DIY Super Capacitors, and Robert Murray-Smith

amberwolf said:
No, 278Wh would take at least a quarter of an hour (closer to 20-30 minutes, actually, due to current falling off as voltage increases) on a 1kW charger (278Wh / 1000W = 0.278h)

Yeah no idea why I said under 5 minutes, it’s clearly 15+ like you said.

amberwolf said:
No, it's still the same wh/L, because it's at 1/10 the voltage (Ah * V = Wh)

Maybe I’m mistaken here, but wouldn’t a 10 parallel arrangement make 10,000F at 1.8v, which would be more than a 10 series arrangement making 100F at 18v?

The reason being capacitors in series do not contribute to energy storage, unlike batteries. But it parallel they wouldn’t suffer this problem correct?

If that’s correct there seems to be a massive penalty for putting capacitors in series, and would make way more sense to simply convert the voltage, even if it’s fairly inefficient. It wouldn’t be more inefficient than putting 10 capacitors to get 1 capacitor worth of storage. I’m no expect so feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken.

But 100 x 18 = 1800, while 10,000 x 1.8 = 18,000. What am I missing here? Anyway I should probably save further general capacitor questions for a different thread so I don’t clutter this one up.

My mistake, the formula for a single capacitor is capacity times the *square* of the voltage. :oops: I'm not really a math guy.

Just remember--however you do the math, or arrangement of caps, you won't get more energy one way than the other. There *are* advantages of one vs the other, depending on what you're doing with them, but that isnt' one of them.

The actual math is shown under "Total Energy of Series vs. Parallel" on this page:
https://www.coilgun.info/theorycapacitors/capacitors2.htm
Total Energy of Series vs. Parallel

Let's see whether a series or parallel circuit can store more total energy.

Recall that energy in a single capacitor is proportional to the square of the voltage. It is tempting to use series capacitors to gain an energy boost by using 'voltage squared' to our advantage. But let's take a closer look...

Assume you have two identical capacitors, of capacitance C and voltage rating V. (The capacitors wouldn't have to be identical but the results are valid for the general case, and the math is much easier this way.) Let's calculate stored energy E for both circuits.

Stored energy in two parallel capacitors, charged to voltage V:
Energy is C times V squared
View attachment 1
Stored energy in two series capacitors, charged to voltage 2V:
Energy is again C times V squared

There is no difference! Both circuits store the same amount of energy. This should confirm a common-sense approach, that would say you can't increase total energy storage merely by reconnecting the same capacitors in different arrangements.

Back on topic, he is running a testing procedure run by you lmao contact him run test and verify the results back with him after you have paid to purchase the cap under test and gave your time for free for months of testing, When I mentioned where's the incentive he said I guess you won't be testing mate and I purely pointed out that most manufacturer will test their own items not try and get people off YouTube like Julian llett banggood special to give him more views than the 1k or so he averages at best and he's correct I won't be testing.

After all this time on YouTube as fwg the powerblade he had investment in, like previously mentioned a road trip that he returned investors money's or so the video says and he has been selling a diy cap pack easy enough to make at home that has no worth as a true power device other than spinning his toy motors under no load, I'd be pissed if I payed any money to this guy I'm gonna dig a little deeper on this FWG brand he has and see what's going on as it's been launching for over two years now with little traction seen from myself and heard so much nonsense about nuclear reactors he can make etc but if he can solve all these issues I'm sure he would have alot more attention than he is getting other than that from nut jobs or people trying to work him out and all I can say is I don't be part of his latest scam to take your money and time to give him results for nothing back in return lots of people showed willing on his video to pay and test but clearly they are idiots too.

It moved to batterys for a period of time and a scooter battery/cap was made from many sheets of paper that was to be reported on but ALL the projects go quite even his conductive paint that is a paintable radiator proves to be highly inefficient use of energy compared to traditional heating systems AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE until he can show his own results with a reliable product tested ready for market or theres a big risk you will lose your money and time to another lost project.

I joined this group just to read and reply to this thread.

I check in on FWG on Youtube once in a while as I find him interesting. I often find his claims a little out there and feel like he is playing on the uneducated (which I am in this feild)

A few days ago I saw that he is merging with company, Eestor, to help get his products to market (he has actual products besides mugs?)

Eestor has a history of failed EV's and outlandish claims about their polymer capacitors and like to reference a patent that is pretty much nothing according to one of the holders of the patent.

Eestor paid RMS 46,000,000 Shares (~$2Million) to FWG merge from a press release that I see.

Very interesting news, I beleive he is going to do a round of big investment then fail to deliver a product thats described.

He has managed it on a small scale so he is becoming more greedy it's obvious what he is upto, I pointed out to him in the past he is a scam and he was very defensive I said try get investment from the Norwegian fund and he went dead quite as he knew I was on to him, it's what he got planned to build a fake image get investment based on a company valuation over 2 million that's never really delivered anything and then bingo your investable to the silly bank hedge schemes that are desperate to gamble on anything that looks attractive in paper and build on a fake image that inevitably collapses.

Watch him scream from the roof tops he has something special with this merger but he can't show a working prototype as it's too dangerous it will be ripped off shame people can't see he is the scam.

The guy has some beauty videos in his past where he claims he can save the world with thoruim seems a modern age hippy crusader that wants to make a buck from his gained university knowledge but can only piss about with scalextrix motors and conductive paint, wow it has a resistance that can be taken advantage of to create heat lol, then he goes and paints it on a wall to then lose that heat into the wall rather than a floating panel to heat the surrounding air just crazy really I've seen him compressing a capacitor stack with energy in there one short and that stack will blow to bits so I don't trust he will be the next big thing other than in the news when he flops and takes people with him but ends up looking sweet for cash coin himself stashed away in offshore accounts.

Back