DIY EV project: An E-Surfboard to catch waves!

Dont know how much, or even if this will help, but I was sitting on the Santa Monica pier a while back and wondering if an air system might work better then electric?

so heres the idea:

4 or 5 carbon fiber tubes embedded in the board, each holding enough compressed air to "paddle out" one time.
an air drill motor connected to whatever drive system seems to be "winning" from this discussion.
a compressor unit on the shore to fill.

My thinking is it would be lighter then batteries, and the carbon air tubes would add strength to the board

I am not a surfer so It could be just another hair brained idea, but who knows right? :)

cashflow said:
Hi Mr Mik,
Have you produced a motor for a surfboard yet?
I think its a great idea for longboards and all us "older" surfers
Nick
No, but the flame has been rekindled a few weeks back during a holiday in Fiji, Hideaways.
I got my first surf sessions in two years in, and learned that part of the shoulder muscles do not get trained much by just push ups and pull ups. After my first surf (and the paddle back in against the rip through the reef) my shoulders felt like someone had punched me repeatedly and very hard! It took days to get better, and it's the part of the shoulder muscle that lifts the arm out of the water that was in poorest shape.

I managed to catch a few nice waves and am hooked again!

If I manage to start making some money out of selling some EV related stuff, then I might be able to sink some money into developing that E-surfboard.

I'm now thinking solar panels glassed into the surface, capable of charging the glassed in batteries within 6 hrs of sunlight or so, providing power to catch, say, 3 big waves.

No charger needed to travel, just let it lie in the sun between surf sessions!

Just some random thoughts...I love the glassed in solar-PV panels for charging a sealed internal battery pack. Consider a magnet sleeve over your finger to activate an imbedded hall-sensor to signal an on/off relay. Perhaps an RF transmitter like a tiny garage door opener enclosed on the back of a neoprene glove?

Most surfers (I'm told) need a burst of speed when they are trying to catch the wave, and once they are gliding along, they are often seem dragging their hand in the water to control their speed and stay in the optimum position. Of course some will want to use power for the return trip...

Because of the need to walk around the top of the board (and also the solar-PV) you would NOT want the motor/impellor bump on top, but rather on the bottom. If the proper size of impellor for the thrust you want was simply too fat, a more expensive option would be to use two smaller impellors. Since small motors are very expensive, I would assume a plastic gearbox with one-input/two-outputs would be cheaper than two motors.

Sounds like an expensive "early adopter" toy, but I'm sure theres a market for a few thousand of these. Form an LLC in case you are sued. Or just sell plans, you'd be suprised how many parts lists and assembly DVD's you'd sell.

You should get together with Anthony Brock have a look at his project at: http://www.foamez.com/byob/
Have you thought of approaching the companies that already manufacture powered surfboards? (see Aropec Sports & Powerski International)They may be willing to assist with some R&D.
Good luck

I was interested to see one of the turbines selected for large scale testing in the Bay of Fundy... looking like this:
View attachment FundyTurbine_2009.jpg

My guess is, the blades part of the system incorporate magnets and the coils are enclosed in the housing... Not sure if they would be employing rare-earth PMs in something that size...

But scaled down? With a "kort nozzel" turbine w/fins w/magnets driven by magnetic flux from the housing? Maybe? If the fins could be jointed to fold parallel to water flow when not energized, then flip to drive mode (w/angle of attack/lift) when power is appied? Anyway, all about isolating electrics from the salt water!

G'Luck
llOck

Hi Mr Mik,

An ingenious idea - strangely I had thoughts of a similar beast - it may be that current (no pun intended!) battery and motor technology could make this feasible.
Did you ever do any experiments along these lines? ( I suspect that only the prop could be mounted in the 'tunnel' ). A low powered 'trolling' motor has a torpedo shaped housing (generally with open propellor) which may be suitable just ahead of the tunnel. Or the motor could be set inside the board, with a small belt drive operating inside the fin. Motors are now made about 'D' size batteries (35 mm dia, 60mm long), giving 1000 watts output, may need cooling, of course.
Plenty of engineering challenges !

I guess there has been a lot of development on this now, but i just wanted to add that anyone building something like this would be well advised to go with the "Jet drive" principle (impeller in a tunnel ...not just a shrouded propeller ) as their performance characteristics are better suited i believe.
The "Jet" drive produces much more thrust at low speeds than a prop, giving better acceleration as well as having the advantages of less drag when not driving, and of course much safer with arms and legs etc around !

I dont see how surfing "purists" would be against this, since some of them rely on jet ski's to tow them out and onto waves already!

comments from the SUP'ers

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=10049.0

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=10023.0

motorSUP.jpg

Impressive video, but, the board looked like it handled like a bus. I occasionally drag out my longy (9'6"), but, much prefer my 7'2", put that setup in a 6'6" to 7'6" and i'll buy one.

I've been a surfer all my life, so I'm subscribing to this thread. I also had the Turbo Tunnel fin and wasn't all that impressed with it. It works, though, but makes it hard to release the rail (which is the point).

My current favorite board (which is the best longboard ever) is a 10,0 and I dig it.

Have you considered an SUP but putting some kind of electric motor on the paddle? That would be cool (if it could be kept safe, bouyant and waterproof).

That way the board isn't affected.

I also have an idea to build a recessed seatback into the center of a longboard so that it can paddle like a kayak, using a kayak paddle (which is much faster than paddling like a canoe as the SUP guys do. You could paddle hard and fast, getting into the wave early. Then, with a little practice, you could get good at jumping to your feet and the seatback would be spring activated and fold back into the board and become flush to the deck. Then, you could surf while holding the very light (and smaller) kayak paddle.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's an idea.

The other thing is that you need some kind of foot braces.

MikeFairbanks said:
I also have an idea to build a recessed seatback into the center of a longboard so that it can paddle like a kayak, using a kayak paddle (which is much faster than paddling like a canoe as the SUP guys do. You could paddle hard and fast, getting into the wave early. Then, with a little practice, you could get good at jumping to your feet and the seatback would be spring activated and fold back into the board and become flush to the deck. Then, you could surf while holding the very light (and smaller) kayak paddle.

Why do you need a seat back ?..sounds a lot like a surf ski ( wave ski, paddle ski, etc) ..without the seat belt :wink:

Hillhater said:
MikeFairbanks said:

Why do you need a seat back ?..sounds a lot like a surf ski ( wave ski, paddle ski, etc) ..without the seat belt :wink:

Well, you have to have something for resistence. You can't just sit on the board and paddle because your butt will slide. Essentially you need your butt and feet to be well planted so that you can push the water with your kayak paddle. Otherwise you might end up feeling as if you are trying to swim in outer space (In space, if you tried to swim you wouldn't be able to go anywhere).

The waveskis have a recessed area for the butt and straps for the feet:

wave-ski-slide-super.jpg

So do the Surfskis:

1409085.jpg

The problem, however, with recessed areas and straps on a surfboard is that they get in the way. When surfing you hardly ever look at your feet, even on a longboard. You watch where you're going. So you need a deck without obstacles.

what you need is a super light hand held version of this.
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/stump-jumper/boats-motors-4-stroke-out-board-motors-6-5-hp-br-for-shallow-water-22107-52745.html

Back