DIY BAFANG builds with torque sensor? based on 2024 workbook

I watched the video where it seemed to work with a standard battery on the bench test but I have not seen one on a bike in motion like that. I'd love to see a real world riding test. But no programming ability? So, we'd be stuck with whatever firmware that comes with it forever? Unless someone comes up with a programmer that can connect via canbus? Bt even that might not be possible if they have it all locked down.
We could probably use old controller with updated firmware 😄. Win win

Hey guys,

I was just checking bafang workbook for 2024.
https://bafang-e.com/Uploaded/Labels/202308100327283621.pdf

There are few things that I noticed:

View attachment 343660

Does anybody know anything about this M435 and M635 motors? Do they really have torque sensor?
It could be a more robust alternative to TSDZ2 (mine runs fine after 1.5years and 4000km, knocks on wood)

And also:

View attachment 343662

If thease sensors actually have torque sensing, that would mean that rear hub motors with torque sensing are possible?
Does anybody have any experiense with these?
I have bafang H600 that uses that torque sensor. It is great feeling!! As good as bosch cx. You dont notice that you are on ebike.. so natural

Does anyone know will you be able to squeeze out maximum power for a 52v battery x 30amps with this controller? Eg under throttle?

I wonder if there is a speed limit cutoff?
Would be great if Johnny Nerdout would show it actually working not just turning on with generic battery.

To me this looks like the gold standard of retrofit motors

It's been a decade and as many BBSxx motors. And "frankly my dear, I could give a damn.."

For anyone still waiting JohnnyNerdOut still says his motors are still a few weeks out but he believes he will have a review video on the m635 possibly in a week

Looks like Bafang M635 also might have thermal sensor buried in the windings according to the GoldenMotor M625 teardown video.

Shame went for BBSHD 6 months ago since torque sensor might work better during prolonged headwinds to reduce thumb fatigue (disabled the BBSHD cadence sensor completely since it developed intermittent fault while also reducing the need to remember to turn down the PAS level to avoid unexpected acceleration).

Throttle with high chainring RPM still stays as the best option for 17% hills during long distance commuting while using leg power only on the flats.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we still don't really know if these are really going to work with legacy batteries and if the canbus thing will make programming impossible. If they leave it open for users to do what we want they'll sell a zillion of these and many old diehard PAS guys will flip to torque as soon as possible. But if they don't, then not, and we'll have to keep looking at the alternatives.

Unfortunately we still don't really know if these are really going to work with legacy batteries and if the canbus thing will make programming impossible. If they leave it open for users to do what we want they'll sell a zillion of these and many old diehard PAS guys will flip to torque as soon as possible. But if they don't, then not, and we'll have to keep looking at the alternatives.
According to YouTube user Jack Butler BBSHD still remains the most easily serviceable motor compared to BBS02. Not sure about Toseven yet. I guess M635 might be similar to BBSHD in terms of serviceability except some specific spare parts such as torque sensor might not be available yet.

I am more concerned with operation and ability to program than serviceability, which I assume will be good.

According to YouTube user Jack Butler BBSHD still remains the most easily serviceable motor compared to BBS02. Not sure about Toseven yet. I guess M635 might be similar to BBSHD in terms of serviceability except some specific spare parts such as torque sensor might not be available yet.

I am more concerned with operation and ability to program than serviceability, which I assume will be good.
Well we do know it will be canbus but bafang has been pushing bluetooth displays and apps with their other new m series motors, I wouldn't be surprised if they allow you to access a lot of the familiar settings in one of those apps

I have bafang H600 that uses that torque sensor. It is great feeling!! As good as bosch cx. You dont notice that you are on ebike.. so natural
Agreed, torque sensor is great mainly for technical offroad riding. For long distance commuting alternating between throttle and high intensity pure leg power might be better to reduce fast twitch muscle atrophy compared to being locked in with lower intensity endurance work provided by torque sensor.

Some discussion starts around 21:00

TDLR: Johnny tested the M635 out with a non-smile battery. Overall he didn't feel the torque sensor feel was that good, and even said he couldn't even really tell if it was working stating it just felt like a cadence sensor. He did film a video which he said he plans to post on Saturday a week and a half from now (Feb 3rd?). So we still don't know for sure if the idea that the torque sensor only works with a "smile" battery is true. The display has a lot of settings but he doesn't know what any of the settings do so he didn't mess with them. Later in the stream a viewer called in who also bought one and said he maxed the settings on the display and the feel was a lot better. Personally this is a huge disappointment as I've kept up with bafangs others torque sensing motors like the m510 and m820 and a lot of people really enjoy the "feel" of those so I'm surprised to hear how bad the m635 felt. Johnny did state his is a pre production model so maybe hes just has old firmware?

Also want to note he did test the app, specifically the bafang "Go" app which is the older app that doesn't really have any settings. I was hopeful the included display would work with the "Go+" because this app has a lot more settings, almost like the pc software to change settings on the bbshd. But Johnny said he couldn't get it to work. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the display they sent along with the motor doesn't support the newest app. As it requires bluetooth 5.1 support which only a few of their display do that I know of and I know people have had a hard time getting their hands on them and just very recently within the past few months bafang suppliers have started sending them out in small batches.

Yeah this is interesting stuff. Curious to see where this goes. Starting a new build and probably going HD but I'll be curious if the M635 works with prior displays (Eggrider etc.) and/or programming settings. Could be very neat if you can set one PAS level to cadence sensing and another to torque sensing. E.g. ride cadence-sensing to get to the place and once you get there, switch to torque-sensing for the fun/feedback

Back