Display for Dabu controller ( pedego)

robb

10 W
Attempting to repair a friends Pedego electic bike. The Bigstone C500B display has gone. I have run the bike by shorting the power and data wires and then using the throttle. That all seems ok . It seems to lose power after a while on steep hill climbs and I wonder if that is because it is overheating or something to do with the data wires not returning continuous data to the controller through the display. I can't check whether the assistance level is altered or the wattage used without the display. I am totally ignorant on this. A Bigstone display is around £110 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...d16593743880318606e1315!12000018931335122!sea There is what seems to be an identical displays (probably clones)for around £35 on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334099545003?epid=22052460710&hash=item4dc9e27bab:g:ZWQAAOSwhTlhCO7k
Does anyone know if they are likely to work. The controller for the pedego is a Dapu JK5. The Dashi C500 (clone?) display says it is compatable with a lishui controller. Can they do any harm providing they are 5 wire and are connecting to the correct connections on the controller, ie battery wires , data wires and ground.

As long as the wiring and voltages on the wires are correct, then even an incompatible display wouldn't hurt or be hurt by use on the system.

If it's incompatible, it's typically because the data sent over tx/rx isn't in the right format or doesn't ahve the right information, not much you can do about that for most systems besides try "identical" displays until one works, or you run out of them to try. Even if it looks identical with teh same model info, etc., it may not work because of different revision firmware (like if the original has Dapu or Pedego OEM firmware, but none of the replacements do, etc).

Curiousity: What does the existing display do or not do that requires replacement? (sometimes it is not a display problem, but a controller problem, or wiring).

robb said:
Attempting to repair a friends Pedego electic bike. The Bigstone C500B display has gone. I have run the bike by shorting the power and data wires and then using the throttle. That all seems ok . It seems to lose power after a while on steep hill climbs and I wonder if that is because it is overheating or something to do with the data wires not returning continuous data to the controller through the display. I can't check whether the assistance level is altered or the wattage used without the display. I am totally ignorant on this. A Bigstone display is around £110 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...d16593743880318606e1315!12000018931335122!sea There is what seems to be an identical displays (probably clones)for around £35 on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334099545003?epid=22052460710&hash=item4dc9e27bab:g:ZWQAAOSwhTlhCO7k
Does anyone know if they are likely to work. The controller for the pedego is a Dapu JK5. The Dashi C500 (clone?) display says it is compatable with a lishui controller. Can they do any harm providing they are 5 wire and are connecting to the correct connections on the controller, ie battery wires , data wires and ground.

Thanks for quick reply. Display doesn't do anything. It wouldn't switch on and had a big black blob across the one half. I will ask the owner if he knows how that happened. He just knew i tinkered with electric bikes and asked if I could have a look.

black blobs on LCDs usually indicate a leak in the glass for the liquid crystal itself, fully polarizing that area, usually meaning it was broken; impact damage could've cause other problems in it too. (and elsewhere on the bike, such as cables, connectors, etc., if it is because of a crash or a fall)

Sometimes it means something (power regulator, main IC chip, etc) behind it got so hot that it damaged the polarizing material of the LCD or the liquid, and that usually means the electronics are dead. This sort of thing can just randomly happen from poor design or quality of components, or from a wiring fault or water intrusion letting a high voltage connect to a low voltage part, etc.

robb said:
Thanks for quick reply. Display doesn't do anything. It wouldn't switch on and had a big black blob across the one half. I will ask the owner if he knows how that happened. He just knew i tinkered with electric bikes and asked if I could have a look.

Back