• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cross-Canada by Ebike

Status
Not open for further replies.
justin_le said:
. . . the STAGGERING number of blown tires and tire shreds all over the highway . . .

http://www.rense.com/general82/timeb.htm 'Your Tires May Be A Ticking TImebomb' states that tires older than 6 years can easily self-destruct at highway speeds, and that some stores sell 'new' tires that are actually 14 years old.

Both this article and a news video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_CBgcX_20 ) indicate how to determine the actual manufacture date of the tire.

If you are like me, and check in twice a day to follow along on Justin's adventure, I thought I'd put in a little news.
In sympathy with Justin's adventure, my E-Trike blew two spokes this week.
So, this afternoon, I took my hub motor (404 armature in a 406 hub) and rim to Justin's shop and used his nifty one-stroke-spoke-cutter-threading machine 8) to make up a new set of spokes (one-butt).
While I was truing up the wheel, Justin called in to the shop, and I got to talk to him ( Sept. 5th, 6:30PM Vancouver time).
He was on a ferry crossing lake Huron, heading to the Bruce Peninsula. He sounded great, his usual high-energy self. He is indeed excited to be on this trip, and continues to be impressed with the beauty of the country.
He is delighted to collect all these great experiences (so few people I know would consider it a treat to find a real garbage dump where you can freely pick through the trash to find the treasures).
He is happy, healthy, and loves riding on ferries.
:D

jtborg said:
Justin,

What kind of tires and tubes are you using?

I don't heard you talking about flat tires.

Keep going.
James. :lol:

I know its too late for this but it seems that if your breaking spokes and everything, maybe the tires he's using aren't big enough or have enough load capacity to absorb the road shock from the heavy bike/cargo load that its carying, or maybe its just too much weight for stock rims/spokes. Didn't Justin say the bike weighed like 150lbs?

I had a chance to weight the vehicle this morning, with all my gear but without me aboard; 173 pounds.

Justin,
You getting closer to my house. See map.
map.gif
Give me a call or email if you would like to come down to USA. Buffalo, New York. You can stay at my house. Buffalo NY is the place for chicken wings and Niagara Falls. Contact information is here http://www.voltev.com

jtborg said:
Justin,

Keep going.
James. :lol:

Justin is using Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires.

jtborg said:
Justin,

Hi James, I did actually get one flat early on in the trip, on my 3rd or 4th day. When I tried to find the source, there wasn't anything at all that had punctured the tire, and it didn't have the telltale signs of a pinch flat. The hole in the innertube was right on the inner circumference and the rim tape wasn't completely centered, so I can only suspect that this hole was caused by the tube pressing against an unprotected sharp edge of the nipple hole in the double-walled rim.

FixingFlat.jpg

In Calgary, the staff at the Power-In-Motion store replaced the Schwalbe Marathon tires I had with a Schawlbe Marathon Plus, and then also installed a puncture resistant inner tube that is like 1/8" thick on the outside, that tube alone is heavier than a lot of road tires. Since then there have been no flats, and I've ridden over a lot of rough terrain, gravel patches, and broken glass. Also, pretty much every other bike tourer that I've crossed paths with so far had the Schwalbe Marathon tires as well, so they must live up to their reputation or something.

Justin

swade said:
itselectric said:
We will be providing new tires, bike accessories that he needed for his trip.

If he hasn't got one already, throw in a bike mirror. PM me and I'll paypal you the cash for it!

So I DID get outfit with a mirror and now of course I wonder how on earth I'd got by for so long without one. Before that I had this strategy based on observing the angle of the my shadow in front cast from the headlights of the vehicle behind. By watching the rate at which the angle sweeps to the right while with your ears estimating how far behind you and fast moving the truck was, you could get an OK sense of how much clearance they were giving you. And I was always prepared, if my shadow stayed straight in front, to make a dive for the ditch. But now, I just look in the mirror! I agree with others and now consider this a must for anyone touring on the highways, especially at night.
MirrorMirror.jpg

mace1934 said:
I plan to get a 5304 for my next bike. Apparently, you've had no problems with it riding in heavy rain?

Oh, I anticipated and prepared for problems. A couple days after the heavy rain into Winnipeg one of the hall signals started to go, as happens when there is water either inside the motor or inside the connector for a length of time. I could feel a bit of jittering and more vibration from the hub than normal, and it started getting worse, then BAM, controller went into sensorless mode and everything was totally smooth again. (I said in the first post that it would switch to sensorless without loosing a beat, actually that's the target goal, the code is still a bit buggy and you notice a couple revolutions of intense chugging before thing is totally synchronized). After a few days of decent weather I was back to using the hall sensors again, but usually after it got cold late at night then this issue would come up again, so now I've just left the hall sensor disconnected and am running sensorless all the time.

I also had water damage take out the BMS on the back up lithium battery that was shipped to me in Regina. This happened from the downpour while leaving Thunder Bay. The battery pack wasn't protected or sealed or shielded in any and I'm actually quite surprised at how little water got in. Still, you can see that small amount of corrosion between the leads on one of the BMS chips, and even after trying to dry it out and clean it off there was still no output from the battery.

DownedBMS.jpg

For this pack, it was easy to move some wiring connectors around so that the output leads bypass the BMS entirely, and that's how I've been riding it since. I do recommend that anyone who is preparing a long trip with lithium batteries bring out not just the BMS return, but also the ground lead directly connected to the cells on the battery pack. This way, if the BMS does conk out of start misbehaving, you can simply swap the connection to use the non-BMS connected wire and save yourself from getting stranded.

Justin

Hi Justin

Great to see that you are still on track and you are overcoming these obstacles as they show up, to have had only 1 x flat along the way says a lot about those tyres!! I find on my heavy e-bike prolonged use tends to always wear the beading out and then I get a pinch flat, I get about 3,000 miles on a back tyre before it goes which isnt too bad.

Thanks for the updates we are all keen to see more of your journey and I have been checking back regularly with interest to see where you are and what you are up to, thanks for taking the time to keep us all up to date and good luck on the road.

There are quite a few photos of Justins trip but has anyone filmed anything yet or done an interview? that would be so cool, so cmon fellow ebikers next to meet Justin strap a mike to him and point a camera to get us some youtube e-bike adventure update video!! ha ha. :D

Knoxie

Me and my neighbor will take my Chopper and the Norco, haver his wife drive (by truck )us to the furthest point my chopper battery pack ( 60v 10ah ) will tolerate and bike along with Justin all the way to my place.. I suspect it will be at the Irving " Big Stop " gas station about 30 kms from here..

and yes, camera and video will be taken !! hehe :wink:

Hi

That will be so cool!! would love to hear how justin has found the trip so far, a sort of informal interview would be so great!! I am counting on you Y!! :lol:

Knoxie

Ya'll realize that when Justin completes his Journey to the East we'll want more. Would be retarded travelling East to West back to Vancouver in Winter, but I hear Florida is nice in late November, Louisianna, across Texas, NM, AR, NV and up the West Coast to Vancouver

Hi and Welcome in Quebec!

I'm near Montreal (Longueuil) and I follow your great adventure from ebikes website.
I just realized it's now on this forum.

If you have time to meet someone in Montreal or Longueuil and want a free plug, I'd love it!
let me know by email: manzanoAATTvocamenDDOTTcom

Man, I also want to cross Canada and France (I'm from France) ... but with my family (2 adults, 5y girl and 7 months boy). huh, I'll wait for next year.

And oh, yeah, I need to develop my electric bike to pack everything :lol:

Joshua Goldberg said:
Ya'll realize that when Justin completes his Journey to the East we'll want more. Would be retarded travelling East to West back to Vancouver in Winter, but I hear Florida is nice in late November, Louisianna, across Texas, NM, AR, NV and up the West Coast to Vancouver

Heck with that! Ypedal is to ship him back to Vancouver ASAP so we can ground-strap him to his bench and get those lights and DC-DC converters before the darkest days of the year.
. . .but a circumnavigation of North America would certainly be a bench mark. Cross-country is daunting enough.

Justin,
It is great that you are take this trip and testing the hardware.
I guess when you it get back you will try to make everything that went wrong bulletproof for your next trip.

About the Schwalbe Marathon plus tires they are great, I have had no problem with them.

I have a two tires go bad in less than six month with other brand , one was a Armadillos.

Question , why did'nt you put Green slime in the tires instead of using a 1/8" inner tube?

Ps.
I can't wait when you start to sell some of the gears you have made.

good luck.
James

jtborg said:
Justin,
It is great that you are take this trip and testing the hardware. . .

Question , why did'nt you put Green slime in the tires instead of using a 1/8" inner tube?
. . .
good luck.
James

If you've ever had a Slime filled tire blow out, you'd not ask.
Nasty stuff.

Zoot Katz said:
If you've ever had a Slime filled tire blow out, you'd not ask.
Nasty stuff.

Geeze, I dunno, man. Seems like you'd have a lot more to worry about than a little mess if a tire full-on blew out on you. :shock:

Hi Everyone Justin is safe and sound in Hanover right now, he is staying at his Aunt house and sleeping
in right now, here are some photo's from when he arrived last night!

Attachments

• justin go.jpg
    justin go.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,925
  • justin on the road.jpg
    justin on the road.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,921
  • justin on road.jpg
    justin on road.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,916
  • justin close up.jpg
    justin close up.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,903
velias said:
After looking at the excel statistics, what do you think about the regenerative payback?
It averaged 2-3 percent.
I wonder if having regenerative capability in a controller is worth the extra circuitry?

Your question of "is it worth it?" is based on the common and incorrect assumption that extra or more complicated circuitry is required for a regen motor controller, but that is not the case. The photo below is from a slide on a talk about ebike systems that I gave at the VEVA meeting this past June:

RegenCircuit.gif

On the left is the functional schematic for a non-regen controller, and on the right is the schematic for a regen controller. You can't see a difference because they are identical, the only thing that makes the regen controller do regen is the manner in which the MOSFETS are turned On and Off during PWM.

Few of the common ebike controllers operate in regen simply because the firmware or intelligence needs to be a lot more sophisticated. If you took a Crystalyte controller and changed the mosfet drives to do 2-quadrant PWM, then as soon as you let go of the throttle the motor would come to a dead regen stop. A simple throttle -> PWM doesn't work, the PWM output has to be based around sensing the current flow to and from the motor. If the battery gets disconnected on a controller while doing regen, then the regen current would all get dumped into the main controller capacitor which would overcharge and blow it up in an instant, so the firmware needs to be quick to detect and respond to these kinds of situations as well.

So far I've put nearly 40 amp-hours back into the pack from Regen, that's a full charge for free! It's true that as a percentage of energy used we're just at 2.5%, but that's because on long distance rides like this there isn't much stop and go activity. My experience with using regen in the city is that you typically get between 5 to 10% back, and the majority of that is from stopping rather than from hills. You can still argue that's not much, but you can't say it's not worth it when it comes for nothing.

Mike mentioned less brake wear as being a significant factor, and as someone who dislikes adjusting and replacing bicycle brake pads I couldn't agree more. But the single, biggest plus of having regen:

You all know how by far the most common first question everyone asks when they see your ebike is "Can it recharge while you pedal?"

After years of always having to give a nuanced answer about "only when you're fast enough that the back-emf of the motor exceeds pack voltage etc. etc.", I can finally just say "YES!"

-Justin

Just a bit of advice to pass on to anyone else contemplating a long touring trip by ebike. I had originally assumed that I would often be removing the batteries from the bike and bringing them indoors to libraries, coffee shops etc. for charging. As a result I had a bunch of separate chargers and plugs and was always bundling and unbundling a multitude of cables and connectors every time I wanted to charge up. This got repetitive and tedius after a while.

Chargers Closeup.jpg

So what I finally did back in Manitoba is permanently attach 3 chargers inside the rear triangle where the NiCad pack used to be, and these stay permanently plugged into the packs, and they are all in turn permanently plugged into a single extension cord. Now when I want to charge up there is just a single cord to plug in the wall. It's way more convenient, and well worth setting things up this way before you go.

Justin,

Am I correct that you said " the chargers cables are connected to the battery packs permanently ?"

Are you riding the E-bike with the charger cable attached to the batteries or are you dis-connecting the charger plug?

It would be great if I can leave the charger plug connected to the pack and not having to plug and un-plug the charger cable.

Great job.

James

Hi everyone, so I'm only just now leaving Hanover, been staying with my aunt and uncle who I haven't seen in about 20 years, both of whom to my surprise have ebikes! I'll be in Guelph at around 6pm for recharging. I'll probably be adding an extra day to the itinerary posted early as a result. Will have updates again from the next stop. -Justin

Hi Justin

Love the regen explanation!! esp the kids asking does it regen, I get asked that so much, its basically how fast, how far,regen and cost! should just get it printed on a t-shirt!!

The coolest thing for me about your controller is the on the fly switch from hall to sensorless switching, this is an amazing feature!! esp as a lot of the xlyte motors do have hall problems and on big rigs with high volts this can cause problems, a smooth switch over would be a real feature and a half.

Been tracking your trip for a few weeks now and regularly check in to the thread and also check your location on the ground on Google Earth, have you been plotting the places that you charged up? also you seem to be taking photos along the way, are you planning on a online diary photo blog when you get back? that would be so cool, keeping track of the charging points will also help others if they want to follow in your footsteps!!

Have a good week, you always seem to have such a big smile on your face, you must be happy doing this! its going to be strange getting back home I am sure!!

Good Luck

Knoxie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back