Cross-Canada by Ebike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo

I think this thread is just fine? and in fact I think it needs more photos and definitely some video! it makes a nice change to have a story grow like this on here rather than the "ive blown my controller up can someone help" posts.

Justins trip is pretty epic stuff, i dont know of anyone else on the board that is doing this? which makes the trip and the posts a very healthy forum post, you only have to look at the picture counters to see how many people are digging this thread.

I suspect Justin is feeling a little over papped! :) I understand that!

So anybody got any video of the man yet? :)

Keep on sailing Justin!

Knoxie

Doctorbass said:
Hey Justin, My last Lithium battery pack is now finished!... I now have 2.160kWh before each cells goes to 3.0V.

I'm ready for 170km with you!.. i'll try only with one charge.. but even if my battery goes empty before to reach La Pocatiere http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...7.368594,-70.032349&spn=2.474018,4.921875&z=8 i'll be ready for charging! i'll bring my 1.5kW charger.. I mean... This: :mrgreen:

So if you need some xtra charging power.. that should do the job!

That is a sick PS DOC!

meanwell the one of the best makes

BTW did you ever get around to posting a video tutorial for dc-dc charger build?

Justin I've been lurking and following your trek since I found the thread many days back. Built my first e-bike three months back, thanks to the great amount information shared on this forum, and was happy to make my goal of 20 miles out of a charge. Seeing you go across Canada put me over the edge. I had been thinking about doubling my range but now I see I need more so you are costing me allot of money. ;^) Second and third build are in the werqs and now one of them will have to be a long distance machine. I did not worry about weight when it came to wheels and used beefy ones with 12ga spokes on my builds. Still with the weight you are pulling it makes me wonder if they would even be up to it. I would think the tandem wheel others speak of should be up to the task and I hope some one gets one to you soon. Appreciate all you and others have shared on the forum and the effort you make to keep in touch and share your experience with the rest of us.
Thanks
Duane

justin_le said:
The bicycle on his roof was not just a prop, it is the world's largest functioning and rideable bike, you can see where the rider sits and the pedal cranks and imagine a person sitting there to get a perspective on the size, the wheels are some 10-12 feet in diameter. This was built and successfully ridden around town in 1984. However, you won't see it in the Guinness record book because he didn't want to pay the fee!
Justin

Very Cool ! :) Thanks for going back and the pictures and story.

You have to pay Guinness ? I just lost whatever little respect I had for them then.

I would never have thought the bike on the roof was ridable ! Could have just been an artsy DIY antenna....

Hi Justin,
I've been enjoying your journey!

I'm curious as to why you didn't choose to tow a trailer instead of loading up your bike so heavily with gear?

Regarding Mr. Pietre, I grew up in Taber (I live in Lethbridge now) and at one point actually lived a block away from where he used to live. Their yard always amazed me. I remember when they were building that huge bike. And they did have people riding it. Every year at the Taber parade, the Pietre's would have a pile of people riding all sorts of his creations in the parade... the Taber Wild Riders was what I think they called it. They had super high two wheel bikes, bikes with oval wheels, tandems, tandems for three (what ever you would call that), and all sorts of interesting bikes. For me, it was always the highlight of the parade. The Pietre kids never rode normal bikes around town... they would ride these high bikes to the local swimming pool, or you would see someone riding a bike with an oblong rear or front wheel. I remember them pushing these high bikes, then kind of running up the built in ladder to get on the seat and keep going. The really high ones they would prop up against something, then give er'.

Believe it when Pietre says that big bike was ridden. Interesting note is that I think he used garden hose for the tyres on that one.

I didn't know you were going through Taber. I would've joined you for a while!

thanks for posting about the Taber guy. I really enjoyed it.

My wife has relatives that live near there maybe I will stop by.

justin_le said:
If anyone on this list has an idea for a place in the route that is likely to actually have either high spoke count or heavy gauge wheels in stock, we'd be quite interested to hear about it.

I spoke to the folks at phat moose about your wheel situation. Hopefully you can get outfitted in TO, but if not phat moose said they can build you a super strong wheel. But you'll need to call them and tell them what wheels specs you need.

http://www.phatmoosecycles.com/location.htm

mikereidis said:
justin_le said:
The bicycle on his roof was not just a prop, it is the world's largest functioning and rideable bike, you can see where the rider sits and the pedal cranks and imagine a person sitting there to get a perspective on the size, the wheels are some 10-12 feet in diameter. This was built and successfully ridden around town in 1984. However, you won't see it in the Guinness record book because he didn't want to pay the fee!
Justin

You have to pay Guinness ? I just lost whatever little respect I had for them then.

I would never have thought the bike on the roof was ridable ! Could have just been an artsy DIY antenna....

I was curious about this fee and for the record this is what I found on guiness's website.

"# How much do I have to pay when I make my record attempt?

Generally, nothing! The only time Guinness World Records might expect payment is if you need to use our Fast Track or Fast Review service – and if members of our staff have, by arrangement, attended your event.

Also, while all successful record breakers receive, free of charge, a certificate recognizing their achievement, we do make a charge for any additional copies if they're requested."

So farthest e-bike ride record category??? :D :D :D

Hi Justin,

I am following you journey on your website. Quite a challenge. You should have call this "Odyssey on a E-Bike"

When will arrive the time to plan your path in the Montreal area, keep in mind a power outlet is waiting for you 40 kilometers east of Montreal.

I may also suggest a path where to enter on the Montreal Island from the west, on a bicycle, and where to go out, by the east (depending on your preferred path).

But I let you finish with Ontario.

Keep concentrated and ride safely.

Marc Poirier

Hi Justin

let me know if you need anything..i'm west on montreal in Pincourt by higway 20.
I have tools power and an bed and a good meal if needed.

Bernard

Hi Justin

Your the man. Only saw this yesterday so had 21 pages of reading to catch up.
IF you are passing through Queensland (Aust) I have heaps of room for you. Just overinflate tyres first. On bright side spoke load would be reduced :)

Question. How is the different battery sets performing. Any problems for different types or specific problems?
With 3 types of cells you are in good position to offer some insight into daily use.

Cheers

Justin met with a group of Toronto fans this evening in cold and showery High Park after spending some time at the Urbane Cyclist in downtown Toronto. On his way to High Park, Justin was spotted (and successfully hailed) across ten lanes of traffic while cycling on Lakeshore Boulevard. Justin's welcoming committee came with an interesting assortment of two etrikes and three ebikes. He is a modest yet capable young man and during the course of his visit was able to assist one of the group in checking some circuitry (those pesky mosfets!). His bike seems cumbersome (it's long and loaded) but Justin handles it with ease. Bungee cords cover a multitude of sins along with tarps and netting gathering everything together. To imagine that he has manoeuvred this machine most of the way across Canada in about a month is astonishing. Especially when carrying everything including tools, batteries, chargers, clothing and assorted spare parts. In addition, Justin has developed the ability to spot a 110v outlet from incredible distances.

Planning the journey began two years ago but the cross country trek is the fulfillment of a childhood dream. The hub motor idea came much later. Justin intends to continue all the way to Halifax and should be in Ottawa at the end of the week. Elizabeth May, Stephane Dion and Jack Layton should be pleased to see him as they all seem to have a green platform! Look out for Harper in the bushes with road spikes!
As darkness fell, Justin was taken off to his accommodation with some of the group.

Thanks to Bill Best for arranging (and catering) the meeting.

Pictures of the event can be found here:
http://homepage.mac.com/mcresearch/Justin%20Lemire-Elmore/

Roy Murray
Toronto

I'm glad things worked out.. It was really nice meeting all of you. I'll post the pics Sean took tomorrow.

Hi

Thanks for the pictures!! they are all great, loving the trike!! is that an X5 in the front of that thing? loads of space in the back for batteries. Justin looks to be in good shape still as well, how was his new wheel holding up?

Thanks again

Knoxie

kbdog said:
Justin met with a group of Toronto fans this evening in cold and showery High Park after spending some time at the Urbane Cyclist in downtown Toronto.

Planning the journey began two years ago but the cross country trek is the fulfillment of a childhood dream. The hub motor idea came much later. Justin intends to continue all the way to Halifax and should be in Ottawa at the end of the week. Elizabeth May, Stephane Dion and Jack Layton should be pleased to see him as they all seem to have a green platform! Look out for Harper in the bushes with road spikes!
As darkness fell, Justin was taken off to his accommodation with some of the group.

Roy Murray
Toronto

Thanks for report and pics. At least Chretien is retired, or Justin could have gotten a "Shawinigan Handshake" pushing him off the NCC multi-use path where ebikes are now banned. :mrgreen:

So Justin will be here in Ottawa a bit earlier than expected I guess, but the weekend is good. If the timing is good or I can get a few hours off of work, I'm hoping to meet up with Justin in Kanata area on my ebike as he comes through. If anyone else in Ottawa area is interested in Ottawa area meetups, PM or email me and/or Justin.

It's election season. I don't know if Parliament Hill is busy with news crews or dead right now. Haven't been watching the news... too busy with ebiking and building... :)

knoxie said:
Hi

Thanks for the pictures!! they are all great, loving the trike!! is that an X5 in the front of that thing? loads of space in the back for batteries. Justin looks to be in good shape still as well, how was his new wheel holding up?

Thanks again

Knoxie

Yeah that's a 5304 in the front, but I need to add some weight up there because the wheel spins out with all the torque. I rode it for the first time last night and it was fun and terrifying all at the same time. I'll take a picture of the rear cabinet later, but I've got two of Justin's 36V 20Ah NiMH battery packs hooked up in series back there on a 48A controller. ..you can see how that might be terrifying :wink:

Hey, this is Brad (Koolkat's other half).

Actually, you do not have to pay to get a Guinness record. I received the world record for "Tallest Rideable Bicycle" in 2003. A photo of my bike can be seen on page 134 of the 2005 50th Anniversary Guinness World Record book. All I had to do was send them photos and video of the unit being ridden with measurements and testimonials from witnesses. I think if you want Guinness officials to attend the record breaking event, you pay their expenses. Unfortunately, the bike was too long to keep in my garage and I cut it up after a year to make a better one. If the bike were still around, I would have taken a photo of Justin riding it when he was here!

Hey Justin, it was so cool to connect with you and we hope you write a book on your adventure. If you ever decide to do so, let me know and I will connect you with our publisher. Keep fighting the good fight bro! Great pics of the Toronto gathering, Roy!

Brad

mikereidis said:
justin_le said:
Justin

Justin: Just wondering how much energy you think would be sapped by having some suspension (albeit stiff)? Have you had any experience comparing the energy consumption of a particular ebike with and without suspension?

very nice shots kbdog looking forward to your pics sean,
nice to meet you all .
Good luck to Justin

Last evening in Toronto with Justin and everyone was a total blast! Although I PM'd Bill Best that morning for the first time ever, he immediately offered to transport me and my bike to the BBQ! He even let me ride his new trike to the meetup at High Park! Bill also organized the BBQ and gave rides to several others too. A very kind and generous man. What a hoot to see him whizzing down a dark park road on that 72v Batcycle! Justin kindly metered a bad controller I had, and was super friendly, full of info, ideas and tales of the road. Good luck Justin - may the wind be at your back with no traffic or hills, and every day a sunny one.

This is a really big "Thank You" to Bill and Justin, and to all those attending too: Sean, Chris, Roy, Ron, Hennya, Gilles, Bill - great meeting you all.

There are enough e-bikes in the Big Smoke (Toronto) to make a Critical Mass ride. Anyone up for it before Frosty arrives?

Alas I did not make it to High Park. My excuse was a Dead Lithium battery pack---dead as in 0.12V. Justin took the pack apart before he left my apt today and got the BMS working again and now I have my 42V restored. I did try to ride to the park but collided with a Police Car pulling out of an underground parking garage. All I suffered was a smashed Mir-Cycle handlebar mirror. Puzzled me why the Police didn't nail me for having no lights and no horn but I realized later he had his lights off as well and likely felt it was his fault.

My trailer is 66 inches long and driving with no Flag and no Red tail light I had visions of a car driving into my trailer in the dark. Tomorrow the trailer meets Mr. Angle Grinder and gets shortened to 48" for safety sake.

Apologies to Bill Best for last night. Justin, Bill W. and I got talking in my living room and that went on till 4 am and by then it was too late for Justin to ride to your apt. to get some sleep.

Joshua Goldberg said:
Apologies to Bill Best for last night. Justin, Bill W. and I got talking in my living room and that went on till 4 am and by then it was too late for Justin to ride to your apt. to get some sleep.

No apologies necessary! I'm just glad the two of you were able to get together..although I did stay up till 3am wondering if Justin was still coming. :D
So long as Justin had a place to sleep that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the updates fellows.

Just wanted to say that aside from all that has been mentioned above i really like the bike set up the gentleman in the white baseball cap riding ( apologize since the photo,s are not tagged) with bar across and the seat (I think banana seat) moved back and the handle bars up thats should be very comfortable .

very nice idea

5304 is what i want to get not yet set on front or back leaning towards the front more now i think

Sorry could be there
good luck Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back