Cycle Analyst oscillating like crazy

johnnyz

1 kW
Hi there...as in another thread, I have completed a Lifepo4 battery swap from SLA and my Crystalyte 18 Fet 65 amp controller from the stock unit and a Cycle Analyst.72 volt system (80 volts fully charged)

TERRIBLE!!!!...Yes, the bike is more powerful. The acceleration is truely a thing to behold...BUT try and hold any speed above 35 kph and it shutters and stutters like im hitting the throttle and letting go all many times a second. I have played around with all the gains in the advanced menu to no avail.

The bike is also slower on top end. Does anyone have an idea whats going on?...is there a way to disconnect the throttle override and just use it as a volt/amp watt meter?....the instructions for someone less technical are a challenge.
ebiketransfrm.jpg
cabike.jpg

John

induna said:
Do you have current limit of speed limit set in the CA that you are reaching?

Current limit of speed limit?...I have a current limit of 65 amps. The controller will pull this amount without problem, but only pulls maximum of 55 amps. I have not touched speed limit but left it at "99 kph"...perhaps you could be more specific?

By the way full throttle is smooth as is speed below 25 kph

John

It's simply that the symptoms you are describing remind me of what can happen when the CA is coming up against a limit and the control loop timing is a little sloppy. My old version 2.2 would surge on and off when it hit the current limit I had set until I adjusted the gains properly. You might have a different problem, or not. I can't really be more specific than that.

Can't you just connect your throttle directly to the controller?

induna said:
It's simply that the symptoms you are describing remind me of what can happen when the CA is coming up against a limit and the control loop timing is a little sloppy. My old version 2.2 would surge on and off when it hit the current limit I had set until I adjusted the gains properly. You might have a different problem, or not. I can't really be more specific than that.

Can't you just connect your throttle directly to the controller?

The CA is a direct plug and play with the Crystalyte Controller. However, I suppose it might be possible to diconnect the throttle wire in that harness....I have tried settings in the gains and no effect that I can see...I will try something different today.

John

Check that the shunt R value programmed into the CA is the same value as the actual shunt R in your controller. This can cause issues particularly when trying to hold a given speed, not so noticeable at very low currents. I fixed a badly oscillating ca/controller issue by putting the appropriate value into the CA. Hopefully it's marke on your controller somewhere, otherwise search threads for how to calc.
Fingers crossed!

kdog said:
Check that the shunt R value programmed into the CA is the same value as the actual shunt R in your controller. This can cause issues particularly when trying to hold a given speed, not so noticeable at very low currents. I fixed a badly oscillating ca/controller issue by putting the appropriate value into the CA. Hopefully it's marke on your controller somewhere, otherwise search threads for how to calc.
Fingers crossed!

Hey and thanks for the input!..I called the vendor for my Crystalyte Controller and he gave me a value of 1.67 ohms, and thats what I put into the value for the CA. Comparing the values while riding corresponded to my previous watt meter, so I think it's correct....however,No difference. I even counted how many poles there were on this motor by counting every time the voltage went to zero by rotating the wheel and got 28 poles which surprised me. I even changed this back to 26 and no difference. Frustrating!. I am going to disconnect the throttle line going into the controller from the direct plug and play harness from the CA and that im assuming would take care of any throttle override as ultimately Im primarily interested in the data the unit gives me.

John

Well, eliminating the throttle wire did nothing. So just for fun I set the amps to 25 max. It pulled 55 amps (should have pulled 65).

Does anyone on this site know how to configure this CA without any over ride fucntions and have it act like a normal watt meter?

Im going to take the panel off the side and disconnect the CA and see if it still does it just to be sure it isnt something else

John

amberwolf said:
When you disconnect the CA from the system, and just connect the throttle directly to the controller, does it still do this?

If so, you have a controller or other problem, and not a CA problem, and need to fix that first, and then hook up the CA and follow Teklektik's UUGuide to set it up.

johnnyz said:
Does anyone on this site know how to configure this CA without any over ride fucntions and have it act like a normal watt meter?
Simply don't hook up the throttle/etc output from the CA to the controller. Then ti can't control the controller.

Thanks for the reply.

I did disconnect the CA from the Controller and it is still doing it so it is not the CA. The controller was working perfectly in my trike for 3000 plus kms. However when switching everything over from the stock bike, the stock throttle wouldnt work. I went with my Crystalyte throttle..however I had to take it apart, and when I put it back together I may have damaged it..I put voltage on it and watched the reading while I twisted...at the very limit at times the voltage seemed erratic..it also only went to 3.65 volts..maybe thats why im losing a bit of top end compared to what the bike did before with a weaker controller...maybe its my imagination...I ordered another one, so we will see, but I think it has to be the throttle.

John

Another thing...The dealer told me that the motor is a sinewave motor...??...I realize the Controller is a sinewave controller, but never heard of a "sinewave motor"??...it's either a 3 phase dd motor or it isnt, unless im missing something..??

John

Ok...replaced the throttle and situation improved but still there only at cruise at 3/4 throttle...doesnt really do it at low speed or full throttle....mmm.....the cycle analyst also showed in one of the screens Amin -0.05 Amax 55.1 Vmin 63. Well, the -0.05 amps is interesting??...also as I said before the max this controller ha spulled was 65 amps in my trike..now it wont pull more than this?...any ideas?....maybe one blown fet?

John

Back