be far easier to have a air cored transformer setup so that voltage and amperage are not that much of a issue
something similar to the wireless charging pads many are using for cellphones/game controllers etc.
only have the primary windings in the road itself allowing passerby ev’s to pull current off of this by having a secondary winding in their cars so that they may convert it to a usable voltage using nothing more than a simple coil of wire , a full wave rectifier, a discrete dc dc converter , and a simple current limiter
If you mean inductive power transfer, there is potential in those designs, and they are elegant. However, direct contact is more efficient.

use i do mean transferring energy by means of inductance
and i do realize that direct contact may be more efficient but it also causes concerns of safety and maintenance due to corrosion and having to have a brush system on cars it just becomes a nightmare

having track works for light rail train as one can limit access to said track .. but for a road system i just don’t think its worth the headache

nebriancent said:
...direct contact ... causes concerns of safety...
(?) That's my point. The electrical hazard of a sentimental strip is literally covered. The vehicle would be over (and thus cover) any hot conductor.

10A 100v low speed unfiltered switching can be done for about $5-15 with the heat sinking.

Back