Current (2023) recommendations for trustworthy ebike battery vendors

But yeah what are the highest quality 72v cells I can get my hands on?
I don't think you're going to find many 72v cells, either high or low quality, if any.

And what is the smallest performance size that won't be too weak, like 14ah?
Ah (amp hours) refers more to range or stamina. A (amps) is more of a power rating, probably what you are asking about.

V*A=W, so for your example, 5kW motor at 72V requires 69-70 amp battery & controller, but you must derate this because there are losses, and also degradations over time.

Starting to get up into big money territory.

Was thinking of going 72v with the BBSHD.
what controller are you going to replace the built in one with? the built in one is not likely to take 72v.

Demoed at 52v and the power for that is fine on flats at around 800w or full throttle uphill. Was thinking though how fun it would be to have the throttle on demand for crazy high power just to pull jumps or do quick acceleration bumps, I dunno if that would tax the motor too much ramping up from 800/1000 to 2-5k.
is the motor designed for that much power? seems like it is probably going to overheat.

if it doesn't overheat, can the gearing and clutches inside it take that power without breaking?

But yeah what are the highest quality 72v cells I can get my hands on? D

there are no 72v cells.

there are 72v batteries.

highest quality is probably going to be recycled sections of large-ev (car, truck) battery packs, that you will have to build into a battery, and you'll have to learn how to do that.

And what is the smallest performance size that won't be too weak, like 14ah?
ah isn't a "performance size", it's a capacity, which means range.

a is amps, or current, ah is amp hours or capacity

I would personally buy from grin or em3ev. Many good experiences with those vendors and done experimenting with new ones and experiencing the hit/miss.

ps, Grin just recently changed their shipping options for batteries. It's worthwhile to see if shipping a battery is still cost prohibitive if you're really far from Canada. I see that shipping rates to the USA recently dropped like a stone.

chi battery systems ?
I remember seeing one of their videos two years ago. Looks like some smart guys.

I'd love one of those monster sized packs on a bike which could fit it.

Would like to hear any reports on build quality for these..

Back