• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cross-Canada by Ebike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout Saskatchewan and much of Alberta and Manitoba there are these similar looking Grain Elevator buildings every 10km or so. They turned out to be pretty handy emergency recharge stations when I was running low on the battery and still far from a town. But what exactly did they do? I really wanted to know so when I saw this one old one just outside of Indian Head with the ramp open I had to go in for a look:

GrainElevatorRamp.jpg

I was expecting to be shooed out right away, but a very friendly operator inside was equally curious about my presence in there and gave me the full on tour.

GrainElevatorOperator.jpg

So the purpose of the elevator is to be a local depot where farmers can drop off and sell their crop. The various chambers in the building get filled up with different types of grain, and these in turn eventually get dumped into bulk train cars where they are distributed on the international market.

What was amazing about this place was that it was 100% made of wood, had not a single electro-mechanical actuator and was still fully functional and in use, exactly as when it was built some 60-70 years ago. Here are the wooden levers I believe controlling the gates that allow grain to fall from the chute outside into a train car.

GrainControlLevers.jpgGrainGates.jpg

When the farmers pull up, they empty their load through a grating on the floor. The grain is measured by weighing the truck before and after it dumps. But there isn't a load cell with a digital scale readout, no the truck is weighed with an old-fashioned double beam balance, linked with great mechanical advantage to the vehicle platform.

View attachment 2

Underneath the grating is a bin which has an elevator of scoops on a conveyer belt, and this lifts the load to the top of the building. Down below in the 'control room' of sorts, there is a huge disk that looks like the wheel of fortune wheel which the operator rotates to select the correct bin that this batch bets dropped into.

GrainBoard.jpg

Of course, there are a lot of modern concrete and steel Grain Elevators as well, full of electrical actuators and run from a computer console. But I thought it was pretty neat how this one was still in full use with none of that.

justin_le said:
Of course, there are a lot of modern concrete and steel Grain Elevators as well, full of electrical actuators and run from a computer console. But I thought it was pretty neat how this one was still in full use with none of that.

The paltry number of grain elevators remaining today has severely changed the prairie landscape. They previously served as architectural markers aiding a persons' orientation with an otherwise featureless horizon.

Indeed.

I remember being a kid in the 60's, riding in the back of the car as we drove across the prairies. The straight roads and flat landscape, punctuated with grain elevators and silos, prompted me to comment that it was like watching the background in The Flintstones when THEY were driving THEIR car. The same sequence of objects seems to to pass by over and over again...

Saskatchewan's actually a neat place. My brother-in-law did something really bizarre a couple of years ago... He sold everything he had in Toronto and bought a farm in Preeceville, SK. Going out to visit him was a real trip back in time. There are a LOT of farm implements still in active use out there that you would have thought better replaced by more modern technology. But with a pricetag of around $200,000, for example, a new combine harvester isn't in the cards for most folks out there - just the "corporate" farming operations can afford 'em.

Justin

Indian Head has been my favorite place on earth for a decade and I'd love to move there. Too bad they discovered more Oil under Saskatchewan that there is in all of Saudi Arabia because it will transform it into another Alberta

knoxie said:
This Wawa place looks interesting! make sure you get a snap of the Wawa Goose!!

Hi Knoxie, 'cause you asked:

(the concrete pedestal was hard to climb after 3hrs of biking, I gave up trying to sit on the goose at this point):

Too bad, the Viking Restaurant and Tavern is closed today for the stat holiday. Otherwise I'd be inside there eating right now!
The Swimming, in Wawa lake, is just great. Most of the other lakes here are red and murky but Wawa is stream-fed, clean, and pristine.

Justin

So I thought that by buying a brand new and fairly expensive ($160 after tax) rear wheel from the bike store in Thunder Bay that I'd be able to ride with a bit more peace of mind for the rest of the trip. Not so! Two spokes on this new wheel broke on the way out of Nipigon, and then a 3rd spoke snapped just past the small town of White River. I couldn't believe it, after just 2 days of use on fairly smooth roads with no bumps or potholes. What a rip-off! At least the previous generic wheel got my through a few thousand kilometers and a few serious impacts.

Anyways, there aren't any bike stores for hundreds of miles in any direction, but there WAS a local dump nearby. Lots of rummaging required to find a rear wheel that still had bearings and spun mostly true. But I did succeed in finding an OK steel rim 36 spoke unit with a 6speed freewheel. It took a bit of work to true it up and stopping in the rain isn't going to be very fun now with only rear 'V' brakes on chrome steel. But I have a good feeling that the spokes on this one will hold up all the way to Halifax. Something about cheap old heavy steel.

SavedByTheDump.jpg

Justin

good thinking on the dump. Just another example of thinking outside the box. Its that kind of thinking and determination that will get you through the rest of this trip.

Drunkskunk said:
Wow! Keep the pictures coming! This is the greatest event in E vehicles this century! I'm proud to get a virtual front row seat for it, by reading your psots here.

Is Guiness involved? any chance this is setting any world records?

Hi,

"psots"?!

Maybe you should slow down :lol: on the Guinness!

Hi Justin

Thanks for the pictures and the update! that goose looks a lot bigger than I thought!! shame about the viking not being open!!

Cant believe the wheel has started snapping spokes already? it must have been so poorly built? I found the same thing to be honest, the wheels that have come with most of my bikes have been much better than the wheels that I have bought stand alone? Those old wheels should be ok, Steel is very strong and should be good for the rest of the trip.

I think maybe the problem comes from the weight distribution maybe with the weight being further back? or maybe its just poorly made wheels? still it must be a royal pain though when a spoke goes, its bad enough on a normal e-bike let alone one that is carrying all you gear.

Whats the next town on the stop then? thanks again for the update its great to hear back from you as you go, good luck with the wheel hope the rest of the bike holds up for you.

Knoxie

a wheel made for tandem mountain bikes is maybe one thats best suited for this trip... not too pricey and can handle more abuse/weight, some have 48 plus spokes.
keep on rolling mate... :)

justin_le said:
I almost always make a point of stopping and paying respect whenever I see a roadside memorial for yet another traffic victim. It's one of the most glossed over tragedies of the automobile era that even with all the safety regulations and order that they've tried to impose on the roads here, cars still kill some 45,000 people in North America each year, and the per-capita toll is much higher in many other countries.

Yeah I see those roadside memorials regularly. Sobering, esp. the one with messages from kids to their departed daddy on an Ottawa bike path. Some I know the story, and I also remember where they isn't one but I heard of a fatality. NEVER ride a road with sun setting directly down the road; around my corner someone on a bike was killed and I understand why because the day before I was driving there and was almost blinded (Was thinking I could accidentally run over a cop running a speed trap.)

In Ontario at least, I understand they are technically illegal, but practically are tolerated. Many are maintained by family with fresh flowers. Maybe people feel a need to come to terms with the location of the final minutes of life.

Bike on...

Joshua Goldberg said:
Justin

Do you have anyone to stay with in Sault Ste. Marie?

Hey Joshua, no not yet, and I'll be rolling in there Tonight so if you have any ideas pass 'em along! Internet has been pretty sparse this side of Lake Superior. Justin

Hi Justin

Place looks a whole lot bigger! you should be able to get a harty meal and a good shower and a rest somewhere!! thanks for keeping us all updated, would love to see some more shots of your travels, what you doing for entertainment out on the road you packing an MP3 player? TV :lol:

Sault Saint Marie looks like a nice place, meet mr Moose!

Good luck

Knoxie

Attachments

• moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3,148
justin_le said:
So I thought that by buying a brand new and fairly expensive ($160 after tax) rear wheel from the bike store in Thunder Bay that I'd be able to ride with a bit more peace of mind for the rest of the trip. Not so! Two spokes on this new wheel broke on the way out of Nipigon, and then a 3rd spoke snapped just past the small town of White River. I couldn't believe it, after just 2 days of use on fairly smooth roads with no bumps or potholes. What a rip-off! At least the previous generic wheel got my through a few thousand kilometers and a few serious impacts.

Anyways, there aren't any bike stores for hundreds of miles in any direction, but there WAS a local dump nearby. Lots of rummaging required to find a rear wheel that still had bearings and spun mostly true. But I did succeed in finding an OK steel rim 36 spoke unit with a 6speed freewheel. It took a bit of work to true it up and stopping in the rain isn't going to be very fun now with only rear 'V' brakes on chrome steel. But I have a good feeling that the spokes on this one will hold up all the way to Halifax. Something about cheap old heavy steel.

Justin

Whoa! I'd be choked myself and then looking for somebody else to choke if I dropped $160 on a new wheel that didn't survive at least 5,000 km.
It's kind of hard to believe you got a stock standard machine built wheel. For that kind of dough I'd expect forty or more spokes and hand-built by a competent wheelsmith. Sounds like it wasn't properly tensioned and stress relieved, or they were using a bad batch of spokes. That happens. I guess you didn't buy spare spokes to fit the new wheel just in case. Anyway, your emergency solution was inspired and worth passing on. Thanks for the tip.

Hi Justin

Christian here, if you want to stay at my place when in Sudbury you can give me a call at 705 671-1916 (home)
or at work 705 670-8203 ex 353, keep peddaling :)

Re: More Spoke Woes
Cripes! Get your money back! That's unacceptable. Let us know if you'd like us to assist you with this. It's no problem since we're here. Don't know where you bought it, but any reputable retailer would be appalled knowing how badly the product they sell failed.

KoolKat said:
Re: More Spoke Woes
Cripes! Get your money back! That's unacceptable.

No spit!

I once bought cutsom wheels mail order and broke five spokes on the first tour. Since then I've built all my own wheels and have yet to break a spoke.
Somebody else broke two with a polo mallet but that's a different story.

justin_le said:
Joshua Goldberg said:
Justin

Do you have anyone to stay with in Sault Ste. Marie?

Hey Joshua, no not yet, and I'll be rolling in there Tonight so if you have any ideas pass 'em along! Internet has been pretty sparse this side of Lake Superior. Justin

Sorry Justin the e-triker I know there is not replying to my emails tonight

hi justin
have you reach sudbury yet?
i'm in espanola...
let me know when your passing i'll bike out to turnoff
be safe

peace wasp

So I just had a nice day of rest and recovery in Sault Ste Marie (saddly Knoxxie, I didn't find the moose). Somebody mentioned earlier that it seemed as though I was planning this trip by the seat of my pants, and that is so true! But given the large number of people to visit throughout Ontario I'll try to keep the guesswork down a bit with a more prepared schedule.
Thanks to all the postings here I've been persuaded to take the Southern route over Bruce Penisula, especially with a Ferry ride along the way that pretty much sealed the deal. The current itinerary would be something like this:

Thur 4th: Espanola
Fri 5th: Tobermory
Sat 6th: Hanover
Sun 7th: Guelph -> Hamilton -> Burlington
Mon 8th: Oakville -> Mississauga -> Toronto
Tue 9th: Oshawa -> Port Hope
Wed 10th: Kingston
Thur 11th: Ottawa

Ontario Route.gif

I expect to stay for a couple days in Ottawa, and then head to Montreal after the weekend, and be in Quebec City by the middle of the week.

I think I've responded to most of the messages and emails from people on the way, but if you didn't hear anything or want to be a part of this and are en-route do send me a note, email to info@ebikes.ca is best.

Oh, and current stats to date: 4200km, $4.97 worth of electricity, 13.5 Wh/km and 34 kph avg. In my original plans for this trip I was going to see how far I could get with just $5.00, then turn around and take the train back once it was used up. The hope was to make it at least to Toronto but hopefully a bit further to Ottawa. But then I thought hell, might as well go the whole distance, up the energy budget to $10.00, and then have more leeway to really lay on the throttle ;)

Justin

Attachments

• XCanada Trip Stats.xls
    34.5 KB · Views: 78
Hey Justin!
Garry here from Ebikeconversions in St. Albert, AB. Way to go bro! Very neat trip you're making. If you need places to stay around Ottawa I have some ebike contacts there - let me know if you need 'em.

If you're coming through the Edmonton area on your way back home to BC I'd love to connect with you...
Blessings,
Garry

philf said:
Indeed.
Saskatchewan's actually a neat place.

That is so true! I really didn't expect much from Saskatchewan since on the map it just seemed like the longest of the prairie provinces to pass, but it was actually full of unexpected surprises.

Another one that I thought was pretty neat was seeing what looked like fresh mounds of snow by some stream/river banks. These were salt deposits, and I couldn't quite tell if the glistening white heaps like this were natural of if they were the remains of a since-abandoned salt or potash mining operation, but they looked so out of place in any case, like chunks of the arctic dropped into 30 degree summer weather.

SaskatchwanPotash.jpg

A little further along though and we got to the motherload. I knew Saskatchewan was one of the world's largest potash producers, but you have to see the mine in person to really appreciate the scale of it all. What looks like a giant glacier on land turned out to be just the tailings of an underground potassium salt extraction plant. This mountain of rejected salt is 5 stories tall and 14km long, and completely surrounded by a moat of concentrated brine. The picture shows just the tip of it. It was an awesome sight, of course I wanted to swim across the moat and climb to the top but given the number of "authorized personnel only" signs I had to pass to get this close, I thought that might be pushing my luck.

BrineMoat.jpg

Justin, you have used same energy from now then the entire Tesla Roadster 450kg lithium pack!! :twisted: That's awsome!.. you did 15 times more distance than this exotic electric car with one on charge!

I just love to talk about the tesla.. that's, an "electric dream"!

So regarding your trip plans, you should arrive to Quebec between the middle to the end of the next week right?

I'll be ready to join you for 170km!.. i'm finishing right now my last lithium battery pack to complete the 432 cells battery! 2.21kWh :mrgreen:

I observed that the wh/km increase and the avg speed decrease a bit as you approach eastern Canada.. is that the front wind that tend to increase as you arrive?

Oh Also, energy cost here is 5,40 ¢/kWh :mrgreen:

Thanks for this update and data! :wink: i'll send you my phone number and adress by e-mail

Attachments

• Wh_km and avg speed  vs trip.JPG
    Wh_km and avg speed vs trip.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 3,092
justin_le said:
I expect to stay for a couple days in Ottawa, and then head to Montreal after the weekend, and be in Quebec City by the middle of the week.

Cool ! If you have some time, and can exclude it from your energy budget, consider a fun run through Gatineau Park (aka Gatineau HILLS). The hills can be a bear on the batteries going up, but they're VERY fast (or very regen) going down, if you are reasonably aero. Or just get off the "darned" bike for a day or two and walk the canals and riverfront and say hello to the hill cats, and beavers, rabbits... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back