Delta Cycle Ebike rDrive 7 Speed - add throttle.

pr0wlunwoof

1 µW
Good Day.

Bought two of these for me and the wife. Looking to see how easy it would be to add a throttle controller. It has a WALk assist but only propels at 5mph. I am game for just about anything. I was going to build a few from old mountain bikes but couldnt pass on $499.

Hi pr0wlunwoof,
And welcome to the forum! :)

The link goes to a display. Detailed information on your controller, with wiring diagram would be most helpful. The more information the better. Just adding throttle if possible, or looking for new controller/ display?
Is any thing programmable that you know of?

Regards,
T.C.

That is still just a display. it's highly likley that the controller is hidden somewhere on teh bike, usually in the battery cradle or somewhere near it, for hubmotor bikes. Most controllers look like a small box with wires out of one end, often with heatsink fins, but some are different. For middrive bikes it's a custom thing inside the middrive.

FWIW, it is unlikely that if the bikes came complete, prebuilt (OEM) without a throttle, that they can have one added. You'd have to find the controller manual to see if it shows an option for a throttle; if it doesn't it probably doesn't have the ability.

If you're willing to risk damaging it, you can open up the controller and look for unused solder pads for a throttle wire set (5v, signal, ground; signal might be called SP, SD, or literally anything at all, or no labelling). It's not likely to be there, and even if it is, it may be disabled in the firmware so it can't be used.

It's likely that, assumign it's a hubmotor bike, not a middrive, that you can replace the controller and display with a new "kit".

If it's a middrive, it's possible (probable) that it will be difficult to replace the controller wiht something else--the sensors and such for pedal control (or torque) may not be standard and may only work with the original. Sometimes you can add a secondary one, but you might be left without those, and have only throttle control.

I have the carrier 4 from this site: COMPONENTS

The data sheet says it supports throttle and V1. I am guessing I just need a new pad. They have throttle pads.

According to Carrier 4's datasheet it does support a throttle, but has no connection/etc details, so you'll have to ask them which throttle to get for it and where to plug it in, to be certain that this is correct. (I'd also make sure with them which, if any, settings to change in the display setup menus).

CONTROLLER CARRIER 4 51100 DATASHEET BY PROMOVEC JAN. 2018, VS_1 Type Carrier 4
TESTS & SPECIFICATION
Motor code S07
IP IP54
Motor position Front / rear
Certifications CE / EN 15194
SPECIFICATIONS / REACH /ROHS
Voltage 36V
BATTERY INFORMATION
Power rating 250W
Battery type Carrier 4
Light output Yes
Battery communication Yes
Brake cut off support Yes
BB pedal sensor type Speed
OPTIONS Display protocol v1
Wheel size 26” (50974-1-26”)
Speed limit 25 km/t
Walk-assist Yes
DRIVING MODE Speed/ECO
Throttle function Yes
COMPATIBLE MOTORS 50742
WIRING Length:
Connector Battery connection Integrated
COMPATIBLE SENSORS 50960, 50920, 50587
Motor cable Integrated 9 pin circular
BB sensor cable Integrated 5 pin circular
COMPATIBLE DISPLAYS V1
Display cable Integrated V1
Brake cut off + light cable Integrated 3-pin circular
COMPATIBLE BATTERIES Carrier 4: 50640-BL, 50784-BL, 50642-BL 50639-BL

Attachments

• Datasheet-Carrier 4_LOGO2023.pdf
    184.9 KB · Views: 0
Good Day.

Bought two of these for me and the wife. Looking to see how easy it would be to add a throttle controller. It has a WALk assist but only propels at 5mph. I am game for just about anything. I was going to build a few from old mountain bikes but couldnt pass on $499.
Hi, not related to the info you're seeking, but I was wondering if you could let me know what the minimum seat height is on the R-Drive. I'm thinking about getting one for my sister but she's quite short and we've found that most e-bikes won't work out well for her. Thanks!

Back