Dielectric Grease: how to apply it.

zacksc

100 W
I know this is not a novel topic and I have done some searching and reading*, but I feel like I am still not crispy clear on the best way to apply dielectric grease on different connectors.
For example, for a Z9 Higo over-molded connector, on the male part there are 9 pins, each with about 2 mm of insulation at the bottom. Do I apply the grease around the base of those pins, or up near the tips? Should I envision it sealing the large 8 mm diameter connection or sealing around the individual pins? Would you tend to use it very sparingly, or be pretty generous?
For Anderson and JST I am thinking that one would need to apply a lot to both metal and plastic parts, as AW explains below, focussing on the male side for a JST-sm. Is there a downside to applying too much?
The grease I plan to use is Ancor, dielectric silicone compound, ZZC946.

* "If it helps, the idea behind it is to completely seal out moisture from getting to any of the conductive surfaces or wires or contacts, so essentially "filling up" the connector's airspaces / airgaps is it's job.
If you have "overmolded" connectors like Higo, etc., then just the ends you plug together need it.
If you have "open" connectors like JST, Molex, Tamiya, Anderson, etc., it should go in the entire connector shell so the moisture can't get onto and corrode the crimp or solder area of the contact either, or get into the wire conductors and wick up the wire, corroding it from within.
It doesnt' have to be totally filled...just covering all the conductive surfaces and places water could get in there and sit."
-AW

There is no real down side of applying too much other than the mess. With something like a Higo, there is very little dead space so just a little will fill it. And they are very hard to take apart after that due to vacuum action. With a JST style, you need more. Just a thin film on the contacts will prevent corrosion but more will prevent bridging of the contacts by water, which can be an issue for something like a throttle connection.

fechter said:
With something like a Higo, there is very little dead space so just a little will fill it. And they are very hard to take apart after that due to vacuum action.

Shoot! I was hoping it would make my Z9 Higo easier to take apart. I am working on a set-up where I might need to disconnect the controller (baserunner) from the motor pretty often (everyday) and I was hoping the dielectric grease would make that easier by reducing friction. Maybe I need to rethink that. Is disconnecting a Z9 Higo everyday a bad plan?

Any amount is better than nothing. It will prevent oxidation on the pins and sockets, and it will make insertion and disconnection easier.

I agree with fechter, the only downside to using "too much" is the mess. I'd gob it on, insert connectors, and wipe off the excess. Whatever remains is the right amount...

Back