DIY Trampa long 35 E-MTB | Dual VESC | Sensored EMAX GT5345

whitepony said:
ahaha, cool :D

I read you killed your vesc in the living room (enertion forums or so?). you probably went like full throttle break, repeat. you should check the live monitor of your vesc and watch the voltage. I had a similar problem with a loop key (yet unresolved), where I would induce large spikes against the current flow (full throttle -> voltage sags, full brake -> voltage spikes). i think thats how I killed my vescs, might be useful to check the cable lengths, loops for unnecessary inductances!

Thanks, I'll do more tests when I'll put everything back together, I see my VESCs have just been sent. The VESC and mosfet switch blew up when I changed direction of movement and the board was still going in the other one, after few such changes, no load on board. Even if there was too large inductance, battery cables are as short as they can, there is no way to shorten them. Well I hope I don't f*** up this time :D

IT'S ALLIIIIVEEEEEE! Received VESCs from @chaka yesterday. Today I made myself one of the best birthday gifts ever ;) Trampa is up and running again!

WQRKkmIh.jpg

gIUGhqgh.jpg

hyMubFAh.jpg

84ohIuxh.jpg

ugFoD9uh.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFZbvOQMJ0U/?taken-by=skladowski

okp said:
great ! happy birthday mate. Your board looks awesome. This is a beast.
Thanks okp!

"LET THERE BE LIGHT!
...THERE WAS LIGHT"

lgTAwbwh.jpg

And here is my new charging set up, the best thing is the PSU cost me arround 50$ (1200W):

0XXermyh.jpg

I just came back from 14km long ride, I charged each cell to 4.18V, and after this distance I finished with 45.5V on a display so arround 3.8V per cell. Max reached speed 66.6km/h :twisted: ...decent stats :D

Hi,

just recently i came across the e-toxx-trampa.mosters.

I'd love to build on by myself, now i kind of got addicted about the thought riding to work trough the forest on that thing.

@ squad

your trampa is awsome beautiful, man, i hope the VESC troubles get solved, cause thats something i also know, quite well.

did you mill everything by hand and scetching, or do you actually have some cad-data about the etoxx parts.
And? would you be willing to share those cad-data ?

thanks in advance
Notger

Thanks man! I milled everything by hand, and have some sketches I made. Chaka from ollinboardco is super helpfull and his VESC customer care service is the best! He took care of my burned one and I recently send him another VESC this time with probably DRV chip failure (probably caused by FOC). If You're interested send me PM with You email and I'll send You my sketches, but please keep in mind I strongly based my desing on Jenso idea.

Noice!! work..
Hows the diode-mosfet.. solution working?? - I have an ebike with reduction and pedaling turns the motor
(1 crank rotation = +30 motor rotations) .. possibly without proper settings ..
this provides too many ways to toast an VESC. (V5 cant wait)
- I have only use VESC for BLDC control.. no FOC or braking.. but hybrid mode sounds interesting.. Is this the same as .. : BLDC for start from a stop and FOC when cruising idea ?
- I plug battery into a wattmeter before connecting to VESC on 40Volts.. no sparks.. but the idea is pre-charge the caps for a battery over +40Volts..
- Teeth wear and chain stretch ?? - i see chain does not wrap around half the motor sprocket
- how many amps pulling on flat to get to 20km/h, 30,40,50 ??
- 30Ah for 14km`s ??
- 2 speed possible ??

I damaged my VESC in two different ways...toasted 3-wire throttle on UART connector - spun motor-generator without any battery connected on source..
and then I uploaded VESC FW on older HW (4.7)
all it took was a gentle push of the arrow key in BLDC tool and DRV failure.. :(
(looking for replacement to ship express to Canada)

myzter said:
Noice!! work..
Hows the diode-mosfet.. solution working?? - I have an ebike with reduction and pedaling turns the motor
(1 crank rotation = +30 motor rotations) .. possibly without proper settings ..
this provides too many ways to toast an VESC. (V5 cant wait)
- I have only use VESC for BLDC control.. no FOC or braking.. but hybrid mode sounds interesting.. Is this the same as .. : BLDC for start from a stop and FOC when cruising idea ?
- I plug battery into a wattmeter before connecting to VESC on 40Volts.. no sparks.. but the idea is pre-charge the caps for a battery over +40Volts..
- Teeth wear and chain stretch ?? - i see chain does not wrap around half the motor sprocket
- how many amps pulling on flat to get to 20km/h, 30,40,50 ??
- 30Ah for 14km`s ??
- 2 speed possible ??

I damaged my VESC in two different ways...toasted 3-wire throttle on UART connector - spun motor-generator without any battery connected on source..
and then I uploaded VESC FW on older HW (4.7)
all it took was a gentle push of the arrow key in BLDC tool and DRV failure.. :(
(looking for replacement to ship express to Canada)

Thanks! Later I realized that there is an internal 200A diode in the mosfet... (as in most mosfets on the market, it's hard to get one without it), the e-switch itself works flawless, mosfet blew up just because VESC failed first and caused short in the circuit.

Hybrid mode means that until Your motor hits set electric RPM limit it's controlled in sensored mode (which requires obviously sensored motor) and then switches to sensorless comutation, so You get best of both, high torque with no cogging at startup and efficiency of sensorless operation at high erpm.

Motor sprockets teets show some wear but nothing tragic, chains seem to hold on decently too.

Can't give You any specific values of amp draw at certain speeds as I did not memorize it, but I don't remember this value to exceed 160A while climbing offroad REALLY steep hill. Normally while cruising it's arround 20-40A.

"- 30Ah for 14km`s ??" I suppose You meant 14 Ah for range of 30 km? If so it's totally possible, maybe even a little bit more.

and last one confuses me a bit, You mean to something like transmission? I guess it's too complex for what You really need, and electric motors usually don't need one as they can provide high torque from the start.
Maybe try replacing drv chip Yourself, it's not so difficult, I have few drv chips transplantations on my personal account, what You really need is heat gun/hot air soldering station, tweezers, kapton tape to protect jst connectors so they don't melt and some flux.

I think I have the same coulometer but have no idea how to turn the light on...it does turn on when I hold ok and power up , but that s only for the setup menu...care to share Squad? Btw Beautiful Board:D!!!

Really impressive work here Squad, I've been following along for awhile now :D

Been wanting to ask, where'd you find those power bottons for your ultrabox?

Squad said:
Mine turns on when board draws power, it's automatic. Thanks, I made some changes and almost all updates are in my thread on electric-skateboard.builders which is named almost the same.
Thanks for the quick answer... that was my last guess ...was doing just a bench test with a couple of 12v fans...i guess the load wasn t enough to trigger the light. I saw your updated post with the maytech escs , how do they perform?

Back