• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Disassembled Nissan Leaf battery - reeks of acetone...

adriftatsea

100 W
Hi.
So I just opened up a 2011 Nissan Leaf battery. Once the gasket was broken and the case opened, the entire area smelled strongly of acetone.

A cursory glance of Google (while waiting to drop dead of inhalation) shows this may be part of the electrolyte (ethyl acetate ... or acetone).

None of the pouches seem to be leaking, but I haven't braved the fumes to test any cells.

Is this normal when opening large, unvented, packs?

Yfpc6mP.jpg

I would say no, and that you discovered the reason the Nissan pack was taken out of the car. At least one cell has vented/leaked. Once you start testing cells, the dead one that vented should be obvious.

Most likely ruptured pouch.

Our noses can be just as effective as the best electronic test equipment when it comes to identifying problem Lithium based packs.

I always give RC Lipo a good sniff test and every once in a while discover that sickly sweet acetone solvent odor - dig down and find what’s causing it.

Thanks guys.

My first stop was to look for a MSDS sheet, which basically told me not to eat more than 2kg of the electrolytes, to wash skin off with water, and that the electrolyte can be sopped up with a shop towel.
http://www.findmymsds.com/nissan/pdfs/295B9-3NA9A-E.pdf

Working with the vendor I bought the pack from before I tear the pack down further. I had hoped it was just a case of batterys get smelly when locked in a box for 5 years.

Smelling that shit is no doubt bad but I also doubt small, infrequent sniffs will hurt someone any more than breathing the toxic shit pouring from tailpipes of ICE vehicles practically everywhere you go.

In this situation it’s possible there could be a non-rupture reason for the odor. Manufacture solvents, adhesives, insulation, etc., sealed up might be confused for pouch juice? But, I kinda doubt it…

The carbonate blends in the electrolyte of most lithium cells has a sweet odor not unlike maraschino cherries and methanol. If it smells just like acetone, it could be VOCs from adhesives that didn't get to leave the sealed case.

Either way, I would thoroughly inspect each module for signs of electrolyte leakage. Measuring to ensure a high isolation value between the cells to each cassette case can help trace leakage that isn't externally visible, but your nose can likely do fine as well.

Luke, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.

Any input on the relative health risks of spilled/vented cells indoors? Considering things like the 'Powerwall' and other solar storage banks are put in garages and such ... I'm wondering if I should dedicate a 'battery shed' or if it can safely share a mechanical room inside a 'building envelope'.

adriftatsea said:

Any input on the relative health risks of spilled/vented cells indoors? Considering things like the 'Powerwall' and other solar storage banks are put in garages and such ... I'm wondering if I should dedicate a 'battery shed' or if it can safely share a mechanical room inside a 'building envelope'.

It takes much more to make a quality 18650 vent/leak. I have not seen one in the nearly 20,000 used cells I've been through....

For what it's worth, I damaged a cell separating them over 2 years ago and it has been sitting alone inside one of the not used aluminum cell cans ever since. Occasionally I can get a slight whiff of that sweet cherry smell, and, being only 72 years old, my mind is evaporating pretty much at a normal rate. :roll: :lol:,

adriftatsea said:

A healthy pouch cell will maintain a hermetic seal and vent nothing human detectable for it's useful life (>15years if using modern premium quality materials).

When a cell leaks, it's because it either had internal factory mfg defects or impurities, or wasn't protected well enough from it's environment and sustained physical damage or chronic high temperature exposure, or was mis-managed with respect to SOC operation in a point which causes gas production (too high or too low etc).

Being an early Leaf pack, you are not going to be able to inspect individual cells without tearing open all the cans.
Better devise some very exhaustive tests to asses and locate any potential dealing cells.
Gas sniffers can be rented or bought ?
After the EVTV event, I would not place a suspect Leaf cell near an indoor storage area until thoroughly tested !

Hillhater said:
Being an early Leaf pack, you are not going to be able to inspect individual cells without tearing open all the cans.
Better devise some very exhaustive tests to asses and locate any potential dealing cells.
Gas sniffers can be rented or bought ?
After the EVTV event, I would not place a suspect Leaf cell near an indoor storage area until thoroughly tested !
What 'EVTV event' are you talking about. Could you please explain to newbie. :?:

Back