DIY heated grips

Zambam

1 kW
Anyone tried DIY heated grips? This link Heated Motorcycle Grips | Shop the Best Heated Handlebar Grips Today! - Cycle Gear has them from $45 to $260. The cheapest $45 Trackside grip heaters is made with the same concept as these inexpensive ones from Aliexpress.

Shipping was 5x the price. I did a quick test. Ran them on a 2 A USB charger and measured 160 F surface temp with a thermocouple. Resistance is 7.5 to 8 ohms per heater. Will install them on my ebike by wrapping over it with self fusing silicone tape and see how well they work. No 5V on my ebike but have 12V. Will wire them in series and run it on 12V, get a little more heat. Hope they don't burn out.

Anyone tried DIY heated grips? This link Heated Motorcycle Grips | Shop the Best Heated Handlebar Grips Today! - Cycle Gear has them from $45 to $260. The cheapest $45 Trackside grip heaters is made with the same concept as these inexpensive ones from Aliexpress.

Shipping was 5x the price. I did a quick test. Ran them on a 2 A USB charger and measured 160 F surface temp with a thermocouple. Resistance is 7.5 to 8 ohms per heater. Will install them on my ebike by wrapping over it with self fusing silicone tape and see how well they work. No 5V on my ebike but have 12V. Will wire them in series and run it on 12V, get a little more heat. Hope they don't burn out.
You could do it the dangerous way and wrap some wire inside the handlebar grips until the resistance is high enough that you get some heat without drawing too much current or melting anything. Would probably want to add a thermal fuse or breaker to it

I used the Trackside type on motorcycles for years. I didn't care much for the switch (not sealed and fragile) and dropped it. and added a more sturdy on/off switch. I only wrapped tape around the H.bars (I'm not sure wrapping the grids is a good idea).
On 12V they will provide plenty of heat, in fact, on an ebike I would think too much.
I found that rather than messing w/ different Voltages, tape insulation, etc., it's easier to tailor them w/ grip selection. The material of the grips makes a big difference.
I sort of remember trimming the grids at one point, but can't remember if is was for better fitment or they produced too much heat. Probably the latter.

I used the Trackside type on motorcycles for years. I didn't care much for the switch (not sealed and fragile) and dropped it. and added a more sturdy on/off switch. I only wrapped tape around the H.bars (I'm not sure wrapping the grids is a good idea).
On 12V they will provide plenty of heat, in fact, on an ebike I would think too much.
I found that rather than messing w/ different Voltages, tape insulation, etc., it's easier to tailor them w/ grip selection. The material of the grips makes a big difference.
I sort of remember trimming the grids at one point, but can't remember if is was for better fitment or they produced too much heat. Probably the latter.
What kind of grips did you use over the Trackside? Did you insulate the handle bar before the installing the Trackside to prevent heat loss to the aluminum handle bar? I don't see how I can install the Trackside under my present grips, they are on so tight it takes a lot of work to get them off and back on. Installing the Trackside under it would destroy them (the Trackside).

Last edited:
What kind of grips did you use over the Trackside? Did you insulate the handle bar before the installing the Trackside to prevent heat loss the the aluminum handle bar? I don't see how I can install the Trackside under my present grips, they are on so tight it takes a lot of work to get them off and back on. Installing the Trackside under it would destroy them (the Trackside).
All the "liner grid-types" are all the same.
I wrapped the h.bars w/ one layer of blk elecrtical tape because it best to protect the grids, not sure if it was needed.
I used foam grips like Grab-Ons, soaked in water to get them on, not hard, only need care needed was to not stress the wires.

Quickly installed my $6 Aliexpress USB glove heaters over the existing grips with clear silicone self fusing tape. They are 7.5 ohms per heater. On 5V they put out 3.3 watt. I do not have 5 V on my ebike and have them temporarily wired with alligator clips to 12V supply to my cell phone charger. It's drawing 2.6 A per clamp ammeter which is 31.2 watts (15.6 watt per grip). It's too hot, I cannot keep my bare hands on them. Maybe with gloves they will be ok? Another option is wire them in series which will put out 9.6 watt (4.8 watt per grip) and see if it's hot enough. If not may have to get an adjustable voltage DC/ DC converter.

IMG_2882.jpegIMG_2884.jpeg

This morning, with thin gloves on, I was able to keep my hands on the grip heaters comfortably. With bare hands, it was too hot. I also tried wiring the grip heaters in series, which drew 0.7 A which is 8.4 watt (4.2 watt per grip). It would be great if I can come up with a multi positions switch for hi (parallel), lo (series) and off to switch the 2 heaters. Any of you EE wizards want to take a crack at drawing up a wiring diagram?

On hi, it would be good for real cold days, lo would be good for cool days. Using a switch would eliminate the need for an adjustable voltage/ current buck converter.

I have not been able to road test the heated grips till today, when I took a 5 mile ride. The dpdt 3 position switch is enroute from aliexpress so still using alligator clips. Started with parallel (15 watt per grip). Within a block or 2 the grips became uncomfortably warm (with medium gloves on about 1/8" thick). So I rearranged the wires to series (4 watt per grip) and it became nice and comfortable. It was around 50 F out so I still need to test it when it's much colder. I think the parallel would be good starting out to quickly warm up the cold grips, then switch to series.

I bought new grips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T8TGS1W/?coliid=I31I15V7C7HD0O&colid=2V7CZPZXQIOOG&ref_ to replace the current grips which slowly rotates out of position even though they are on very tight. It's some kind of sticky rubber (silicone?) that fits very tight on the handlebar. Took me 10 minutes slowly twisting/ wrestling them off and built up a sweat. Real PITA.

The new grips have a hard plastic inner sleeve which easily slide over the handlebar, the clearance still does not allow fitting the grip heater under it. So I am installing them the same way, over the grips but with black silicone tape so the white heaters do not stick out like a sore thumb.

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2932.jpeg

I tried the heaters in parallel again. They get really hot- too hot! I am worried it may melt the rubber on the grips. In series, they take a minute or 2 to warm up the grips. With my windproof well insulated pogies, series is sufficient. Since aliexpress has not shipped my 3 position switches yet, I was able to cancel the order. I will just use a spst switch which I have plenty of. Less wiring!

Did a temperature measurement with thermocouple inside one of the pogies this AM. It was about 35 F out. After about 15 minutes with the grip heaters on, the air temp inside the pogie went up to to 72 F.

The trick to installing and removing slip on grips is alcohol, I slip a long syringe needed under the grip and inject some in if I want to keep the grip intact (IE not just cutting it off) and of course installation just spray them down. Compressed air also works.
I did read about the trick with compressed air and alcohol but did not want to get alcohol all over my hands and didn't have a syringe or compressed air handy. Still wondering how people can install grip heaters under the grip. It's not possible to do that with the grips that I have w/o destroying the heaters.

Still wondering how people can install grip heaters under the grip. It's not possible to do that with the grips that I have w/o destroying the heaters.
Most all grips are a tight fit to the handlebars, even the clamping ones.

I bet you can use a round file or rat-tail file to hollow out enough space in these cork ones to fit your heaters without damaging them (DISCLAIMER: I used to ride a Grant Petersen-inspired Bridgestone):

OR: (as you are not afraid of DIY-ing on your own) try wrapping some felt and bar tape around your heaters for a custom project:

Details:

I bought new grips Amazon.com to replace the current grips which slowly rotates out of position even though they are on very tight. It's some kind of sticky rubber (silicone?) that fits very tight on the handlebar. Took me 10 minutes slowly twisting/ wrestling them off and built up a sweat. Real PITA.

The new grips have a hard plastic inner sleeve which easily slide over the handlebar, the clearance still does not allow fitting the grip heater under it. So I am installing them the same way, over the grips but with black silicone tape so the white heaters do not stick out like a sore thumb.

View attachment 344627

View attachment 344628

View attachment 344629
I'm not following your installation approch, who wants a handfull of black tape?
I think my suggestion of using foam grips is the way to go.

I'm not following your installation approch, who wants a handfull of black tape?
I think my suggestion of using foam grips is the way to go.
That's not electrical adhesive tape which would melt and make a sticky mess. It's high temp self fusing silicone tape. Same as the clear stuff I used earlier. It's quick and easy to install and can handle the heat (good up to 500 F). So you don't like the look of it? I think it's perfect for the job, works great and is wrapped like bicycle bar tape. Maybe I could have don a neater job. If the heater was wrapped around the handle bar then the foam grip over it, I'm not sure if it would heat the hands as efficiently since the aluminum handle bar would dissipate some of the heat away.

Still don't know exactly which foam grip you are talking about and how to install it. You said you used Grab-ons and used water? Is there a video showing how it's done? My heaters has a cloth outer layer. Not sure if getting it wet is a good idea since it could delaminate.

I have heated grips in my bike also. Grips are actually bought and they are not diy, but they control is diy. I use arduino to control those. I have 5 different steps and i can choose between those by pressing button which is located under (inside) my stem. I need to keep it pressed so it slowly goes through all 5 steps. And when i am in step i want to use, i just let go off that button.

I have rgb led in my bike power button, and it show those steps. (blue is step one, green is step 3 and, yellow is step 4, red is step 5 etc. So those goes from cold to warmer colors ). Highest step is about 40W.

There is little video about it

I have also android app, so i can change grip settings / steps there also. And there i can see grip temp and also battery temp, and set battery heating settings, and many more settings that my bike arduino is controlling.

Screenshot_2023-12-26-00-12-49-17_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Last edited:
I have heated grips in my bike also. Grips are actually bought and they are not diy, but they control is diy. I use arduino to control those. I have 5 different steps and i can choose between those by pressing button which is located under (inside) my stem. I need to keep it pressed so it slowly goes through all 5 steps. And when i am in step i want to use, i just let go off that button.

I have rgb led in my bike power button, and it show those steps. (blue is step one, green is step 3 and, yellow is step 4, red is step 5 etc. So those goes from cold to warmer colors ). Highest step is about 40W.

There is little video about it

I have also android app, so i can change grip settings / steps there also. And there i can see grip temp and also battery temp, and set battery heating settings, and many more settings that my bike arduino is controlling.

View attachment 344962
Hot setup and nice work! Is that 40 W per grip or 20 each? In parallel, I measured 15 W per grip on mine and it was too hot wearing medium gloves. What temperature setting do you normally use and what kind of gloves do you wear? Do you have pogies over the grips also?

Hot setup and nice work! Is that 40 W per grip or 20 each? In parallel, I measured 15 W per grip on mine and it was too hot wearing medium gloves. What temperature setting do you normally use and what kind of gloves do you wear? Do you have pogies over the grips also?
40w is total, so 20w each. In winter i normally use settings 3-5. Other times, like in fall / spring etc, i use also settings 1-2, if i ride without any gloves. And no, i don't have pogies. I use these kind reflective winter gloves.

21-815_xl_1.jpg

Back