Did I buy a fake 1000w motor?

kgff

1 W
I have a:
1)48v 500w 10A continous/ max 20A controller
2)Older 48v 500w motor
3)as an upgrade new 1000w 48v - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000009121810.html

-The 1000w is definitely weaker than the 500w in acceleration and speed(by up to 8-10 km/h)
-It is also more lightweight by 1KG
-It is less "bulky" in size

So I know it's not an exact science, but generally speaking, is it normal for 2X watts motor to be weaker than X watt motor when used with X watt controller ?
I would expect it to be at least slightly stronger, but never weaker! especially when it's weighs less!

BTW, I purchased a 1000w controller but it will take a few weeks to arrive..

If you are using the same controller, then there is no way to get more power out of a different motor.

If the new 1000w motor has a higher RPM per volt, then it's going to make less torque from the same current your controller provides.

You would have been much better off swapping to a more powerful controller (and perhaps battery) than switching your motor.

Balmorhea said:
If you are using the same controller, then there is no way to get more power out of a different motor.
so any motor above 500w would be weaker ?
If the new 1000w motor has a higher RPM per volt, then it's going to make less torque from the same current your controller provides.
If calculated it correctly the 500w reaches 72kph when when spinning in air(above the ground) which is 1500 rpm.
The 1000w reaches 65 kph(spinning in air), which is 1350 rpm(?) does it help understanding anything, what about this data from the item page?

You would have been much better off swapping to a more powerful controller (and perhaps battery) than switching your motor.
Can this data from the 1000w page help ? https://imgur.com/a/CrVdKQ8

thanks

kgff said:
I have a:
1)48v 500w 10A continous/ max 20A controller
2)Older 48v 500w motor
3)as an upgrade new 1000w 48v - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000009121810.html

-The 1000w is definitely weaker than the 500w in acceleration and speed(by up to 8-10 km/h)
You probably have a motor constant mismatch; the hub is probably designed for a higher speed than you are using it at, and thus are seeing less torque. What are the motor constants of the two hubs?

So I know it's not an exact science, but generally speaking, is it normal for 2X watts motor to be weaker than X watt motor when used with X watt controller ? would expect it to be at least slightly stronger, but never weaker! especially when it's weighs less!
With the same controller everything will depend on the motor constant. Slower motor constant? More torque; lower top speed. Faster motor constant? Less torque. Might be higher or lower top speed depending on what the curve looks like (the ebikes.ca motor simulator is great for this.)

kgff said:
Balmorhea said:
so any motor above 500w would be weaker ?
If calculated it correctly the 500w reaches 72kph when when spinning in air(above the ground) which is 1500 rpm.
The 1000w reaches 65 kph(spinning in air), which is 1350 rpm(?) does it help understanding anything, what about this data from the item page?

Can this data from the 1000w page help ? https://imgur.com/a/CrVdKQ8

thanks

Hub motors all have a fixed RPM per volt, depending on the model and stator winding, so a specific voltage with a specific wheel diameter implies a specific speed. 50% to 80% of that speed is the range you should operate in most of the time, for the best power and efficiency. But to move in that speed range requires a certain amount of power, which your motor may or may not have.

The motor listing shows it’s a 6” wheel for a nominally 10” tire. If that’s true, then its most efficient speed according to the chart (1024 RPM) translates to 30.5mph. That requires about 1200W of power for a regular sized man. But the motor only produces 848W of power at that speed, so the scooter won’t reach its most efficient speed except going downhill, or with a tailwind.

The motor produces 1077W of power maximum (on the performance chart, with what is probably a 25A controller), which translates to 26 mph. 26mph should require less than 800W, so the scooter should exceed this speed on flat ground.

Back